3 Churches to explore in North Ayrshire Council
North Ayrshire is one of 32 council areas in Scotland. It has a population of roughly 135,280 people. It is located in the southwest of Scotland, and borders the areas of Inverclyde to the north, Renfrewshire to the northeast and East Ayrshire and South Ayrshire to the east and south respectively. North Ayrshire Council is a hung Council. North Ayrshire also forms part of the east coast of the Firth of Clyde.
Kilwinning Abbey is a Benedictine monastery founded sometime around 1162. A rich, flourishing monastery for 400 years, it once covered several acres. As an incredibly wealthy establishment, the Abbey and its contents proved dangerously attractive to the aristocracy and it is recorded that the Earls of Glencairn and Angus joined forces as early as 1512, entered the abbey precincts, and tried to physically force Abbot William Bunche to resign in favour of the preceptor of Glasgow, John Forman.
The Heritage Centre is housed in the former Ardrossan Parish Church which was built in 1773 on the site of an earlier church of 1744. North Ayrshire Museum was established in 1957 by Owen Kelly, a local businessman, to preserve items of local interest. It was run as a private concern until 1975 when Cunninghame District Council shouldered the responsibility of looking after the building and collection. In 2010 the Museum merged with Local and Family History Library to become the North Ayrshire H
St Molios Church stands next to the main road through the village of Shiskine, the only significant settlement on the Isle of Arran not sited on the coast. Popularly known as the "Red Church", for obvious reasons, it was built in 1889 by the architect Sir John James Burnet. The process by which the church came to be dedicated to St Molaise is a complex one. Molios was an Irish monk called Molaise who, in the late 500s spent some years in a cave on Holy Island in Lamlash Bay, on the east side of