Marimalai, Maraimalai Adigal Salai, Near Anna Statue, Ambedkar Nagar, Orleanpet, Puducherry, 605001, India
About Botanical Garden
Featuring six gorgeous fountains, a large aquarium with ornamental fishes, Japanese rock, dancing fountain and a beautiful children's train, the Botanical Garden of Pondicherry is truly an unmissable attraction. Established in the year 1826 by C.S. Perrotet, this 22-acre park is located favourably near the southern entrance of Pondicherry's New Bus Stand. Over 1500 species of plants populate this park – some of which are indigenous to the region and some brought from other parts of the world.
Attractions near Botanical Garden
The Sacred Heart Basilica situated on the south boulevard of Pondicherry in Puducherry, India, is an oriental specimen of Gothic architecture. It contains rare stained glass panels depicting events from the life of Christ and saints of the Catholic Church. In recent years it has become one of the famous pilgrimage spots for Christians.
Immaculate Conception Cathedral is the cathedral mother church for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Pondicherry and Cuddalore. It is located in the Union Territory of Puducherry. It is also known as "Samba Kovil", which is a phonetic corruption of "Saint Paul’s Kovil" where "Kovil" means church.
Our Lady of Angels Church is the fourth oldest church in Puducherry, a Union territory in South India. The original structure was built in Greco Roman architecture by Napoleon III in 1855, with the architect being Louis Guerre. It is the only church that offers mass in three languages namely French, Tamil and English.
Aayi Mandapam is a white monument in Pondicherry, India built during the time of Napoleon III, Emperor of France. It is situated in center of Bharathi park. The monument commemorates the provision of water to the French city during his reign. It was named after a lady courtesan called Ayi. She destroyed her own house to erect a water reservoir to supply water for the city.
Raj Niwas is the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry. It is located in Puducherry's capital city of Pondicherry. The present lieutenant governor of Puducherry is Dr. Kiran Bedi. Once it was the official residence of the French Governors.
The statue of Joseph Francois Dupleix is situated in the children's park on the beach road. Dupleix was one of the most popular French governors to Pondicherry. He tried to prevent British supremacy by forming alliances with local princes. With the defeat of French in the Second Carnatic War, Dupleix resigned his governorship and returned to France.
Where is Botanical Garden
Discover more attractions in Pondicherry, where Botanical Garden is located
The Puducherry district, also known by its former name Pondicherry district, is one of the four districts of the Union Territory of Puducherry in southern India. The district occupies an area of 290 square kilometres spread over 11 non-contiguous enclaves lying on or near the Bay of Bengal within a compact area in the state of Tamil Nadu. According to the 2011 census, the district has a population of 950,289.