Top 11 attractions to explore in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya is one of Thailand’s historical and majestic highlights of Thailand. Ayutthaya was the capital of Thailand for 417 years. Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya features numerous attractions such as the Ayutthaya Historical Park(UNESCO World Heritage site.) and many old ruins.
The Historic City of Ayutthaya, founded in 1350, was the second capital of the Siamese Kingdom. It flourished from the 14th to the 18th centuries, during which time it grew to be one of the world’s largest and most cosmopolitan urban areas and a center of global diplomacy and commerce. At present, it is located in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province. The total area of the World Heritage property is 289 ha.
Bang Pa-In Royal Palace, also known as the Summer Palace, is a palace complex formerly used by the Thai kings. It lies beside the Chao Phraya River, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province. King Prasat Thong constructed the original complex in 1632, but it fell into disuse and became overgrown in the late 18th and early 19th centuries until King Mongkut began to restore the site in the mid-19th century. Most of the present buildings were constructed between 1872 and 1889 by King Chulalongkorn.
Wat Kudi Dao, also known as “Wat Kudee Dao” or “Wat Kudidao”, is a restored ruin of a Buddhist monastery in Ayutthaya district. Dubbed the Monastery of the Star Dormitory, restoration work began in 1711 and was completed in 1715. The temple was the residence of an important priest called Phra Then Muni who advised Prince Borommkot, the leader who had overlooked the restoration work.
The Wat Mahathat is a Buddhist temple in Ayutthaya, central Thailand. It Is one of the temples in the Ayutthaya Historical Park Wat Mahathat is an important temple in the Ayutthaya period. Because it is the temple that enshrines the relics of the city center And is the residence of the patriarch This temple was constructed and maintained at all times until it was destroyed and abandoned after the second time.
Wat Maheyong is a Buddhist temple in Ayutthaya, Thailand. It was originally built in 1438, during the reign of King Borommarachathirat II, and restored in 1711 by King Thai Sa. The major buildings in this temple are its chedi and ubosot. The chedi's platform is supported by 80 sculpted elephants, and its ubosot is currently under worship.
Wat Niwet Thammaprawat was built in 1876 in the reign of King Rama V, the first Thai king who visited Europe. This Gothic-style buddhist temple on a small island served as a royal temple when the King and his family spent their summer in the nearby Bang Pa-in Palace. Several European style buildings were also constructed in the compound. They are currently used as library, offices, monk residences, and also a school where novices and monks receive their formal and religious education.
Wat Phanan Choeng is famous for its enormous seated Buddha image, considered to be one of the most beautiful in the country. According to legend tears shed from the eyes of the image just before the destruction of Ayutthaya by the Burmese in 1767. The temple is located on the banks of the Pa Sak river opposite the South East tip of the historical island. From a riverboat you will have great views of the monastery.
This monastery was constructed in 1350 as a royal temple inside the Grand Palace compound where some former kings lived when Ayutthaya was the capital of Siam. The three iconic bell-shaped pagodas on a high platform contain the ashes of three great Ayutthaya kings. As it was a royal temple and used only for royal ceremonies, there was no residential quarter for monks. The same tradition applies to the current royal temple, Wat Phra Kaew, in Bangkok.
Wat Ratchaburana, which translates to “the temple of Royal Restoration” was built in 1424 by King Borommarachathirat II as a memorial to his two elder brothers. It is located on the historical island near Wat Mahathat. When it was constructed it was accessible by boat as it was on the banks of a canal, that has been filled up about a century ago.
Wat Worachettharam is an ancient temple in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya province, central Thailand, located in inner-city of Ayutthaya, also known as Ayutthaya Island, hence the other name Wat Worachet Nai Ko. Originally it was named Wat Chao Chet later it was renamed by King Ekathotsarot to Wat Worachettharam, which means "temple of sublime elder brother"
Wat Yai Chai Mongkol (or Mongkhon) is located a few kilometers southeast of Ayutthaya (island). You'll have to cross the Pridithamrong bridge out of the city. It obviously is one of the major temples in the Ayutthaya area, and both tourists and local worshippers visit the wat. Logistically, visiting this temple can be well combined with a visit to Wat Phanan Choeng
Map of attractions in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya