11 Sculptures to explore in Germany
Country with the largest population in Europe. Stretches from the North and the Baltic Sea in the north to the Alps in the south. It is traversed by some of Europe's major rivers such as the Rhine, Danube and Elbe.
The Bremen Roland is a statue of Roland, erected in 1404. It stands in the market square of Bremen, Germany, facing the cathedral, and shows Roland, paladin of the first Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne and hero of the Battle of Roncevaux Pass. Roland is shown as protector of the city: his legendary sword is unsheathed, and his shield is emblazoned with the two-headed Imperial eagle.
Formed during the Permian period from volcanic activities, Donnersberg is the highest peak of Palantine region in Germany. Covering an area of over 2,000 hecatares, the peak has a diameter of 7 kilometers. The mountain and the surronding area is an importance place for old settlements, of which only ruins remains today. The 4,700 km Eurpean Walking Route E8 passes through the mountain.
The swineherd and his herd is a bronze group of figures in Bremen - in the middle at the end of Sögestraße near the streets Am Wall and Herdentorsteinweg. It was set up in 1974 and is included in the list of monuments and statues of the city of Bremen. Today, children and young people like to ride the bronze pigs. It also became a habit to meet “with the pigs”.
The Magdeburg rider is an equestrian statue that was made around 1240 in the younger Magdeburg workshop. It is an early life-size round three-dimensional equestrian statue of medieval sculpture and is one of the first-rate works of European art history. Two virgins complete it to form a group of figures. The three statues consist of several blocks of fine-grain sandstone.
A memorial for the victims of war and dictatorship. The sculpture in the memorial is an enlarged version of Käthe Kollwitz's "Mother with her Dead Son". The sculpture is directly placed under the oculus, and so is exposed to the rain, snow, and cold of the Berlin climate, symbolizing the suffering of civilians during World War II.
It connects the Old City with the eastern part of the Neuenheim district of the city on the opposite bank. The current bridge, made of Neckar sandstone and the ninth built on the site, was constructed in 1788 by Elector Charles Theodore and is one of the best-known landmarks in Heidelberg.