Top 12 attractions to explore in Glynn County
One of the beautiful countys in Georgia and it includes the most prominent of the Sea Islands of Georgia, including Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, and Sea Island and so more are there.
Attractions in Glynn County
Faith Chapel is a historic chapel on Old Plantation Road in Jekyll Island, Georgia and was built in 1904. It was used as a non-denominational chapel until 1942. The interior and exterior walls are shingled, with gargoyles that are replicas of the ones at Notre Dame Cathedral. The chapel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and it is open to the public.
Fort Frederica National Monument, on St. Simons Island, Georgia, preserves the archaeological remnants of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748 to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids. About 630 British troops were stationed at the fort.
Gascoigne Bluff is a bluff next to the Frederica River on the western side of the island of St. Simons, Georgia which was a Native American campground, the site of a Franciscan monastery named San Buenaventura, and the site of the Province of Georgia's first naval base. This area was one of several St. Simons Island plantations owned by John Couper who lived at Cannon Point, St. Simons Island, and who donated his library of 20,000 volumes to the Library of Congress.
Georgia Sea Turtle Center is a nature center and rescue and rehabilitation facility for sea turtles on Jekyll Island, Georgia, United States. The Center features interactive exhibits and patient viewing areas. In addition to caring for sick and injured turtles, the Center has an educational mission and presents daily programs, field trips, guided tours and beach walks.
The Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation was a plantation on the Altamaha River, in Glynn County, Georgia. It produced rice from 1800 until 1915, when growing rice became unprofitable. Then it was primarily a dairy farm until 1942. The plantation site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and is operated as a Georga State Historic Site. The Georgia Department of Natural Resources manages 1,268 acres of land and 696 acres of marsh.
Horton House is a historic site on Riverview Drive in Jekyll Island, Georgia which was originally constructed in 1743 by Major William Horton, a top military aide to General James Oglethorpe. This structure has been meticulously preserved over the past 100 years as an example of coastal Georgia building techniques and as one of the oldest surviving buildings in the state.
The Rockefeller Cottage, also known as Indian Mound Cottage, is a house on Jekyll Island, Georgia. It is next to the Jekyll Island Club. It stands three stories high, and has a total of 25 rooms. There are nine bedrooms, nine bathrooms, and seven servant rooms. The house has many distinguishing features such as an elevator, a cedar-lined walk-in safe, and taps for hot and cold salt water on the bathtub in the master bedroom bath. Tours of the mansion are provided by the Jekyll Island Museum.
Jekyll Island is located off the coast of the U.S. state of Georgia, in Glynn County. It is one of the Sea Islands and one of the Golden Isles of Georgia barrier islands. A popular tourist destination, the island has beaches frequented by vacationers. Guided tours of the Landmark Historic District are available. Bike trails walks along the beaches and sandbars, and Summer Waves, a water park, are among the active attractions.
The MOSAIC is a history museum in the historic district of Jekyll Island of Georgia, in the United States. The museum features more exhibit space, more artifacts, a new outdoor classroom, and a new multi-purpose room. Constructed completely within the current footprint of the historic stables building, the new design highlights the building’s construction with high, lofted ceilings and open space.
St. Simons Island is a barrier island and census-designated place located on St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia, United States. The primary mode of travel to the island is by automobile via F.J. Torras Causeway. Malcolm McKinnon Airport serves general aviation on the island.
The Sidney Lanier Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge that spans the Brunswick River in Brunswick, Georgia, carrying four lanes of U.S. Route 17. The current bridge was built as a replacement to the original vertical-lift bridge, which was twice struck by ships. It is currently the longest-spanning bridge in Georgia and is 480 feet tall.
Map of attractions in Glynn County