Benedictine Abbey Tholey e. V.
Im Kloster 11, 66636 Tholey, Germany
About Benedictine Abbey Tholey e. V.
A Benedictine monastery dedicated to Saint Maurice. It was built between 5th-6th centuries. In 1794 during the French Revolution the abbey was plundered, burnt down, and dissolved. In 1798 the remaining buildings were auctioned off. The present abbey was established by the Benedictines in 1949 and settled in 1950 by monks from St. Matthias' Abbey, Trier.
Attractions near Benedictine Abbey Tholey e. V.
It is a water reservoir in the municipality of Nohfelden in the northern Saarland state. It was constructed in 1979, and its dam has a length of 500 meters. The lake is almost exclusively used for entertainment activities.
It also called Burgruine Dagstuhl or Burg Dagstuhl. It is a ruined castle on the top of a hill near Wadern town in Saarland, Germany. Knight Boemund of Saarbrücken found the castle sometime before 1290. It overlooks the newer Schloss Dagstuhl (now a computer science research center) in the valley below.
It was built on a spur over Nohfelden village in Saarland and was first mentioned in 1285. In 1490, after the death of Duke Louis the Black, his sons Kaspar and Alexander ruled the duchy jointly for a year. Then, Alexander, had his older brother locked up in the castle, claiming that Kaspar was mad. Kaspar remained locked up in Veldenz castle until his death in 1527, even after Alexander's death. The castle was frequently damaged in the many wars of the 17th century but was always repaired.
The Celtic hill fort of Otzenhausen was one of the largest fortifications the Celts ever constructed. It is located about 695 m above sea level. The only obvious remaining things as of now are two circular earth ramparts, covered with stones.
One of the largest sacred buildings in the state of Saarland. It is the parish church of St Sacrament, and it belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Trier. It was built between 1910 and 1913 in the Neo-Romanesque style. As early as the First World War in 1917, four out of five bronze bells were melted down for armament purposes. Seven years later, in 1924, four cast steel bells were replaced, which still can be heard today.
The former town hall of St. Johann, and today's town hall of Saarbrücken was built in an area northwest of the historic city center that developed between 1897 and 1900. It provides the venue for more than 1,000 marriages a year in a festive atmosphere.
Where is Benedictine Abbey Tholey e. V.
Discover more attractions in Saarland, where Benedictine Abbey Tholey e. V. is located
Saarland is a southwestern German state in the border of France and Luxembourg, with an area of 2,570 km2 representing 0.72% of the German landmass and a total population of 990,509. It is named after the Saar River. Saarbrücken is the state's capital, the largest and most populated city in the state. Due to the Saarland location near France, a large part of the population can speak French.