Top 34 attractions you must visit in Vestfold og Telemark
Contents in This Page
About Vestfold og Telemark
Vestfold of Telemark is a southernmost county in Eastern Norway, known for its vast forests, valleys, skiing, and rural churches.
Attractions in Vestfold og Telemark
Norsjø is a lake in the municipalities of Skien, Nome, and Sauherad in Vestfold og Telemark county, Norway. It is 55 km² in the area and 15 meters above sea level. Norsjø is part of the Telemark Canal. Most rivers in Telemark meet Norsjø on their way before ending up in the Skien river or Porsgrunn river. Norsjø is a source of drinking water for the Skien municipality.
At the Norwegian Industrial Workers Museum, you will get a close encounter with Norwegian industrial - and war history. It is perhaps best known for its presentation of Rjukan's war history. Vemork was the location of one of the most important acts of sabotage during the Second World War when Norwegian saboteurs prevented the Germans from developing nuclear weapons using the heavy water produced here.
Rjukan Falls is a waterfall of 104 metres in the western part of the West fjord valley in Tinn, a municipality in the county of Vestfold og Telemark, Norway, west of the industrial town Rjukan. The waterfall is a part of the Måne river, earlier a major tourist attraction, being one of the first floodlighted waterfalls by electricity produced by the same waterfall. In 1905 Rjukan Falls was built out to produce hydro electric power for the saltpetre production when Norsk Hydro was established.
The navy museum was founded in 1853 and has been in the old magazine on Karljohansvern since 1864. The "old department" is somewhat retained, but the museum has later grown to more than 2000 sqm, rich in information and close proximity to the many models and objects. Outside the museum, you can enter a submarine on land or an MTB on the sea.
A beautiful museum which was located in the Vestfold og telemark. This exhibition focuses on themes such as Norwegian discoveries and presence in the Antarctic, cultural meetings in the context of the whaling industry, family life and gender roles. The exhibition is largely based on the museum’s collections, as well as material on loan.
Seljord Lake is a lake in the municipality Seljord in Vestfold og Telemark, Norway. The main influx river is Vallaråi, and the lake drains through Bøelva. The lake covers an area of 16.7 km2. According to local folklore Selma, a sea serpent lives in the lake.
Skåtøy' is the largest island in Kragerø municipality in Telemark county, Norway. Skåtøy was formerly a municipality. Skåtøy was separated from Sannidal on January 1, 1882. It was merged with Kragerø on January 1, 1960. It is the biggest island in the skerries outside the town of Kragerø, Norway. The island is 8.8 km2 and is partially wooded. It has only a small year-round population.
Skien church was completed in 1894 after the great town fire. It's build in the Gothic Revival style and the interior of the church is characterized by beautiful stained glass windows and glazed stone. The church has one of the largest and best organs in Norway with 5200 pipes and 70 votes.
Slottsfjellet is Tønsberg's most striking landmark. The tower was completed in 1888 in connection with the city's 1000th anniversary. The tower is 17 meters high and has a fantastic view from the top. Inside the tower is the cross from St. Mary's Church, bricks found by the ruins, and an exhibition. Cato Enger's bronze model of old Tønsberg Castrum Tunsbergis stands outside the tower.
Telemark Museum is a consolidated museum that included a number of museums within the Telemark area. It was founded in 1909 from a base at the Søndre Brekke farm. The farm is surrounded by Brekkeparken, a 36-acre park. The main attraction, aside from seasonal exhibits in the main halls of the farmhouse, is the outdoor museum. Several older houses and farms from the former county of Telemark have been moved from their original location and rebuilt on-site in the park.
The Telemark Canal was hewn out of the rocks by hand well over 100 years ago, and when completed in 1892. Europeans described it as the "eighth wonder of the world". 500 men had worked for five years to dynamite their way through the rocks. The Canal consists of eight locks with a total of 18 lock chambers, and a difference in height of 72 metres.
Vråvatn is a lake in Kviteseid municipality in Telemark. It is part of the Arendal watercourse and has its main inflow into the Folsetelva from Skredvatn, while the outlet is via Roholdtåi, or "Straumen", to Nisser. In 1914, two locks were built in Straumen, Storstraum – Småstraumkanalen. This made it possible to travel the entire 50 km long stretch from Tveitsund south in Nisser to Vråliosen north in Vråvatn by boat.