Craignethan Castle - Things to Know Before Visiting
Blackwood, Lesmahagow, Lanark ML11 9PL, UK
Contents in This Page
About Craignethan Castle
A ruined castle in South Lanarkshire, which dates back to around 1530, and functioned as a residential tower, protected by an artillery fortification. The oldest part is the tower house built by Sir James Hamilton of Finnart. The castle’s defences include a caponier, a stone vaulted artillery chamber, which is rare in Britain. Craignethan is recognised as an excellent early example of a sophisticated artillery fortification, although its defences were never fully tested
Attractions Near Craignethan Castle
Nethan Gorge is a natural gorge carved by the River Nethan, in South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The Lower Nethan Gorge reserve, near Lanark, is one of the best examples of semi-natural woodland still surviving in the Clyde Valley. Ash and elm woodlands grow on its steep slopes and the Upper Nethan Gorge reserve, near Blackwood and Lesmahagow, is part of the Clyde and Avon Valley Landscape Partnership and the Clyde Valley Woodlands National Nature Reserve.
Lee Castle, also known as The Lee, is a castellated mansion in Auchenglen, a branch of the Clyde Valley in South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It is located 1.5 kilometres south of Braidwood, and 4 kilometres north-west of Lanark. Lee was the seat of the Lockharts of Lee from its establishment in the 13th century until 1919, though the present house is the result of rebuilding in the 19th century. The house is protected as a category B listed building, and the grounds are included in the Inventory of
Mauldslie Woods is an area of woodland close to the town of Carluke, South Lanarkshire. It is one of six woodlands which form the Clyde Valley Woodlands National Nature Reserve, the others being Cartland Craigs, Chatelherault, Cleghorn Glen, Falls of Clyde and Lower Nethan Gorges. It stands on the estate of Mauldslie Castle. Its most notable resident was John Wightman of Mauldslie, Lord Provost of Edinburgh.
Garrion Bridge is a small hamlet spanning the border between North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It is located on the banks of the Clyde Valley, 18 miles south-east of Glasgow. The hamlet is most commonly associated with the nearby town of Wishaw. The area spans both sides of the river, with some of the houses actually located in South Lanarkshire. There are more than a dozen houses located around the bridge. There is an independent garden and antique centre, operating in the prem
Cartland Bridge is one of the many intact similarly designed canal bridges built to span the Grand Canal by the Grand Canal Company. This section of the canal was opened in 1797. The voussoirs and string course contrast with the random rubble walls of the bridge providing textural variation. The carved name and date plaques are notable features on the bridge. It is notable for being the highest bridge over inland water in Scotland.It is a category B listed building.
Cartland Craigs is one of the most dramatic of the Clyde Valley's wooded gorges. The best starting point is the small car park by Cartland Bridge. This walk can be combined with Cleghorn Glen to give a fantastic full day's walking. It is a national nature reserve and is one of six areas which together form the Clyde Valley Woodlands.
Where is Craignethan Castle
Discover More Attractions in South Lanarkshire, Where Craignethan Castle Is Located
South Lanarkshire is one of 32 unitary authorities of Scotland. It borders the south-east of the City of Glasgow and contains some of Greater Glasgow's suburbs, also containing many towns and villages. It was flourished with so many tourist attractions and also you can spend some good time there.