122 Man-made Structures- Other to explore in Italy
Located in Southern Europe consisting of a peninsula delimited by the Alps and surrounded by several islands.
The Alta Via dei Monti Liguri is an excursion itinerary about 440 km long that develops on the watershed delimiting the Ligurian coast. It was officially born in 1983 from a joint project of the Unioncamere Liguri Study Center, the Italian Alpine Club, and the Italian Hiking Federation. The Alta Via is protected by the regional law of 25 January 1993, n. 5 which has entrusted its management to a specially formed association of the same name.
The Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana is an ecclesiastical institution comprising a public library, a picture gallery, and an academy of studies, founded in 1607 by Cardinal Federico Borromeo, located in the municipality of Milan inside the Palazzo dell'Ambrosiana. Some major acquisitions of complete libraries were the manuscripts of the Benedictine monastery of Bobbio (1606) and the library of the Paduan Vincenzo Pinelli, whose more than 800 manuscripts filled 70 cases when they were sent to Mila
The archaeological park of Urbs Salvia is a state archaeological area located in the municipality of Urbisaglia. It is the largest archaeological park in the Marche. The excavation area owned by the Italian State, since 1998 has been granted under management to the Municipality of Urbisaglia, which is also the site of museum, musical and artistic events. In 2015 it registered 8 239 visitors.
The Aurelian Walls in Rome was built in the third century A.D. and are about 19 kilometers long. Works began by Emperor Aurelian during a time of insecurity throughout Italy and the empire. It was originally constructed of tufa concrete, with a facing of triangular bricks. It was originally constructed of tufa concrete, with a facing of triangular bricks.
Barcola is a coastal village. In Roman times it housed one of the most sumptuous villas in the region, perhaps belonging to the favorite of Nero Calvia Crispinilla . The building, built in the second half of the 1st century BC and enlarged in the following century, extended for a length of three hundred meters along the seafront and had spas, a pier and extensive gardens. Many rooms were decorated with mosaics and statues . Some finds are kept in the Tergestino Lapidary at the Castle of San Gius
The Salaborsa Library was inaugurated in 2001 inside Palazzo d'Accursio, the historic seat of the Municipality of Bologna. It overlooks Piazza Nettuno and via Ugo Bassi. Visitors to the library are able to see an archaeological site through the crystal floor in the center of the library. The ancient ruins are also accessible from the basement floor, where there is information about them.
The Bigo is an architectural structure present in the ancient port of Genoa. Designed by Renzo Piano for the Colombiadi in 1992, the name and design are inspired by the bigo , that is the crane used for loading and unloading in the naval environment. The Bigo has, in addition to an image function, also a structural function and a tourist one.
The Port of Cagliari lies on the southern shores of the island of Sardinia, a region in Italy. The capital of Sardinia, it is just over 400 kilometers southwest of Rome. It is the island’s main industrial and commercial center, and the port boasts one of the largest container terminals in the Mediterranean Sea. The port is also an important employer in the area, with more than 3,000 employees who provide services to more than 5,500 ships every year.
The Cammino dei Briganti is a long-distance circular path that runs between Abruzzo and Lazio , straddling the historical-geographical regions of Marsica and Cicolano . About 100 kilometers long, it does not exceed 1,200 m asl except for the optional stage of the Duchessa lake.
Campo San Polo is the largest campo in Venice, second in size only to Piazza San Marco. The name derives from the church of San Polo which rises in the southwestern corner facing the apse. Initially, it was intended for crops and pastures. In 1493 it was entirely paved and the well was placed in the center of the field. After the pavement, it was used as a place for markets, fairs, and large meetings.
Capo Colonna is the promontory that determines the western limit of the Gulf of Taranto, where the temple dedicated to Hera Lacinia once stood. Until the sixteenth century, it was called "head of the columns" because many columns of the temple of Hera Lacinia remained in their place. In ancient times his name was Lacinion. Its importance lies in the quantity of historical elements that are linked to this tip of land stretching out over the Ionian.
The Castello del Valentino is an ancient Savoy residence, as well as a historic building in Turin located in the Valentino Park of the same name on the banks of the Po river . Owned by the State since 1850 and later assigned to the Polytechnic of Turin , it houses the headquarters of the Department of Architecture and the related three-year and master's degree courses.
The castle of Punta Pagana is located in the extreme point of the same name inside the private park of Villa Spinola, the latter residence of the Grand Master of the Order of Malta since 1959. The ancient seventeenth-century fortress is located in the administrative territory of Rapallo, west of San Michele di Pagana, along the geographical border with Santa Margherita Ligure.
The Ussel castle is one of the castles medieval of Valle d'Aosta. It is located on top of a rocky ridge overlooking the village of Châtillon, in a position that guarantees control of the entrance to the Valtournenche and the valley floor of the Dora Baltea. The castle rises on a serpentinite rock, separated from the rest of the mountain by the "Aosta- Ranzola " fault worked over the centuries by the Pleistocene glacier.
The Catacombs of San Gennaro are ancient underground cemetery areas dating back to the II-III century and represent the most important monument of Christianity in Naples. The catacombs lie under the Rione Sanità neighborhood of Naples, sometimes called the "Valley of the Dead".The site is now easily identified by the large church of Madre del Buon Consiglio.
The Charterhouse of Padula , or San Lorenzo, is a charterhouse located in Padula, in the Vallo di Diano, in the province of Salerno. It is the first charterhouse to be built in Campania, anticipating that of San Martino in Naples and San Giacomo in Capri. Extending over an area of 51,500 m², arranged over three cloisters, a garden, a courtyard, and a church, it is one of the most sumptuous Baroque monumental complexes in southern Italy, as well as the largest charter nationwide and among the l
The monumental cemetery of the Certosa di Bologna is located just outside the circle of the city walls , near the Renato Dall'Ara stadium , at the foot of the Guardia hill where the sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca is located . The municipal cemetery was established in 1801 by reusing the pre-existing structures of the Certosa di San Girolamo di Casara , founded in the mid-fourteenth century, suppressed in 1797 by Napoleon , and of which the Church of San Girolamo is still in operation.
The funicular railway which has linked Como and Brunate since 1894 is still the quickest way of travelling between these two towns, but it is also an opportunity to enjoy enchanting views over Lake Como and the Alps. ATM runs this service according to the same principles of efficiency, customer satisfaction and respect for the environment which guide its management of Milan’s public transport.
The Teatro Della Concordia in Monte Castello di Vibio, in the province of Perugia, is the smallest Italian theater and one of the smallest historical theaters. It is defined with the slogan "the smallest in the world" as it is the faithful and successful miniature reproduction of the great Italian and European theaters.