Douglas Castle - Things to Know Before Visiting
Ayr Rd, Douglas, Lanark ML11 0RH, UK
Contents in This Page
About Douglas Castle
Douglas Castle was a stronghold of the Douglas family from medieval times to the 20th century. The first castle, erected in the 13th century, was destroyed and replaced several times until the 18th century when a large mansion house was built in its place. This too was demolished in 1938, and today only a single corner tower of the 17th-century castle remains. The castle was the former family seat of the Prime Minister, Sir Alec Douglas-Home.
Attractions Near Douglas Castle
Corra Castle is a ruined 16th-century castle within the Corehouse Estate near New Lanark, Scotland. It overlooks Corra Linn, one of the four waterfalls which make up the Falls of Clyde. In 1967 it became a scheduled monument. The site was chosen because it was seen as being impregnable, as it is surrounded by sharp cliffs on three sides. It features a ha-ha as part of its design, offering an unobstructed view of the surrounding countryside.
Tinto is an isolated hill in the Southern Uplands of Scotland. It comprises little more than one top, which stands on the west bank of the River Clyde, some 8 kilometres west of Biggar. The peak is also called "Tinto Tap", with the name Tinto possibly deriving from the Scottish Gaelic word teinnteach, meaning "fiery", which may refer to its ancient past as a look out beacon. Further known as the "Hill of Fire" it is also suggested exposed red hue felsite rock visible in many places on the hill h
Castlebank Park in Lanark is one of Scotland’s 71 Green Flag Parks. Free to visit, the park is open to the public all year and is very popular with families, dog walkers and nature enthusiasts. The park features beautiful garden areas, a Wildflower & Tree Trail, picnic benches, children’s play area and Horticulture Centre. The park is situated near the former site of Lanark Castle where the Sheriff of Lanark was slain by William Wallace in revenge for the murder of Marion Braidfute in 1297.
Lanark Loch is a man-made loch in the town of Lanark, South Lanarkshire, situated 2 kilometres south east of Lanark town centre. Covering an area of 4.9 hectares , it was built in the 19th century by the architect Hugh Marr at a place where there was a small pond which had previously been used by a local curling club. There is a small wooded island in the loch.
Carmichael Estate is Scotland’s oldest farming family business at the source of the Carmichael name. Located in the Scottish Borders between Lanark & Biggar. The Estate has 13 quality assured self-catering holiday cottages which are dotted around the beautiful and historic Estate. Their farm butchery produces award winning ‘single malt’ meats including venison, beef and lamb. Our meats are available in our farm shop as well as in the tearoom/bistro and at farmers’ markets.
Cartland Bridge is one of the many intact similarly designed canal bridges built to span the Grand Canal by the Grand Canal Company. This section of the canal was opened in 1797. The voussoirs and string course contrast with the random rubble walls of the bridge providing textural variation. The carved name and date plaques are notable features on the bridge. It is notable for being the highest bridge over inland water in Scotland.It is a category B listed building.
Where is Douglas Castle
Discover More Attractions in South Lanarkshire, Where Douglas Castle Is Located
South Lanarkshire is one of 32 unitary authorities of Scotland. It borders the south-east of the City of Glasgow and contains some of Greater Glasgow's suburbs, also containing many towns and villages. It was flourished with so many tourist attractions and also you can spend some good time there.