18 Bridges to explore in Switzerland
Switzerland is one of the most developed countries in the world, with the highest nominal wealth per adult and the eighth-highest per capita GDP. It ranks at or near the top in several international metrics, including economic competitiveness and human development.
The Chapel Bridge is a covered wooden footbridge spanning the river Reuss diagonally in the city of Lucerne in central Switzerland. Named after the nearby St. Peter's Chapel, the bridge is unique in containing a number of interior paintings dating back to the 17th century, although many of them were destroyed along with a larger part of the centuries-old bridge in a 1993 fire. Subsequently restored, the Kapellbrücke is the oldest wooden covered bridge in Europe, as well as the world's oldest sur
At a length of 495 meters, this is quite simply the longest pedestrian footbridge in the world. It lies on the Europaweg, a 2-day hiking trail between Grächen and Zermatt. You can reach the bridge more easily from Randa in a hike of just 2 hours. It employs 8 tonnes of cables and has a system that prevents it from swinging. The bridge is part of Europaweg, a hiking path between the Swiss villages of Zermatt and Grächen.
The Dreirosenbrücke is a road bridge in the Swiss city of Basel and is the last Swiss Rhine bridge . The bridge got its name after the property "To the three roses" on the Kleinbasler bridgehead. The original estate at this point belonged to the Iselin family, whose family coat of arms shows three white roses.
Holzbrücke Bad Säckingen is a bridge over the Rhine. It connects the German city of Bad Säckingen with the village Stein in Switzerland. The covered bridge spans 203.7 metres over the Hochrhein and is the longest roofed wooden bridge of Europe. The bridge is listed as a national registered monument in Switzerland. The bridge was built in 1272 and was destroyed several times. The current bridge was completed in 1700. Originally a road bridge, the bridge is now only open for pedestrians since the
The Johanniterbrücke is the third oldest Rhine bridge in the Swiss city of Basel. The iron bridge was built within two years and opened on July 15, 1882. It was not as high as the upper Rhine crossing at the Harzgraben, the Wettstein Bridge, but it made a nice impression on the audience. From 1924 the Johanniterbrücke also carried a double-lane tram. It was one of the architectural wonders in this area and also this bridge makes transportation if this area is easy.
Kornhausbrücke Bridge crosses the Aare River and connects the historical center with the more modern section of the city. It was built from 1895 - 1898, and the engineers were Paul Simon and Theodore Bell. This bridge was named in honor of Kornhaus Bernese, the Duke of Kornhausplatz.
Nydeggbrücke is a bridge that connects the old part of town to the new and is considered a Swiss Heritage Site crossing over the Aare River. The Nydeggbrücke is in total 190 meters long and took three years to build. It is a Swiss heritage site of national significance.
The Berne Bridge is a covered wooden bridge over the Sarine, located in the canton of Friborg, Switzerland.Built-in 1250, a century after the founding of the city, it is one of the oldest in Switzerland. Over the centuries, it has been regularly renovated, remaining today the last covered wooden bridge in Friborg. This bridge has been part of the 1995 inventory of the cultural property of national importance in the canton of Friborg.
The Zaehringen bridge was built in 1924, replacing the Grand suspension bridge, which stood in the same place since 1834. It has a span of 273 meters It was the pride and joy of the people of Fribourg, and visitors from around the world flocked to see it. The bridge has also been discribe in books and painted by many artists and writers.
The Middle Bridge, called in German Mittlere Brücke, is a road bridge over the Sarine, located in the canton of Friborg, Switzerland. It is one of the three bridges in the Lower Town of Friborg. It is preceded upstream by that of the Saint-Jean bridge and followed downstream by that of Bern. This bridge has been a cultural property of national importance 3 at least since the 1995 inventory.
The Pont du Mont-Blanc is a road bridge over the Rhône, located in the canton of Geneva, Switzerland. All along the bridge, fixed flag carriers are lined up on both sides. The bridge as it exists in 2007 is built on seven main steel girders for a total length of 252 meters. It is one of the architectural wonders in Switzerland.
Poya Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge in Fribourg, Switzerland. The bridge is 851.6 meters in overall length with a 196 m main span over the Sarine River, which is the longest main span in Switzerland. The bridge was built to remove traffic from the Zaehringen Bridge and adjacent neighborhoods and upon opening, on 12 October 2014, the Zaehringen Bridge was closed to most motor vehicles.
The Skywalk is one of Europe’s longest pedestrian suspension bridges, 58 meters above the Lauitobel Gorge. Hikers and walkers are drawn to Europe’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge. There are various circular trails starting from the other side of the gorge, including “der Pfad”, which leads across the Halsbann up to the summit and back down to Herrenboden.
The Rhine bridge Diessenhofen – Gailingen is a road bridge that spans the High Rhine between Diessenhofen and Gailingen and the border between Switzerland and Germany. It is the only completely preserved wooden bridge on the Upper Rhine and is one of the Pfahljoch bridges that are rare today .
The Titlis Cliff Walk is a pedestrian bridge along the cliff of Mount Titlis in the Swiss Alps. Built at around 3,000 metres above sea l(evel, it is believed to be the highest-elevation suspension bridge in Europe. It broke the record held by Salbit Bridge, also located in Switzerland. The bridge spans a distance of around 100 m (320 ft) but is just 1 m wide.
The Grandfey-Viaduct is on the railway line from Bern to Fribourg and is one of the largest bridges in Switzerland. The viaduct crosses the deep and wide Saane/Sarine valley, which is cut into Molasse rock, in the hamlet of Grandfey in Granges-Paccot, about three kilometres north of Fribourg station on the way to Düdingen. The viaduct crosses the language border between Romandy and German-speaking Switzerland.