110 Iconic Buildings to explore in Austria
Austria is consistently ranked in the top 20 richest countries in the world by GDP per capita terms. The country has achieved a high standard of living and in 2018 was ranked 20th in the world for its Human Development Index.
The Admont Abbey Library is an Austria-based monastic library located in Admont, a small town next to the Enns River in Austria, and is attached to the Admont Abbey.This Library is the largest monastic library in the world, and is noted for its Baroque art, architecture and manuscripts.
Aggstein Castle is a ruined castle on the right bank of the Danube in Wachau, Austria. The castle dates to the 12th century. Aggstein Castle is 480 metres above sea level. It is some 150 metres long and has a rock structure at both ends. The ruins are located within the municipality of Schönbühel-Aggsbach in the Melk District of Lower Austria.
The Altes Rathaus was the first town hall in the German city of Hanover. First built in the old city district in 1410 and extensively restored in 1953 and 1964 after heavy bomb damage in World War II, it is the oldest secular building in the city. In 1874, the city administration moved out of the building. However, ceremonial events such as the conferring of honorary citizenship still take place in the banqueting hall.
One of the main attractions in Innsbruck, the capital of the Alps. This Renaissance castle and palace located in the hills above Innsbruck, Austria was was built in the 16th century on the spot of an earlier 10th-century castle, which became the seat of power for the Counts of Andechs.
Ars Electronica Linz GmbH is an Austrian cultural, educational and scientific institute active in the field of new media art, founded in Linz in 1979. It is based at the Ars Electronica Center, which houses the Museum of the Future, in the city of Linz. Ars Electronica's activities focus on the interlinkages between art, technology and society. It runs an annual festival, and manages a multidisciplinary media arts R&D facility known as the Futurelab.
Austrian National Library, is one of the most beautiful library halls in the world. It is the biggest Baroque library in Europe. The library was built by Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach according to plans of his father, Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. The library complex includes four museums, as well as multiple special collections and archives.
The Austrian Parliament Building in Vienna is where the two houses of the Austrian Parliament conduct their sessions. The building is located on the Ringstraße boulevard in the first district Innere Stadt, near Hofburg Palace and the Palace of Justice.They offers guided tours that offer a lively insight into the daily life of the law makers and politicians. Visitors are also allowed to watch debates held at the Federal and National Councils
The 21er Haus is a modernist style steel and glass building designed by Austrian architect Karl Schwanzer. Originally constructed as the Austrian pavilion or temporary showroom for the Expo 58 in Brussels, it was later transferred to Vienna to house the Museum of the 20th Century, which explains why it was first nicknamed "20er Haus". Between 1979 and 2001, the building also acted as a depository for contemporary art works.
The Belvedere in Vienna is one of the leading museums worldwide. Its famous art collection includes works ranging from the Middle Ages to the present day. This historic building complex consisting of two Baroque palaces, the Orangery, and the Palace Stables. The Baroque palace complex was built as a summer residence for Prince Eugene of Savoy.
The Villa Berchtold is in close proximity to the grammar schools in Nonntal , the ARGEkultur Salzburg , the UNION Sportzentrum Salzburg Mitte and the new building of the Faculty of Culture and Social Sciences of the University of Salzburg . The park surrounding the villa allows exhibitions of larger objects or the extension of exhibitions to this outdoor area. Salzburg's first public sculpture park for contemporary works, the ARTSPACE, was created here in 2012.
Burg Clam was built in 1149 by Otto von Machland who owned all of Upper Austria. At that time it was a fortress consisting of two towers over 30 meters high. These two impressive buildings, one round and one rectangular, still exist in the very same shape today. It is still the residence of Count Clam and can also be visited as such. The visitors get an impression of what life was like in a castle.
Güssing Castle was built in 1157 on the steep rock of an extinct volcanic cone. After several changes of ownership, the castle came into the possession of the Batthyány family in 1524. In the 16th and 17th centuries it was expanded into a fortress and was intended to serve as a bulwark - especially against the armies from the east. With the loss of its strategic importance, the castle was abandoned to decay in the 18th century.
Hardegg Castle is a hilltop castle in the town of Hardegg in the Thaya Valley in Lower Austria. This Castle is one of the mighties and best mantained in Lower-Austria. Its Museum about Emperor Maximilian of Mexico, the outdoor kitchen, the cosy furnished winter kitchen, the romanic as well as romantic chapel and the mighty eastern Tower are real musts.
A majestic castle built to protect the salt mines, river trade, the bridge over the River Inn and also to guard the old salt route. During the 15th century the castle was enlarged to become a residence for princes. It now houses a museum called mint museum and open to the general public. Demonstrations of historical minting techniques are given from time to time.The castle itself is an example of early Gothic era Tirolean fortress architecture.
Burg Rappottenstein is a castle in Rappottenstein, Lower Austria, Austria. The castle lies in the heart of the extensive Kuenring land holdings, serving as a stable anchor in turbulent times. It also protected the ancient route from the Danube across the Nordwald and on toward Bohemia.
Burg Schlaining is a castle in Stadtschlaining in the Austrian state of Burgenland. It is the location of the "Austrian Study Center for Peace and Conflict Resolution" founded in 1982 and has established itself over the past decades as an international competence center for peace research, education and practice. It is a historical and authentic arena of peace, where strategies for non-violent conflict resolution are developed and conveyed.
Seebenstein Castle is in Seebenstein , Lower Austria . The hilltop castle consists of two systems, the old part with a round keep and a dilapidated palace from the 13th/14th centuries. Century and the high castle from the 15th to 17th century. The latter houses an important collection of weapons and medieval art, including a sculpture of the Virgin Mary by Veit Stoss . A Madonna by Tilman Riemenschneider was sold. There is a chapel in a corner of the high castle .
Sommeregg is a medieval castle near Seeboden in the Austrian state of Carinthia, Austria. It is situated in the foothills of the Nock Mountains at an altitude of 749 m. The fortress served as an administrative seat in the Upper Carinthian estates held by the Counts of Ortenburg and Celje; it later was the residence of the Graben and Khevenhüller dynasties; ministeriales of the Austrian House of Habsburg. In the Torture Museum, the Middle Ages are shown from its terrible side on an exhibition.
Burgruine Dürnstein is a ruin of a castle in Lower Austria, Austria. The castle was erected in the early 12th century at the behest of Hadmar I of Kuenring. The castle is known for being one of the places where King Richard I of England, returning from the Third Crusade, was imprisoned after being captured near Vienna by Duke Leopold V of Austria, from December 1192 until his extradition to Emperor Henry VI in March 1193.
The ruins of Falkenstein Castle is in the Weinviertel region of Lower Austria, about 55 kilometres (34 mi) north of Vienna near the border to Czech Republic. The castle was used as a "Reichsfeste", for the protection of the HRE Reich with an overview over nearly all of Moravia. It was founded around 1050 by Emperor Henry III. During the summer season, the inner ward is turned into an impressive site for medieval feasts and theatre plays.