Top 80 attractions to explore in Emilia-Romagna
Emilia-Romagna is a top European tourism destination, welcoming more than 11.5 million visitors annually and generating 50 million overnight stays. Its unique attractions – historical, cultural, artistic, social, industrial and economic – provide visitors with an authentic, all-round experience of the Italian lifestyle.
The Aquarium of Cattolica Le Navi is the largest aquarium on the Adriatic coast and the second in Italy and is located in Cattolica. It was inaugurated in 2000 and over the years new animals have been added. It was built as part of the redevelopment and restoration of the building complex "Le Navi", a marine colony designed by the architect Clemente Busiri Vici in 1931 and inaugurated in 1934 with the name of Colonia Marina "XXVIII October ".
It was erected in Rimini, Italy. This is a triumphal arch built in honor of Rome’s first emperor, Augustus, by the Roman Senate. This triumphal arch was built in 27 B.C.E. This is the oldest standing arch in Rome. The arch has one barrel-vaulted entryway. It signaled the end of the via Flaminia, which connected the cities of Romagna to Rome, and spans the modern Corso d'Augusto, which led to the beginning of another road, the via Emilia, which ran northwest to Piacenza.
The Archiginnasio of Bologna is one of the most significant buildings in the city of Bologna: located in the heart of the historic center, it was the seat of the ancient University and is now the seat of the Archiginnasio Municipal Library. The building ceased its university function in 1803. Since 1838 it is the seat of the Municipal Library of Archiginnasio, the largest in Emilia-Romagna.
The Lake Suviana is an artificial lake located in the ' Bologna Apennines, formed following the construction of a dam high 91.5 meters, started in 1928, and completed in 1932. The basin is mainly fed by the eastern Limentra stream and is located entirely in the metropolitan city of Bologna. The two banks bathe the municipality of Camugnano to the east and the municipality of Castel di Casio to the west. The villages of Suviana, Badi, Bargi, and Stagno overlook the lake.
The Neonian Baptistery, also known as the Orthodox Baptistery, is located in Ravenna and dates back to the 5th century. It takes its name from the bishop Neone who made it continue construction after his predecessor Orso. The name of the Orthodox should instead be understood according to the meaning of the time, which meant the Christians of the "right" doctrine as opposed to the Arian heresy.
The baptistery of Parma is a Catholic place of worship for the baptismal rite, located in Piazza Duomo, next to the cathedral, in Parma, in the province and diocese of Parma; it is considered as the junction point between Romanesque and Gothic architecture. It was commissioned to Benedetto Antelami, who began its decoration in 1196. was commissioned to Benedetto Antelami, who began its decoration in 1196.
The Basilica di San Petronio is one of the largest churches in the world and Bologna’s Gothic masterpiece. Although construction began in the late 14th century, the building, which was to be larger than St. Peter's Basilica, is largely unfinished since the 17th century. It has been the seat of the relics of Bologna's patron saint only since 2000; until then they were preserved in the Santo Stefano church of Bologna.
San Vitale is a minor basilica, as well as a parish and titular church, located at Via Nazionale 194/B in the Rione Monti. It is one of eight structures in Ravenna inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The Roman Catholic Church has designated the building a "basilica", an honorific title bestowed on exceptional church buildings of historic and ecclesial importance.
The basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo is a basilica of Ravenna. Born as an Arian place of worship, in the 6th century, it was consecrated to San Martino di Tours. The current name of the basilica dates back to the 9th century, a period in which the relics of the proto-bishop Apollinare, due to frequent pirate raids on the Ravenna coast, for safety reasons, were transferred from the basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe to the intramural basilica of San Martino which was renamed, in fact, Sant'Ap
The Basilica of San Domenico is one of the richest churches in Bologna in art history and was erected by the Dominican Friars as a place to store the remains of San Domenico di Guzman, founder of the order and who arrived in Bologna around 1200. Inside there are priceless works of art by authors such as Guercino, Filippino Lippi, and Ludovico Carracci. The church's small museum houses many important works of art and a wide collection of precious reliquaries, chalices, and monstrances.
Santo Stefano is the most unique complex in Bologna, as it is a true city sanctuary and the cradle of our ancestor’s faith. This extraordinary religious site consists of four medieval churches, originally there were seven churches, and therefore it is known by the name of Sette Chiese. Besides churches, this peaceful complex contains of cloisters, tombs, and courtyards, a great place to browse religious art and artifacts too.
The Arian baptistery is located in Ravenna and was built at the time of the Ostrogothic king Theodoric, starting from the end of the fifth century, finished shortly after, in the first half of the sixth century. It was the baptistery of the ancient Arian cathedral, today called the Church of the Holy Spirit. The baptistery has been included, since 1996, in the list of Italian World Heritage Sites by UNESCO, within the serial site " Early Christian Monuments of Ravenna ". Since December 2014.
The Salaborsa Library was inaugurated in 2001 inside Palazzo d'Accursio, the historic seat of the Municipality of Bologna. It overlooks Piazza Nettuno and via Ugo Bassi. Visitors to the library are able to see an archaeological site through the crystal floor in the center of the library. The ancient ruins are also accessible from the basement floor, where there is information about them.
The Castel Sismondo di Rimini takes its name from its creator and builder, Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, at that time lord of Rimini and Fano. Today's remaining structure represents nothing more than the central core of the castle, which was originally defended by a further round of walls and a moat. It was built at the behest of Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta starting from 1437, in a period of great prosperity for the Malatesta lordship.
The castle of Grazzano Visconti is a fortress located in the homonymous hamlet of the Italian municipality of Vigolzone, in the province of Piacenza. It was built in 1395, perhaps on the remains of a pre-existing structure, by Giovanni Anguissola following his marriage to Beatrice Visconti, sister of the Duke of Milan Gian Galeazzo. The castle is surrounded by a park built between the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century at the behest of Giuseppe Visconti di Modrone which exte
The cathedral of San Giorgio Martire is the main place of Catholic worship in Ferrara , the mother church of the archdiocese of Ferrara-Comacchio. The cathedral is no longer a parish church but is the seat of all the most important celebrations of the diocese: ordinations, pontificals, solemn funerals. In spring there is also the Blessing of the Palios, or of the four painted fabrics that constitute the prize of the four races of the Palio of Ferrara.
The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, consecrated in 1106, is the most important Catholic place of worship in Parma, the mother church of the diocese of the same name. It stands in Piazza Duomo, next to the Baptistery and the Bishop's Palace. Externally it is in Romanesque style, with a gabled façade, also typical of the churches of other cities in the north of Italy. Internally the Romanesque structure has remained, even if most of the interiors are due to subsequent Renaissance interventions.
The monumental cemetery of the Certosa di Bologna is located just outside the circle of the city walls , near the Renato Dall'Ara stadium , at the foot of the Guardia hill where the sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca is located . The municipal cemetery was established in 1801 by reusing the pre-existing structures of the Certosa di San Girolamo di Casara , founded in the mid-fourteenth century, suppressed in 1797 by Napoleon , and of which the Church of San Girolamo is still in operation.
The Cisa pass is the pass that separates the Ligurian Apennines from the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines; it is located at an altitude of about 1041 m asl, between the provinces of Parma and Massa-Carrara and allows connections between the upper Taro valley and Lunigiana. The SS 62 Della Cisa passes through it, connecting Sarzana to Verona, while the A15 Parma - La Spezia motorway passes through the tunnel, which connects the Po Valley to the north with the Ligurian Riviera and Versilia to the south on
The Comacchio Valleys are a vast protected wetland area located in Emilia-Romagna, between the provinces of Ravenna and Ferrara, south of the Po Delta and north of the Romagna Riviera, constituting one of the largest wetlands in Italy. Formed by 4 valleys: Lido di Magnavacca, Fossa di Porto, Valle Campo, and Fattibello, they extend geographically from Comacchio to the riverReno.
Map of attractions in Emilia-Romagna