Fort Frederica National Monument
6515 Frederica Rd, St Simons, GA 31522, USA
About Fort Frederica National Monument
Fort Frederica National Monument, on St. Simons Island, Georgia, preserves the archaeological remnants of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748 to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids. About 630 British troops were stationed at the fort.
Attractions near Fort Frederica National Monument
Gascoigne Bluff is a bluff next to the Frederica River on the western side of the island of St. Simons, Georgia which was a Native American campground, the site of a Franciscan monastery named San Buenaventura, and the site of the Province of Georgia's first naval base. This area was one of several St. Simons Island plantations owned by John Couper who lived at Cannon Point, St. Simons Island, and who donated his library of 20,000 volumes to the Library of Congress.
St. Simons Island is a barrier island and census-designated place located on St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia, United States. The primary mode of travel to the island is by automobile via F.J. Torras Causeway. Malcolm McKinnon Airport serves general aviation on the island.
The St. Simons Island Light is a lighthouse on the southern tip of St. Simons Island, Georgia, United States. It guides ships into St. Simons Sound and warns of the many sandbars in the area.
The Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation was a plantation on the Altamaha River, in Glynn County, Georgia. It produced rice from 1800 until 1915, when growing rice became unprofitable. Then it was primarily a dairy farm until 1942. The plantation site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and is operated as a Georga State Historic Site. The Georgia Department of Natural Resources manages 1,268 acres of land and 696 acres of marsh.
Horton House is a historic site on Riverview Drive in Jekyll Island, Georgia which was originally constructed in 1743 by Major William Horton, a top military aide to General James Oglethorpe. This structure has been meticulously preserved over the past 100 years as an example of coastal Georgia building techniques and as one of the oldest surviving buildings in the state.
The Sidney Lanier Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge that spans the Brunswick River in Brunswick, Georgia, carrying four lanes of U.S. Route 17. The current bridge was built as a replacement to the original vertical-lift bridge, which was twice struck by ships. It is currently the longest-spanning bridge in Georgia and is 480 feet tall.
Where is Fort Frederica National Monument
Discover more attractions in Glynn County, where Fort Frederica National Monument is located