20 Attractions to Explore Near Douglas Castle

Activities Around

Vector image of nearby attractions

Attractions & Activities Near You

Checkout attractions and activities near your current location

All attractions near Douglas Castle

Corra Castle

Corra Castle

10.39km from Douglas Castle

Corra Castle is a ruined 16th-century castle within the Corehouse Estate near New Lanark, Scotland. It overlooks Corra Linn, one of the four waterfalls which make up the Falls of Clyde. In 1967 it became a scheduled monument. The site was chosen because it was seen as being impregnable, as it is surrounded by sharp cliffs on three sides. It features a ha-ha as part of its design, offering an unobstructed view of the surrounding countryside.

Tinto

Tinto

11.34km from Douglas Castle

Tinto is an isolated hill in the Southern Uplands of Scotland. It comprises little more than one top, which stands on the west bank of the River Clyde, some 8 kilometres west of Biggar. The peak is also called "Tinto Tap", with the name Tinto possibly deriving from the Scottish Gaelic word teinnteach, meaning "fiery", which may refer to its ancient past as a look out beacon. Further known as the "Hill of Fire" it is also suggested exposed red hue felsite rock visible in many places on the hill h

Castlebank Park

Castlebank Park

12.09km from Douglas Castle

Castlebank Park in Lanark is one of Scotland’s 71 Green Flag Parks. Free to visit, the park is open to the public all year and is very popular with families, dog walkers and nature enthusiasts. The park features beautiful garden areas, a Wildflower & Tree Trail, picnic benches, children’s play area and Horticulture Centre. The park is situated near the former site of Lanark Castle where the Sheriff of Lanark was slain by William Wallace in revenge for the murder of Marion Braidfute in 1297.

Lanark Loch

Lanark Loch

12.67km from Douglas Castle

Lanark Loch is a man-made loch in the town of Lanark, South Lanarkshire, situated 2 kilometres south east of Lanark town centre. Covering an area of 4.9 hectares , it was built in the 19th century by the architect Hugh Marr at a place where there was a small pond which had previously been used by a local curling club. There is a small wooded island in the loch.

The Carmichael Estate

The Carmichael Estate

12.73km from Douglas Castle

Carmichael Estate is Scotland’s oldest farming family business at the source of the Carmichael name. Located in the Scottish Borders between Lanark & Biggar. The Estate has 13 quality assured self-catering holiday cottages which are dotted around the beautiful and historic Estate. Their farm butchery produces award winning ‘single malt’ meats including venison, beef and lamb. Our meats are available in our farm shop as well as in the tearoom/bistro and at farmers’ markets.

Cartland Bridge

Cartland Bridge

12.92km from Douglas Castle

Cartland Bridge is one of the many intact similarly designed canal bridges built to span the Grand Canal by the Grand Canal Company. This section of the canal was opened in 1797. The voussoirs and string course contrast with the random rubble walls of the bridge providing textural variation. The carved name and date plaques are notable features on the bridge. It is notable for being the highest bridge over inland water in Scotland.It is a category B listed building.

Cartland Craigs

Cartland Craigs

13.26km from Douglas Castle

Cartland Craigs is one of the most dramatic of the Clyde Valley's wooded gorges. The best starting point is the small car park by Cartland Bridge. This walk can be combined with Cleghorn Glen to give a fantastic full day's walking. It is a national nature reserve and is one of six areas which together form the Clyde Valley Woodlands.

Cairn Table

Cairn Table

14km from Douglas Castle

Cairn Table is a hill just south of Muirkirk. On the summit are two large cairns; one is largely intact, but the other was heavily robbed of stone to build a large monument to the people of Muirkirk who fought in the 1914-1918 war. Nearby are sites where agate stones can be found and these were worked into stone tools during the mesolithic period and assorted scrapers and cutters and other simple stone tools have been found in the area. It will be a new experience visiting this area.

Lee Castle

Lee Castle

14.73km from Douglas Castle

Lee Castle, also known as The Lee, is a castellated mansion in Auchenglen, a branch of the Clyde Valley in South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It is located 1.5 kilometres south of Braidwood, and 4 kilometres north-west of Lanark. Lee was the seat of the Lockharts of Lee from its establishment in the 13th century until 1919, though the present house is the result of rebuilding in the 19th century. The house is protected as a category B listed building, and the grounds are included in the Inventory of

Craignethan Castle

Craignethan Castle

14.8km from Douglas Castle

A ruined castle in South Lanarkshire, which dates back to around 1530, and functioned as a residential tower, protected by an artillery fortification. The oldest part is the tower house built by Sir James Hamilton of Finnart. The castle’s defences include a caponier, a stone vaulted artillery chamber, which is rare in Britain. Craignethan is recognised as an excellent early example of a sophisticated artillery fortification, although its defences were never fully tested

Crawford Castle

Crawford Castle

15.27km from Douglas Castle

Crawford Castle, substantially in ruins, is located on the north bank of the River Clyde, around half a mile north of Crawford, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The ruins stand on an earlier motte and bailey earthwork. The castle was formerly known as Lindsay Tower, after its former owners, the Lindsay family. The strategic location of the castle, at NS954213, guards the strategically important Mennock Pass from England into the upper Clyde Valley.

Nethan Gorge

Nethan Gorge

15.32km from Douglas Castle

Nethan Gorge is a natural gorge carved by the River Nethan, in South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The Lower Nethan Gorge reserve, near Lanark, is one of the best examples of semi-natural woodland still surviving in the Clyde Valley. Ash and elm woodlands grow on its steep slopes and the Upper Nethan Gorge reserve, near Blackwood and Lesmahagow, is part of the Clyde and Avon Valley Landscape Partnership and the Clyde Valley Woodlands National Nature Reserve.

Museum of Lead Mining

Museum of Lead Mining

19.1km from Douglas Castle

Museum of Lead Mining, Wanlockhead Village is unique in Scotland, having the only real mine which is open to the public. Join the Museum's friendly and knowledgeable guides to discover treasures including the genuine 18th century lead mine where you can experience the thrill of going underground. Make your way along the village paths to the our miners cottages set out in 1750, 1850 and 1910 period and see how the miners really lived.

Mauldslie Woods

Mauldslie Woods

19.21km from Douglas Castle

Mauldslie Woods is an area of woodland close to the town of Carluke, South Lanarkshire. It is one of six woodlands which form the Clyde Valley Woodlands National Nature Reserve, the others being Cartland Craigs, Chatelherault, Cleghorn Glen, Falls of Clyde and Lower Nethan Gorges. It stands on the estate of Mauldslie Castle. Its most notable resident was John Wightman of Mauldslie, Lord Provost of Edinburgh.

Strathaven Park

Strathaven Park

19.33km from Douglas Castle

Strathaven Park is a beautiful place to visit and a beautifully peaceful greenspace in the busy market town, offering both locals and visitors from farther afield a “Great Day Out. Facilities include a boating pond, two bowling greens, children's play areas, putting green, outdoor tennis courts, seasonal cafe and a fantastic miniature railway.

Garrion Bridges

Garrion Bridges

19.96km from Douglas Castle

Garrion Bridge is a small hamlet spanning the border between North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It is located on the banks of the Clyde Valley, 18 miles south-east of Glasgow. The hamlet is most commonly associated with the nearby town of Wishaw. The area spans both sides of the river, with some of the houses actually located in South Lanarkshire. There are more than a dozen houses located around the bridge. There is an independent garden and antique centre, operating in the prem

Boghall Castle

Boghall Castle

20.43km from Douglas Castle

Boghall Castle was a 14th century castle to the south of Biggar, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. Boghall became ruinous in the 19th century. The courtyard castle was built in the 14th century by the Fleming family, to replace the motte and bailey castle at Biggar. The castle was strategically sited where the valleys of the River Tweed and the River Clyde meet.

Biggar Gasworks Museum

Biggar Gasworks Museum

20.46km from Douglas Castle

One of the first gasworks in Scotland and one of the last to close. Biggar Gasworks operated from 1839-1973 and has been preserved exactly as it was when it closed its doors for the last time. Come on a Steam Day and see the historic equipment at work.

Green Lowther

Green Lowther

20.58km from Douglas Castle

Green Lowther is a hill in the Lowther Hills range, part of the Southern Uplands of Scotland. It is the highest point of the Lowther Hills and lies in Lanarkshire, east of the town of Sanquhar. A microwave array once stood at the summit, however a telecommunications mast remains next to a transmitter station. The private service road which makes its way up neighbouring Lowther Hill, continuing over Green Trough to the summit is the second highest paved road in Britain after Great Dun Fell in the

Lowther Hill

Lowther Hill

21.06km from Douglas Castle

Lowther Hill is a high mountain peak at an elevation of 728m above the sea level, located on the border between Lanarkshire and Dumfries and Galloway, in Scotland. It's one of the highest roads of the country. It’s a deserted area without any motorized traffic. This road is popular with hillwalkers and cyclists, using it as a means of easy access to the top of the hill or for recreation.

Map of attractions near Douglas Castle

Hotels near Douglas Castle

Hotels to stay near Douglas Castle

Stars:

Guest rating:

Excellent

Stars:

Guest rating:

Very Good

Stars:

Guest rating:

Excellent

Know more about Douglas Castle

Douglas Castle

Douglas Castle

Ayr Rd, Douglas, Lanark ML11 0RH, UK

Douglas Castle was a stronghold of the Douglas family from medieval times to the 20th century. The first castle, erected in the 13th century, was destroyed and replaced several times until the 18th century when a large mansion house was built in its place. This too was demolished in 1938, and today only a single corner tower of the 17th-century castle remains. The castle was the former family seat of the Prime Minister, Sir Alec Douglas-Home.