Top 51 attractions to explore in Calabria
Calabria attracts year-round tourism, offering both summer and winter activities, in addition to its cultural, historical, artistic heritage, it has an abundance of protected natural habitats and 'green' zones. The 485 miles of its coast make Calabria a tourist destination during the summer. The low industrial development and the lack of major cities in much of its territory have allowed the maintenance of indigenous marine life.
Amendolea is a small town, part of the municipality of Condofuri, located in the center of the Greek area of the Province of Reggio Calabria. It is inhabited by 13 families and rises about 5 kilometers from the sea, on the left bank of the Amendolea river , and dominated by the fortress on which the Ruffo Castle stands imposingly. Until 1811 it was an autonomous municipality.
The Ampollino Lake is an artificial lake located in Sila. The construction of the barrage began in 1916 and ended in 1927. King Vittorio Emanuele III took part in its inauguration. This lake has a particular characteristic, in fact, it bathes three different provinces: that of Cosenza, that of Crotone, and that of Catanzaro. It was the first artificial reservoir to be built in Sila.
The Angitola lake or lake dell'Angitola is an artificial lake in the province of Vibo Valentia, in the territory of the municipalities of Maierato and Monterosso Calabro. The lake occupies an area of about 1.96 km² and is located in the extreme south of the plain of Sant'Eufemia, about 3 km from the Gulf of Sant'Eufemia. Around the lake, there are olive groves and Mediterranean scrub. There is also a reforestation belt with Aleppo pine.
The Capo Rizzuto marine protected area is a marine protected area established in 1991 and managed by the province of Crotone which extends for almost 15,000 hectares and is the largest in Italy for breadth. The importance of this marine reserve can be found both in the fauna and flora of the sea and in the white beaches with crystal clear waters. The area is protected under the Barcelona Convention and a number of national acts. Most noticeable the Natural Marine Protected Area.
The Aspromonte National Park is a national park located within the metropolitan city of Reggio Calabria, taking its name from the Aspromonte Massif. The park's territory, crossed by several watercourses, is populated by important animal species like the wolf, the peregrine falcon, the eagle owl, and the goshawk. Most of the territory is dominated by forests of beech trees, silver firs, black pines, holm oaks, chestnut trees, and Mediterranean maquis. A couple of rare species live here: Bonelli'
The Mount Botte Donato is the highest peak of the ' plateau of Sila, located in Sila Grande, in the town of Manco Country, halfway between Lake Arvo and Lake Blindness. During the winter, with the presence of ski lifts and the four ski slopes that make up the Cavaliere di Lorica complex, the place becomes an attraction for tourists, coming from all over Italy, but also from Europe. From the top, in particular, you can see Etna and Aspromonte to the south and Pollino to the north.
The Busento is a Calabrian river that originates on Monte Serratore, in Domanico, is a tributary of the Crati. The river's fame is due to a historic event in 410, when Alaric, first king of the Goths, died during a siege of the town. According to the legend, his body was buried under the river bed, the stream being temporarily diverted from its course by complex hydraulic engineering while the grave was dug and restored again to its original bed after the funeral.
Capo Colonna is the promontory that determines the western limit of the Gulf of Taranto, where the temple dedicated to Hera Lacinia once stood. Until the sixteenth century, it was called "head of the columns" because many columns of the temple of Hera Lacinia remained in their place. In ancient times his name was Lacinion. Its importance lies in the quantity of historical elements that are linked to this tip of land stretching out over the Ionian.
Punta Capo Cozzo is a granite promontory that divides a long sandy beach from a rocky one that is not suitable for swimming in the municipality of Zambrone in the province of Vibo Valentia. Known as an important nautical reference point, together with that of Capo Vaticano in the municipality of Ricadi which are part of the coast called Costa degli Dei or Costa Bella. Capo Cozzo is also known as the lion's rock due to the particular resemblance of a lion-shaped rock.
Capo Vaticano is an extensive promontuous, seaside, and flat town in the hamlet of San Nicolò, in the municipality of Ricadi, located between Pizzo Calabro and Nicotera, along the " Costa degli Dei ", a well-known stretch of the southern Tyrrhenian coast with a tourist vocation. The Capo Vaticano area is full of accommodation facilities equipped with entertainment services.
The Norman castle of Santa Severina also called Carafa or of Roberto il Guiscardo, the Norman king who ordered its construction in the eleventh century is a castle in the town of Santa Severina. The structure covers approximately 10,000 m² and overlooks the wide valley of the Neto river and the hills of the Marquisate of Crotone, near Crotone. It is composed of a square keep and four cylindrical towers that are located on the sides of the castle; it is also flanked by four protruding bastions a
The Marmàrico waterfall is the highest waterfall in Calabria and the southern Apennines, 114 meters high, located in the territory of the municipality of Bivongi, in high course of the Stilaro river, in the Folea valley. Inserted from 6 September 2011 among the " Italian wonders " of the homonymous project, born on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the Unification of Italy, of a tourist-cultural nature national Youth Forum.
The Aragonese castle of Reggio Calabria is the main fortification of the city, located in the homonymous Piazza Castello between via Aschenez and via Possidonea. It is considered, together with the Riace Bronzes, one of the main historical symbols of the city of Reggio. Since 1956 it has housed the observatory of the National Institute of Geophysics.
The Charles V Castle is a fortress of the Middle Ages, set in the old part of Crotone. It is owned by the State, handed over to the Superintendence for Archaeological Heritage of Calabria. Built-in ' 840 to defend the city from the incursions of the Saracens, it was changed more substantially in 1541 by King Charles V.
The Ruffo di Scilla castle, sometimes also known as the Ruffo di Calabria Castle, is an ancient fortification located on the Scillèo promontory, jutting out over the Strait of Messina. The castle constitutes the genius loci of the town of Scilla, about 20 km north of Reggio Calabria, and certainly one of the most characteristic and typical elements of the landscape of the Strait and the Reggio district. The castle also houses one of the lighthouses of the Navy, the lighthouse of Scilla.
Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta (Italian: Basilica Patriarcale di Santa Maria Assunta is the principal church in the town of Aquileia, in the Province of Udine and the region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy. The original church dated back to the fourth century. The current basilica was built in the eleventh century and rebuilt again in the thirteenth century. It is located on Via Sacra, overlooking the Piazza del Capitolo, along with the bell tower and baptistery.
The Cattolica di Stilo is a small square Byzantine church with a central plan, built with brick masonry, whose roof is made up of five very characteristic domes; it is located at the foot of Mount Consolino in Stilo , in the province of Reggio Calabria and is one of the most important museums and Byzantine sites among those in Calabria.
The lake of blindness is an artificial lake located in the province of Cosenza. It is an artificial lake built for the production of electricity located in the province of Cosenza on the Sila Grande, a few kilometers from Camigliatello Silano and whose banks fall within the municipalities of Spezzano della Sila, Longobucco and Celico. The lake was created by damming a dam the river Mucone. The lake is located on the western border of Sila National Park.
The church of Santa Maria di Piedigrotta is a place used for Catholic worship located in the Piedigrotta area of the Chiaia district of Naples. It was, dedicated to the Nativity of Mary, was built starting from 1352 and finished in 1353, on the site of a previous church dedicated to the Annunciation to the Virgin Mary built in the 5th century, where an image was already venerated wood of the Virgin.
The Island of Cirella is the smaller of the two islands in the Calabria region in the European country of Italy. It is located on the northwest coast of the Tyrrhenian Sea of Calabria, in front of Cirella, a fraction of Diamante, in the Province of Cosenza. It has an area of 0.12 square kilometers and reaches a maximum height of 40 meters, the limestone cliffs of the island, subjected to the erosion of the sea, have created many caves and coves.
Map of attractions in Calabria