Top 54 attractions you must visit in North Ayrshire Council
Contents in This Page
About North Ayrshire Council
North Ayrshire is one of 32 council areas in Scotland. It has a population of roughly 135,280 people. It is located in the southwest of Scotland, and borders the areas of Inverclyde to the north, Renfrewshire to the northeast and East Ayrshire and South Ayrshire to the east and south respectively. North Ayrshire Council is a hung Council. North Ayrshire also forms part of the east coast of the Firth of Clyde.
Attractions in North Ayrshire Council
Ardrossan Castle is situated on the west coast of Scotland in the town of Ardrossan, Ayrshire. The castle, defended by a moat, stands on a ridge above the town. There is a keep dating from the fifteenth century, and a vaulted range containing a kitchen and cellars. In a deep passageway there is a well. Part of the keep remains up to the corbels of the parapet, but it is in ruins. The original castle, owned by Clan Barclay, was partly destroyed during the Wars of Scottish Independence.
The Isle of Arran Heritage Museum, founded in 1976 on the beautiful Island of Arran, Scotland. This museum of local history includes a restored blacksmith's shop, a milk house, a late 19th-century cottage, plus an exhibition area of displays of local history and archaeology. There is a footpath to Brodick Castle from the museum.
Auchrannie Resort was an eco-friendly resort located in the heart of North Ayrshire. It features 3 award-winning restaurants. Situated in Brodick, on the beautiful Isle of Arran, the hotel also has a beauty salon and gym. The leisure facilities include 2 indoor swimming pools, sauna and steam room facilities as well as a turbo spa. The Playbarn includes a large soft play area, a big-screen TV, a teen area with drinks and snacks available.
Ayrshire Coast Path is a spectacular 62-mile walk along a scenic coastline brimming with unforgettable sights. Beginning in Girvan, the trail winds its way along clifftops and sandy beaches, visiting an array of charming fishing settlements and historic landmarks along the way. The route is primarily designed for walkers, and as much of the middle and north sections are alongside beaches it is also suitable for horse riding. The northern section, between Ayr and Largs, is coincident with Nationa
Beinn Tarsuinn is a mountain on the Isle of Arran, Scotland. It is the southernmost of the four Corbetts on the island, lying between Glen Rosa to the east and Glen Iorsa to the west. It is often climbed in conjunction with the neighbouring peak of Cìr Mhòr, to which it is linked by a rocky ridge forming the subsidiary top of A' Chìr. The simplest and shortest route up Beinn Tarsuinn is via one of the two ridges on either side of the Coire a' Bhradain; both ridges drop down into Glen Rosa, the u
Caisteal Abhail is a summit in the Arran region or range in Scotland. Caisteal Abhail is 859 metres high. All the walking routes up Caisteal Abhail on Mud and Routes can be found below. The top can be identified by the rock. Other Notes: The summit is crowned with a series of rocky tors, and in poor visibility it may be difficult to ascertain which one marks the highest point.
Cìr Mhòr is a Corbett known as the Matterhorn of Arran. Its name means the "big comb", referring its resemblance to a cockscomb. It is separated from the island's highest peak, Goat Fell, by a col called The Saddle. Oneof the iconic location in this area and attracts a lot of adventure lovers.
Cleeves Cove is a cave system on the Dusk Water close to Dalry near Cleeves Farm and Blair Mill on the Blair Estate.n It has around 500 feet of passages. The cave has three practical entrances facing onto the Dusk Water. Many of the stalactites and stalagmites have been damaged by visitors. The cave has three practical entrances facing onto the Dusk Water.
Dalgarven Mills are situated in a tranquil rural setting directly off the A737, halfway between Kilwinning and Dalry. The Museum is housed in the historic grain mill constructed in 1880. Beautifully restored buildings offer the visitor a chance to step into the past. Experience the sight and sound of one of Scotland’s last working water wheel, powered by the River Garnock.
Eas a’ Chrannaig also known as the Glenashdale Falls is a waterfall on the island of Arran, Scotland. It has a series of falls on the Glenashdale Burn, which flows from moorland near the summit of Tighvein eastwards towards Whiting Bay, from which there is a tourist trail leading some 4 kilometres up Glenashdale.
Eas Mor is a dramatic waterfall set in beautiful woodlands near the southern tip of Arran, just north of Kildonan. A trail leads through the woodlands to several viewing platforms, and you can extend the walk to take in Loch Garbad. The last stop on the walk offers a dramatic view of the single, long plume of the waterfall that dives down the cliff face.
Eglinton Castle is a very ruinous old mansion on the site of a castle, once the splendid seat of the Montgomery Earls of Eglinton. At its height it was second only to Culzean Castle in its grandeur and scale. Eglinton is best remembered for the lavish, if ill-fated Eglinton Tournament, a medieval-style tournament organised in 1839 by the 13th Earl. It was now one of the famous attraction in this area.
Eglinton Country Park is a huge favourite open space for the local community in Ayrshire. Situated in the Garnock valley, Between Kilwinning and Irvine, this local treasure has something for everyone. This country park is set in 400 hectares of land cantered around the ruins of Eglinton Castle. Car parking is easy here and is extended for busy periods and special events. The visitor centre area boasts an information centre with local history exhibits, park maps, gift ideas and a cafe.
The Giants' Graves are the remains of two Neolithic chambered tombs surrounded by tall trees near Whiting Bay on Arran. The monument comprises two chambered Clyde type long cairns of the neolithic period, some 4500 to 5500 years old. The monument is of national importance because it represents the remains of two well preserved and substantial monuments which have the potential to provide information about Neolithic burial and ritual practices.
Glen Rosa is a glen near Goat Fell on the Isle of Arran in the Firth of Clyde, western Scotland. Glen Rosa can be reached from the road just outside Brodick. The trek up the glen is fairly low-lying, gaining less than 200 metres in altitude. There is a campsite at the foot of the glen.
Glengarnock Castle is an example of a keep with courtyard attached, of the period 1400-1542, and with various later buildings in the courtyard. The Barony of Glengarnock is one of three feudal baronies which together form the parish of Kilbirnie in the district of Cunningham which lies in north Ayrshire. The River Garnock flows through the village of the same name 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) to the south, but the name Glen Garnock applies more specifically to the ravine at Glengarnock Castle.
Goat Fell is the highest point on the Isle of Arran. At 874 metres, it is one of four Corbetts on the island. The mountain, along with nearby Brodick Castle, is now owned by the National Trust for Scotland. Goat Fell is a very popular peak and there are many possible routes of ascent, some of which may be combined with visits to the summits of other nearby peaks.
Holy Isle is an island in Lamlash Bay, just off the Isle of Arran. It was a sacred site dedicated to peace and well being, there is a Centre for World Peace and Health at the north of the island where an ongoing course and retreat programme takes place. Overnight guests are welcome to stay at the centre, which has guest house facilities. There is a closed Buddhist retreat at the south of the island.
Horse Isle is an uninhabited island located in the Firth of Clyde, Scotland near the seaside town of Ardrossan. It is a nature reserve, run by the RSPB. Two smaller islands, North Islet and East Islet, skirt the east coast of Horse Isle and a number of other rocks litter the sound between the island and the mainland. The 1788 survey of the Montgomery or Eglinton Estates by John Ainslie was completed in 1791 and records the name 'Robinson's Rock' off the East Islet and "Witherow's Rock" off the W