Top 23 attractions to explore in Pondicherry
The Puducherry district, also known by its former name Pondicherry district, is one of the four districts of the Union Territory of Puducherry in southern India. The district occupies an area of 290 square kilometres spread over 11 non-contiguous enclaves lying on or near the Bay of Bengal within a compact area in the state of Tamil Nadu. According to the 2011 census, the district has a population of 950,289.
The Kargil War Memorial was built by the Indian Army in remembrance of soldiers who fought the dreaded and unforgettable war of Kargil. It is located opposite to the Chief Secretariat Office, at the northern end of the main Puducherry Beach. The main memorial has an inscription on a marble plate that says “Government of India War Memorial” with a rifle and a soldier’s cap over it. There is an array of stone pillars of variable lengths that surround the memorial.
Aayi Mandapam is a white monument in Pondicherry, India built during the time of Napoleon III, Emperor of France. It is situated in center of Bharathi park. The monument commemorates the provision of water to the French city during his reign. It was named after a lady courtesan called Ayi. She destroyed her own house to erect a water reservoir to supply water for the city.
Arikamedu is an archaeological site in Southern India, in Kakkayanthope, Ariyankuppam Commune, Puducherry. It is 4 kilometres from the capital, Pondicherry of the Indian territory of Puducherry. The site was identified as the port of Podouke, known as an "emporium" in the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea and Ptolemy. Digs have found Amphorae, Arretine ware, Roman lamps, glassware, glass and stone beads, and gems at the site.
Auro beach is great place to enjoy the cool waters and calming breeze. As with the Serenity beach, this is comparatively less crowded than the other beaches of Pondicherry. Even the ride towards the beach is amazingly peaceful with trees providing a cool shade. Although is beach is not very clean, it is still flocked by many locals, especially youngsters. Numerous people can be seen taking evening walks and enjoying the mesmerizing view of the sunset.
Featuring six gorgeous fountains, a large aquarium with ornamental fishes, Japanese rock, dancing fountain and a beautiful children's train, the Botanical Garden of Pondicherry is truly an unmissable attraction. Established in the year 1826 by C.S. Perrotet, this 22-acre park is located favourably near the southern entrance of Pondicherry's New Bus Stand. Over 1500 species of plants populate this park – some of which are indigenous to the region and some brought from other parts of the world.
Immaculate Conception Cathedral is the cathedral mother church for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Pondicherry and Cuddalore. It is located in the Union Territory of Puducherry. It is also known as "Samba Kovil", which is a phonetic corruption of "Saint Paul’s Kovil" where "Kovil" means church.
Bharathiar Memorial Museum cum Research Centre located at Puducherry was established commemorating the renowned Tamil poet and freedom fighter Subramanya Bharathiyar, popularly entitled the sobriquet "Mahakavi", literally the supreme poet. The museum was established in the very abode of Bharathiyar, where the poet took refuge from the ruling British Raj, from 1908 to 1918, when Puducherry (erstwhile Pondicherry) was governed by the French regime.
The Statue of Mahatma Gandhi is located on the beachfront of Pondicherry. Built by the famous sculptor Roy Choudhary from Madras School of Art and Crafts, it is one of the major landmarks in Pondicherry. It is surrounded by eight exquisitely carved monolithic granite pillars which were brought from Gingee Fort. The statue stands 4 m (13 feet) high is the 3rd biggest Mahatma Gandhi statue. It was inaugurated on January 26, 1965. The square in front of the statue referred to as Gandhi Thidal, play
The statue of Joseph Francois Dupleix is situated in the children's park on the beach road. Dupleix was one of the most popular French governors to Pondicherry. He tried to prevent British supremacy by forming alliances with local princes. With the defeat of French in the Second Carnatic War, Dupleix resigned his governorship and returned to France.
A lighthouse was constructed in Pondicherry in the nineteenth century by the French rulers. A new lighthouse was constructed in 20th century by the government of India. The old lighthouse had first beamed light on 1 September 1836. The new lighthouse (11°55′00″N 79°49′51″E) started functioning in 1979
In nineteenth century, the only light to guide ships coming to Pondicherry was atop the Red Hills which was inadequate. The project was finally taken up during the tenure of Governor Saint Simon in 1835. Louis Guerre was the engineer of the project. The foundation stone for the lighthouse was laid at the end of 1835 and the inauguration ceremony took place in February 1836.
Our Lady of Angels Church is the fourth oldest church in Puducherry, a Union territory in South India. The original structure was built in Greco Roman architecture by Napoleon III in 1855, with the architect being Louis Guerre. It is the only church that offers mass in three languages namely French, Tamil and English.
Ousteri lake is one of the famous wetlands of Asia. This is the most freshwater lake in the union territory of Pondicherry. If you are looking for a place for a nice evening stroll, this lake is the best option. You can also see a lot of birds here, during the months of March and October. There is a chance to get a boat ride costing rs. 100 per person from the boating point near the lake. It is also called as Osudu Lake. It is located at a distance of 10 km from Pondicherry.
Paradise Beach, also known as Plage Paradiso, is an isolated beach located at Chunnambar. This is one of the most famous Pondicherry Beaches and also one of the best places to experience Pondicherry Tourism. Paradise Beach is another popular attraction not to miss in Pondicherry tour packages. The beach is extremely attractive as the sands are very clean and the water is crystal clear. Paradise Beach is situated close to Cuddalore main road and it houses the famous Chunnambar resort.
Raj Niwas is the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry. It is located in Puducherry's capital city of Pondicherry. The present lieutenant governor of Puducherry is Dr. Kiran Bedi. Once it was the official residence of the French Governors.
The Romain Rolland Library, founded in 1827 as the Bibliothèque Publique, is one of the oldest Libraries of India located in the union territory of Puducherry. In the year 1966 when the birth centenary of the Great French Scholar, Romain Rolland who was also a contemporary and a close friend of Mahatma Gandhi was celebrated, the Library was renamed after him and ever since it is known as ‘Romain Rolland Library’
Serenity Beach as its name suggests is a tranquil spot along the Bay of Bengal. Beautiful and scenic, the name is very apt for this beach. Bathed in warm golden sand with a trail of rocks leading to the sea, it is perfect for calm days.
The Sri Aurobindo Ashram is a spiritual community ashram located in Pondicherry, in the Indian territory of Puducherry. The ashram grew out of a small community of disciples who had gathered around Sri Aurobindo after he retired from politics and settled in Pondicherry in 1910. On 24 November 1926, after a major spiritual realization,
Map of attractions in Pondicherry