19 Monuments to explore in Gujarat
The Gujarati-speaking people of India are indigenous to the state. The economy of Gujarat is the fifth-largest state economy in India with ₹13.14 lakh crore (US$190 billion) in GDP and a per capita GDP of ₹174,000 (US$2,500).
Aaina Mahal Palace is an 18th-century palace that is located next to the Prag Mahal in Darbargadh, Bhuj, Gujarat, India. The palace was built by Rao Lakhpatji of Cutch State around 1750. Lakhpatji's master craftsman Ram Singh Malam designed the palace in the local style and decorated it in the European style with glass, mirrors, and tiles.
This is a census town in the Banaskantha district. It is known for its historical and mythological connections with sites of cultural heritage. Ambaji is an important temple town with millions of devotees visiting the Ambaji temple every year. It is one of the 51 Shakti peethas.
On the way to Girnar Hill, one will see a huge white colour building that houses fourteen edicts of Emperor Ashoka. The edicts are dating back to 250 BC and were re-discovered by James Todd. Edicts exhibited in the building are carved out of large granite stones with inscriptions written on it in ancient languages like Pali and Brahmi. Inscriptions on the stones tell about the philosophy of Ashok-respect for all religions, developing a positive attitude.
Baba pyare caves are an example of ancient man-made caverns. The caves are a part of the Junagadh Buddhist Cave Groups situated in the eastern part of Junagadh of the Indian state of Gujarat. Bava Pyara caves contains artworks of both Buddhism and Jainism.
Buddhist Caves of Khapra Kodiya are part of the Junagadh Buddhist Cave Group. They are the oldest of the caves in the group. The caves, on the basis of scribbles and short cursive letters on the wall, are dated to 3rd-4th century BCE during the Emperor Ashoka’s rule and are the plainest of all the caves in the groups
Dandi Beach is one of the prominent beaches located in Dandi village, Gujarat and also one of the cleanest beaches in India. Dandi Beach is historically prominent as Mahatma Gandhi led the salt satyagraha from Sabarmati Ashram (Ahmedabad) to Dandi. This is the beach where Mahatma Gandhi broke the salt tax law of the British after the Salt March. There are monuments placed in the seashore as a remembrance of the Dandi march.
This Gandhi museum is an attraction documenting and exhibiting the life and work of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. a significant heritage spot is frequently recommended for tourists visiting the region as it provides one with a background of Indian culture, mentality, and history. One may explore the museum consisting of 39 galleries in order to obtain enriching and interesting information about Gandhi and his ideologies.
Kaleshwari group of monuments is a group of momuments located at the Mahisagar district. The group includes intricately-carved temple ruins, two stepwells, a reservoir, structures with panels of erotic sculptures and idols scattered all over the site. The ruins are located at the foothills and on the hillock. They were built between the 10th and 16th century; some monuments were reconstructed after the 18th century. These are State Protected Monuments.
The caves are situated at the foot of small hillocks on the banks of a spring. They are carved out of limestone rocks. There are three caves, the central one contains the stupa which is known as chaitya cave. There are two sculptures of Bodhisattva on the either sides of the gate of the chaitya cave. These caves are maintained by the Archaeology Department of Gujarat state.
This is the oldest museum in Gujarat. Kutch museum was initially formed as a part of the School of Arts established by Khengarji III, the Maharao of Cutch State. It was founded on 1 July 1877. The museum has the largest existing collection of Kshatrapa inscriptions, dating to the 1st century AD. The oldest Kshatrap six inscription-stones found in Andhau village in Khavda are moved here.
Built by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III in the memory of his wife, Nyaya Mandir in Vadodara is a spectacular monument designed by the Robert Chisholm. Nyaya Mandir comprises a central hall with mosaic tiles and a statue of Chimnabai, wife of Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III of the Gaekwad dynasty of the Marathas. This ancient building is now a district session court.
Also known as Vijaynagar forest is a dry mixed deciduous forest near Abhapur village in Sabarkantha district. There are more than 450 species of medicinal plants, around 275 of birds, 30 of mammals, and 32 of reptiles. There are bears, leopards, hyenas, waterfowl, raptors, passerines, and flying squirrels. During winter, The forest attracts migratory birds during winter and wetland birds during monsoon. The forest has ruins of several 15th-century Hindu and Jain temples such as Sharneshwar Shiva
Roda Temples include the 8th-9th century dated seven Hindu temples built during Gurjara-Pratihara or Rashtrakuta period. It also includes a reservoir and a stepwell. They are located between Raisingpura and Khed Chandarani villages, 18 km from Himmatnagar in Sabarkantha district of Gujarat, India. It is located on the bank of the seasonal stream which merges the Hathmati river downstream.
The king's residence right up to 1991 when the last king of Kutch, Madansingh died, the palace is now a museum. With beautiful gardens of many flowering and medicinal plants, the palace grounds houses many migrating birds as they stop for a rest on their way.
Built-in 1498 in the memory of Rana Veer Singh, by his wife Queen Rudadevi. Step wells like the one in Adalaj were once integral to the semi-arid regions of Gujarat, as they provided water for drinking, washing, and bathing. These wells were also venues for colorful festivals and sacred rituals.
The Jami Masjid which is located in Champaner is part of the Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and is among the 114 monuments there which are listed by the Baroda Heritage Trust. The mosque dates to 1513; construction was carried out over 25 years. It is one of the most notable monuments built by Sultan Mahmud Begada.
This 20th-century summer palace was commissioned by Maharao Shri Khengarji III for his son Yuvraj Shri Vijayaraji, Made of red sandstones, the palace features every element of Rajput architecture and bears a striking resemblance to palaces of Orchha and Datia. Artisans from various parts of India, such as Rajasthan, Bengal and Saurashtra along with the Mistris and Suthars of Kutch were called upon for making of the palace.
Considered to be one of the best among the seven such museums located across Saurashtra and managed by the Gujarat state government, it has collections of precious objects from the princely State of Rajkot founded by the Jadeja Rajputs. It holds invaluable articles, artifacts, photographs, a reference library, and the museum's publication are sold through a counter.