Get Travalour for free on Google Play

12 Old Ruins to explore in North Ayrshire Council

North Ayrshire Council

North Ayrshire is one of 32 council areas in Scotland. It has a population of roughly 135,280 people. It is located in the southwest of Scotland, and borders the areas of Inverclyde to the north, Renfrewshire to the northeast and East Ayrshire and South Ayrshire to the east and south respectively. North Ayrshire Council is a hung Council. North Ayrshire also forms part of the east coast of the Firth of Clyde.

Dalgarven Mill Museum Of Country Life & Costume
Dalgarven Mill Museum Of Country Life & CostumeDalgarven, Kilwinning KA13 6PL, UK

Dalgarven Mills are situated in a tranquil rural setting directly off the A737, halfway between Kilwinning and Dalry. The Museum is housed in the historic grain mill constructed in 1880. Beautifully restored buildings offer the visitor a chance to step into the past. Experience the sight and sound of one of Scotland’s last working water wheel, powered by the River Garnock.

Eglinton Castle
Eglinton CastleKilwinning KA13 7QA, UK

Eglinton Castle is a very ruinous old mansion on the site of a castle, once the splendid seat of the Montgomery Earls of Eglinton. At its height it was second only to Culzean Castle in its grandeur and scale. Eglinton is best remembered for the lavish, if ill-fated Eglinton Tournament, a medieval-style tournament organised in 1839 by the 13th Earl. It was now one of the famous attraction in this area.

Giants' Graves
Giants' GravesNational Cycle Route 8, Isle of Arran KA27 8QW, UK

The Giants' Graves are the remains of two Neolithic chambered tombs surrounded by tall trees near Whiting Bay on Arran. The monument comprises two chambered Clyde type long cairns of the neolithic period, some 4500 to 5500 years old. The monument is of national importance because it represents the remains of two well preserved and substantial monuments which have the potential to provide information about Neolithic burial and ritual practices.

Glengarnock Castle
Glengarnock CastleKilbirnie KA25 7JZ, UK

Glengarnock Castle is an example of a keep with courtyard attached, of the period 1400-1542, and with various later buildings in the courtyard. The Barony of Glengarnock is one of three feudal baronies which together form the parish of Kilbirnie in the district of Cunningham which lies in north Ayrshire. The River Garnock flows through the village of the same name 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) to the south, but the name Glen Garnock applies more specifically to the ravine at Glengarnock Castle.

Hunterston Castle
Hunterston CastleCastle Ave, Hunterston, West Kilbride KA23 9QG, UK

Hunterston Castle was originally situated in an area of marsh, and was defended by a moat and rampart, all of which have now disappeared. It now consists of a rectangular, 16th century, keep, three storeys aand a garret high. A 17th century addition extends to the S, with modern work to the W, the whole forming three sides of a courtyard. The early addition is two storeys and an attic in height, part of it is still occupied. The estate was granted to the Hunters by David I of Scotland in the 12t

Kelburn Castle and Estate
Kelburn Castle and EstateKelburn Estate, Fairlie, Largs KA29 0BE, UK

Kelburn Castle is a large house near Fairlie, North Ayrshire, Scotland. It is the seat of the Earl of Glasgow. Originally built in the thirteenth century it was remodelled in the sixteenth century. In 1700 the first Earl made further extensions to the house in a manner not unlike a French château which is virtually how it appears today. In 1977 the house and grounds opened to the public as a country park. It is one of the oldest castles in Scotland and has been continuously inhabited by the same

Kerelaw Castle
Kerelaw CastleStevenston KA20 4BT, UK

Kerelaw Castle is an altered massive ruined 13th- or 14th-century tower and courtyard, which is much overgrown. It was situated on the coast of North Ayrshire, Scotland in the town of Stevenston. Kerelaw Castle is now a ruin, with three walls surviving in various states of decay. Gothic windows still adorn the southern wall, believed to have been inspired by those at Kilwinning Abbey

Kilwinning Abbey
Kilwinning Abbey65 Main St, Kilwinning KA13 6AN, UK

Kilwinning Abbey is a Benedictine monastery founded sometime around 1162. A rich, flourishing monastery for 400 years, it once covered several acres. As an incredibly wealthy establishment, the Abbey and its contents proved dangerously attractive to the aristocracy and it is recorded that the Earls of Glencairn and Angus joined forces as early as 1512, entered the abbey precincts, and tried to physically force Abbot William Bunche to resign in favour of the preceptor of Glasgow, John Forman.

Little Cumbrae Castle

This beautiful castle sits on a tidal island adjacent to Little Cumbrae House on the east side of the island. It is a plain keep of the 14th century and comparible in the style to nearby Law, Fairlie and Skelmorlie Castles. The present small square castle of Little or Lesser Cumbrae was built by Lord Eglinton in the 16th century, possibly as a base to prevent deer and rabbit poaching; both animals being very common on the main island of Little Cumbrae at the time.

Machrie Moor Standing Stones
Machrie Moor Standing StonesIsle of Arran KA27 8EA, UK

This rich archaeological landscape includes stone circles, standing stones, burial cairns and cists, as well as hut circles and an extensive field system, all dating to between 3500 and 1500 BC. The stone circles were preceded by elaborate timber circles on exactly the same sites. They were associated with religious activities dating back around 4,500 years. Cremation and inhumation burials were placed in the circles, long after they were first built.

Portencross Castle
Portencross CastlePortencross Rd, Portencross, West Kilbride KA23 9QA, UK

Portencross Castle, also known historically as Portincross Castle, is situated in Portencross, on the west coast of Scotland, about 3 km from West Kilbride. The site has been fortified since the 11th Century. The present tower castle is thought to date from the mid-14th Century and later. It remained in use until it was unroofed by a great storm in 1739 and gradually became ruinous. The castle was designated as a scheduled ancient monument in 1955.

Stanecastle
StanecastleStanecastle, Irvine KA11 4HU, UK

Stanecastle was a medieval barony and estate in North Ayrshire, Scotland, first mentioned in 1363 and now part of the Irvine New Town project. Its nearest neighbours are Bourtreehill and Girdle Toll. In the middle-ages, Stanecastle gave way to the ever expanding Eglinton Empire and William Francis of Stane passed his estate on to the Earls of Eglinton in the 15th century. Campbell states that the present castle was built in 1520 by Montgomerie of Greenfield, a cadet branch.

Map of Old Ruins to explore in North Ayrshire Council