Midlothian - 43 Attractions You Must Visit
Contents in This Page
Midlothian is a historic county, registration county, lieutenancy area and one of 32 council areas of Scotland used for local government. Midlothian lies in the east-central Lowlands, bordering the City of Edinburgh, East Lothian and the Scottish Borders.
Attractions in Midlothian
Leithen Lodge in Peeblesshire is a Grade A Listed Building offering country retreats, a corporate venue & self catering short breaks Scotland. It was one of the iocnic attraction for the tourists coming here.
This is a tributary of the River Tweed in Scotland,. It rises in the Moorfoot Hills and joins the Tweed near the town of Innerleithen. The river lends its name to the character Sir Edward Leithen in a number of novels by John Buchan. A nice picnic spot and also there are so many options for leisure avtivited here.
The majestic Loganlea Reservoir is located in the Pentland Hills region of Midlothian. The reservoir was constructed by the Edinburgh Water Company under the provisions of an Act of Parliament obtained in 1847, and was completed in 1851.This Scottish reservoir is a hub for fishing and is often frequented by anglers.
The Lothianbridge Viaduct carries the Borders Railway, which opened in 2015, over the River South Esk near Newtongrange, Midlothian, Scotland. It was built by the Marquess of Lothian to extend the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway from Dalhousie Mains to his coal pits at Arniston. The present viaduct was opened in 1849 by the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway to carry the Waverley Line, running between Edinburgh and Carlisle. The viaduct was designed by John Miller.
A beautiful tributary of the River Tweed which rises in the Pentland Hills of southern Scotland at Baddinsgill Reservoir. There is free fishing above Flemington Bridge, and below Flemington the river is part of the Peebles fishing authority. It runs through West Linton and Romannobridge, passes Flemington and Lyne Station and enters the Tweed west of Peebles
Mavisbank House is Category A listed by Historic Scotland. The house was partially destroyed and left in ruin by a fire in 1973. It was designed by the architect William Adam constructed between 1723 and 1727. Unfortuneately the house neglected and the interiors were ruined by fire in 1973 but it is still an interesting sight for visitors to see. Parking is available in Loanhead.
A majestic range of grass covered hills traversing the border between Midlothian and the Scottish Borders Council Area. The range is formed from three similar successions of wackes and siltstones known as the Portpatrick Formation, the Shinnel Formation and 'Gala Unit 2', the first two are sub-units of the Scaur Group, the last a sub-unit of the Gala Group. Parts of the Moorfoot Hills are designated a Special Area of Conservation.
Mount Maw is a summit in Scottish Borders, situated southwest of Carlops Hill, southwest of Carlops Hill. It has an elevation of 535 metres. A huge mountain which has a good trekking area and also it offers some nice views too.
A majestic 16th centiry castle, which was once a substantial L-shaped tower house built by Michael Borthwick of Glengelt. The tower occupied a roughly triangular position, which was naturally defended by deeply worn water-courses. The remaining structure is a scheduled monument, which, provides evidence and has the potential to provide further evidence for the study of the defensive architecture and domestic life of the minor gentry in mid-sixteenth-century Scotland.
Newhailes is one of the most impressive 17th century Palladian villas and beautiful estate in Scotland. It was home to the Dalrymple family for more than 300 years, and the Estate stretches out over 80-acres and has been in the care of the National Trust for Scotland since 1997.
A small and beautiful reservoir situated north of Carlops, close to North Esk Cottage. It has an elevation of 342 metres. The reservoir was built by a consortium of Penicuik mill owners in 1850 to help regulate the flow of water in the river to give a constant supply to the numerous paper mills which had sprung up in the valley. This reservoir receives several streams, including the Gutterford Burn and Henshaw Burn and is the source of the River North Esk.
A beautiful range of mountain to the south-west of Edinburgh, Scotland. The range is around 20 miles in length, and runs south west from Edinburgh towards Biggar and the upper Clydesdale. It rise to nearly 600m in height and provide some of the finest hillwalking in Scotland with wonderful views from the summits.
A beautiful loch located at an elevation of 344 metres situated southeast of Earlypier, close to Hillhead, in the heart of Scotland. It is now operated by Scottish Water for the supply of drinking-water. A private recreational fishery is managed by Portmore Fishing Syndicate.
A majestic wodden glen in the North Esk Valley, near the village of Roslin in Scotland. You can enjoy many walks using the path links to the Roslin Village, Castle and Chapel and Springfield Mill. The park is excellent for wildlife with otters, kingfishers and dippers around the river. Look out for buzzards, woodpeckers and badgers in the gorge woodland area.
A simple Celtic cross in tribute to the men of Roslin who fell in the two world wars. This memorial commemorates the residents of Roslin who were killed or missing in World War I and World War II. It was erected by the Roslin Heritage Society at the end of last century, marks the site of the Battle of Roslin.
A majestic hill in Midlothian, which has a height of 579 metres it is the highest of the Pentland Hills. The hill is composed of Devonian volcanic rock. A good trekking destination and also there are nice views waiting for you.
A beautiful reservoir located in the heart of City of Edinburgh Council area, Scotland, UK. It is situated to the south of Edinburgh at the base of the Pentland Hills, two miles south of Balerno. It was formed between 1843 and 1848 as a compensation reservoir for the Water of Leith by the Edinburgh Water Company. An iconic location for a picnic and also there are options for a small hke too.
Uttershill Castle was built around 1510 as a two storey bastle house on a hill to the south of Penicuik. The castle had two storeys, a vaulted basement, and a hall on the first storey, reached by a straight stair. The castle was built of freestone rubble, and was probably harled. The property belonged to the Prestons of Gorton and Craigmillar. In 1646 the Countess of Eglinton lived here.
More than hundred acres of woods and Victorian parkland including a 1876 Victorian mansion - part of which is open to the public. Facilities in the parkland include a miniature railway, 9-hole golf course, children's play area and four miles of walks. A good experience in the middle of nature and a great chance to explore the ancient beauty.