Capo Colonna - Things to Know Before Visiting
88900 Capo Colonna, Province of Crotone, Italy
Contents in This Page
About Capo Colonna
Capo Colonna is the promontory that determines the western limit of the Gulf of Taranto, where the temple dedicated to Hera Lacinia once stood. Until the sixteenth century, it was called "head of the columns" because many columns of the temple of Hera Lacinia remained in their place. In ancient times his name was Lacinion. Its importance lies in the quantity of historical elements that are linked to this tip of land stretching out over the Ionian.
Attractions Near Capo Colonna
The Capo Rizzuto marine protected area is a marine protected area established in 1991 and managed by the province of Crotone which extends for almost 15,000 hectares and is the largest in Italy for breadth. The importance of this marine reserve can be found both in the fauna and flora of the sea and in the white beaches with crystal clear waters. The area is protected under the Barcelona Convention and a number of national acts. Most noticeable the Natural Marine Protected Area.
The Charles V Castle is a fortress of the Middle Ages, set in the old part of Crotone. It is owned by the State, handed over to the Superintendence for Archaeological Heritage of Calabria. Built-in ' 840 to defend the city from the incursions of the Saracens, it was changed more substantially in 1541 by King Charles V.
The Norman castle of Santa Severina also called Carafa or of Roberto il Guiscardo, the Norman king who ordered its construction in the eleventh century is a castle in the town of Santa Severina. The structure covers approximately 10,000 m² and overlooks the wide valley of the Neto river and the hills of the Marquisate of Crotone, near Crotone. It is composed of a square keep and four cylindrical towers that are located on the sides of the castle; it is also flanked by four protruding bastions a
The Valli Cupe Regional Nature Reserve was established with the regional law of 21 December 2016. It is an important naturalistic area of Calabria, in particular in the Presila Catanzaro area, a step away from the Gariglione and with the city of Sersale at its center. The particularity of the area is linked to the presence of waterfalls, gorges, ancient trees, botanical rarities, and monoliths.
The Ampollino Lake is an artificial lake located in Sila. The construction of the barrage began in 1916 and ended in 1927. King Vittorio Emanuele III took part in its inauguration. This lake has a particular characteristic, in fact, it bathes three different provinces: that of Cosenza, that of Crotone, and that of Catanzaro. It was the first artificial reservoir to be built in Sila.
The church of Santa Maria di Piedigrotta is a place used for Catholic worship located in the Piedigrotta area of the Chiaia district of Naples. It was, dedicated to the Nativity of Mary, was built starting from 1352 and finished in 1353, on the site of a previous church dedicated to the Annunciation to the Virgin Mary built in the 5th century, where an image was already venerated wood of the Virgin.
Where is Capo Colonna
Discover More Attractions in Calabria, Where Capo Colonna Is Located
Calabria attracts year-round tourism, offering both summer and winter activities, in addition to its cultural, historical, artistic heritage, it has an abundance of protected natural habitats and 'green' zones. The 485 miles of its coast make Calabria a tourist destination during the summer. The low industrial development and the lack of major cities in much of its territory have allowed the maintenance of indigenous marine life.