Top 21 attractions to explore in Saarland
Saarland is a southwestern German state in the border of France and Luxembourg, with an area of 2,570 km2 representing 0.72% of the German landmass and a total population of 990,509. It is named after the Saar River. Saarbrücken is the state's capital, the largest and most populated city in the state. Due to the Saarland location near France, a large part of the population can speak French.
It is also called Saarbrücken Basilica, a catholic basilica located in St. John's market in Saarbrücken, Germany. Its temple was administered at the time of the Reformation by a noble Protestant. It was built on the chapel's site of the same name by the architect Friedrich Joachim Stengel between 1754 and 1758 and got redesigned to the original baroque between 1972 and 1975.
A Benedictine monastery dedicated to Saint Maurice. It was built between 5th-6th centuries. In 1794 during the French Revolution the abbey was plundered, burnt down, and dissolved. In 1798 the remaining buildings were auctioned off. The present abbey was established by the Benedictines in 1949 and settled in 1950 by monks from St. Matthias' Abbey, Trier.
It also called Burgruine Dagstuhl or Burg Dagstuhl. It is a ruined castle on the top of a hill near Wadern town in Saarland, Germany. Knight Boemund of Saarbrücken found the castle sometime before 1290. It overlooks the newer Schloss Dagstuhl (now a computer science research center) in the valley below.
It is also called Homburg Castle or Fortress Hohenburg, a ruined castle built around the beginning of the 13th century located in the Saarpfalz district in Saarland, Germany. It stands atop the 325 meters high Schlossberg above the Schlossberg Caves.
This 50-hectare park provides wide choices for visitors to relax and enjoy. It has a beautiful lake, and it offers an ideal opportunity for a great walk. There is also a wide selection of cafés and restaurants in the area, offering everything from snacks, coffee, and cake to small meals and three-course dinners.
The Holy Cross Chapel, also known as the Gnadenkapelle is a pilgrimage place that belongs to the Blieskastel Monastery and built in 1929. Around 80,000 pilgrims visit the Chapel annually. The chapel was built as a place of veneration for a relic of the True Cross.
The former town hall of St. Johann, and today's town hall of Saarbrücken was built in an area northwest of the historic city center that developed between 1897 and 1900. It provides the venue for more than 1,000 marriages a year in a festive atmosphere.
It is a reconstructed Roman villa rustica near Borg and Oberleuken villages in Perl's municipality in Saarland, Germany. Roman Villa Borg was discovered at the end of the 1800s and excavated in the late 1980s. The reconstruction of the site was began in the middle of the 1990s, and completed in late 2008.
One of the largest sacred buildings in the state of Saarland. It is the parish church of St Sacrament, and it belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Trier. It was built between 1910 and 1913 in the Neo-Romanesque style. As early as the First World War in 1917, four out of five bronze bells were melted down for armament purposes. Seven years later, in 1924, four cast steel bells were replaced, which still can be heard today.
A red sandstone cave in Schlossberg in Homburg, the largest red sandstone caves in Europe. It is comprising twelve floors and extending across an area of 140 meters long and 60 meters wide. The temperature in the caves stays around 10-degree Celsius around the year.
It was built on a spur over Nohfelden village in Saarland and was first mentioned in 1285. In 1490, after the death of Duke Louis the Black, his sons Kaspar and Alexander ruled the duchy jointly for a year. Then, Alexander, had his older brother locked up in the castle, claiming that Kaspar was mad. Kaspar remained locked up in Veldenz castle until his death in 1527, even after Alexander's death. The castle was frequently damaged in the many wars of the 17th century but was always repaired.
This industrial landmark is located in Völklingen, Saarland, and was declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage site in 1994. It was planned as a steelworks and built between 1873 and 1881 by Julius Buch and closed in 1986. It is one of the anchor points in the European Route of Industrial Heritage.
Map of attractions in Saarland