Gascoigne Bluff, St Simons, GA 31522, USA
About Gascoigne Bluff
Gascoigne Bluff is a bluff next to the Frederica River on the western side of the island of St. Simons, Georgia which was a Native American campground, the site of a Franciscan monastery named San Buenaventura, and the site of the Province of Georgia's first naval base. This area was one of several St. Simons Island plantations owned by John Couper who lived at Cannon Point, St. Simons Island, and who donated his library of 20,000 volumes to the Library of Congress.
Attractions near Gascoigne Bluff
St. Simons Island is a barrier island and census-designated place located on St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia, United States. The primary mode of travel to the island is by automobile via F.J. Torras Causeway. Malcolm McKinnon Airport serves general aviation on the island.
The St. Simons Island Light is a lighthouse on the southern tip of St. Simons Island, Georgia, United States. It guides ships into St. Simons Sound and warns of the many sandbars in the area.
Fort Frederica National Monument, on St. Simons Island, Georgia, preserves the archaeological remnants of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748 to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids. About 630 British troops were stationed at the fort.
Horton House is a historic site on Riverview Drive in Jekyll Island, Georgia which was originally constructed in 1743 by Major William Horton, a top military aide to General James Oglethorpe. This structure has been meticulously preserved over the past 100 years as an example of coastal Georgia building techniques and as one of the oldest surviving buildings in the state.
The Sidney Lanier Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge that spans the Brunswick River in Brunswick, Georgia, carrying four lanes of U.S. Route 17. The current bridge was built as a replacement to the original vertical-lift bridge, which was twice struck by ships. It is currently the longest-spanning bridge in Georgia and is 480 feet tall.
Jekyll Island is located off the coast of the U.S. state of Georgia, in Glynn County. It is one of the Sea Islands and one of the Golden Isles of Georgia barrier islands. A popular tourist destination, the island has beaches frequented by vacationers. Guided tours of the Landmark Historic District are available. Bike trails walks along the beaches and sandbars, and Summer Waves, a water park, are among the active attractions.
Where is Gascoigne Bluff
Discover more attractions in Glynn County, where Gascoigne Bluff is located