128 Churches to explore in Philippines
The Philippines, island country of Southeast Asia in the western Pacific Ocean. It is an archipelago consisting of some 7,100 islands and islets lying about 500 miles off the coast of Vietnam.
This shrine marks the Philippines' most historic window: on June 12, 1898, Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo declared the independence of the Philippines, ending the 333 years of Spanish rule. The window, now renovated and converted into the Balcony of Independence, is the centerpiece of the Aguinaldo Shrine in Kawit, Cavite. There are so many things to see and study in and outside of this shrine and The tower, the most prominent part of the mansion provides a sweeping view of Cavite, Manila, and Bataan.
This is a 17th century Roman Catholic wooden image of the Blessed Virgin Mary venerated in the Philippines. The image, a Black Madonna that represents the Immaculate Conception, is enshrined in Antipolo Cathedral in the Sierra Madre mountains east of Metro Manila. he statue is one of the most celebrated images of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Philippines, gaining devotees since the mid-19th century, having been mentioned by José Rizal in his writings.
A Catholic church located at Barangay Santa Ana, Taguig. The church houses the Museo De Sta. Ana, which contains religious relics and repository of artifacts detailing the rich religious culture and history of Taguig since 1857. The structure of the church follows the barn-style Baroque architecture design "with its very defined articulation of both vertical and horizontal bays topped by a simple triangular pediment."
The Church of Immaculada Concepcion in Baclayon is considered to be one of the oldest in the Philippines. Construction began in 1717 where some 200 native forced laborers cut and dragged coral blocks from the sea, using only bamboos in moving and lifting the stones in position. The church is now one of the great pilgrimage centers in the Philippines.
The Church of the Infant is located near the Magellan's Cross and was rebuilt in 1740. It has been more than 200 years old and is the old Roman Catholic church in the Philippines. There is a statue of a young Jesus in a room in the Church of the Infant. It is said that Magellan gave the Queen of Cebu in 1521, and many locals will line up to pray.
A Roman Catholic Minor Basilica which was located in the Naga City. It is one of the largest Marian Pilgrimage Sites in Asia. It is the only Basilica in the Bicol Region and the whole Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Caceres. It houses an image of the Virgin Mary that was sculpted in 1710. It was one of the popular attractions in this area.
The Bell Church is a magnificent Taoist Church that sits between Baguio City and La Trinidad, Benguet. Part of the reason why the Bell Church might be missed is because it has typically not been offered as a part of the local tours offered by travel agencies because it sits just a bit outside of the normal routes of things to see when you are visiting Baguio City. It is a site you don’t want to miss, but you have to go a little out of your way to see it.
The original structure of the Binondo Church, formally known as Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish was constructed in 1596. Founded by Dominican friars, it is one of the oldest places of Christian worship in the Philippines. Most parts of the church was collapsed and the octagonal bell tower, however, is the only significant remaining part of the original structure. It was reconstructed in three phases and completed in 1984 and ti was now one of the key attractions in this area.
The Saint John of Sahagun Parish Church, locally known as the Candon Church, is a church situated in the city of Candon, Ilocos Sur, Philippines. Constructed with an Earthquake Baroque design, the church is maintained and is still being used up to present. The church’s four-story octagonal bell tower has an alternating open and blind apertures, a balustrade, and is topped by a campanile.
Founded in 1795 as a Parochial Church by the Augustinian Recollect priests under the patronage of Nuestra Señora del Pilar and St. John the Baptist, and by the administration of Fr. Francisco de Santiago, OAR, as its first Parish Priest. The present church was made up beautifully by stone and bricks and it was declared a Cathedral and the Seat of the Diocese of Imus, with Nuestra Señora del Pilar as its titular Patroness.
Saint Joseph the Patriarch Church stands out in the town of Aguilar because of its unique color. Painted in a bit of pink, Saint Joseph the Patriarch Church is regarded as the only church in Aguilar, being visited by devotees and locals of all 16 barangays. Construction of the tower began in 1846, with its extravagant church bells arriving in 1886, still holding up to this day thanks to recent renovations. It is surrounded by elementary and high schools, both of which are under the jurisdiction
The city’s church and convent were built in 1714 by Dominican Fr. Agustin Esquivel and renovated by Fr. Benito Rivas who strengthened the church by raising and fortifying its wall. During World War II, the cathedral was used by the Japanese 14th Army as an artillery emplacement to bombard Mt. Samat, where the Filipino-American troops were making their last stand. It is one of the historically important palce in this area and it is always crowded by the tourists.
One of the oldest churches in Pangasinan, St. James the Great Parish Church in Bolinao, Pangasinan was constructed in the 1600s using native materials that include wood, ground coral stones, rocks, and eggs. The church remains the center of the catholic faith in Bolinao and served as shelter from pirate raids as well as during the second world war.
Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral is a wide religious structure of Spanish colonial design. Built between the 17th and 20th centuries, it is among the most important emblems of Catholicism in the Philippines. Inspect the statues of religious figures that decorate the square outside the church.
A huge old church which was located in the heart of the Mountain province. This church is known for its architecture and The church is subsequently a member of the Episcopal Church in the Philippines and American historian William Henry Scott was buried in its grounds on October 10, 1993.
The Church of the Gesu is the Roman Catholic church of the Ateneo de Manila University campus in Quezon City in the Philippines. The landmark becomes designed via Jose Pedro Recio and Carmelo Casas. The edifice’s huge triangular structure symbolizes the Holy Trinity, as well as the 3-fold challenge and vision of the college. It was one of the main attraction in this area.
Dambanang Kawayan, officially known as Saint John the Baptist Parish, is a Roman Catholic parish church located in Barangay Ligid-Tipas in Taguig, Philippines. This church of Tipas formerly belonged to the Immaculate Conception Parish of Pasig and later transferred to the Shrine of Saint Anne in Sta. it was now one of the main attractions in this area.
Also known as OLA Church, this Spanish-era church is located along J. P. Rizal Street in Santa Elena. The church was started by the Augustinians in 1687 and was finished in 1690. On October 21, 1791, the whole parish was consecrated under the Marian title, Nuestra Sra. Delos Desamparados, the second oldest parish in the Philippines after that of Sta.