51 Notable Architectures to explore in Italy
Located in Southern Europe consisting of a peninsula delimited by the Alps and surrounded by several islands.
It was erected in Rimini, Italy. This is a triumphal arch built in honor of Rome’s first emperor, Augustus, by the Roman Senate. This triumphal arch was built in 27 B.C.E. This is the oldest standing arch in Rome. The arch has one barrel-vaulted entryway. It signaled the end of the via Flaminia, which connected the cities of Romagna to Rome, and spans the modern Corso d'Augusto, which led to the beginning of another road, the via Emilia, which ran northwest to Piacenza.
The Arch of Augustus of Rimini is the oldest existing Roman arch. Built-in 28 BC, it was dedicated by the Roman Senate to the emperor Augustus. It marked the end of the Via Flaminia that connected the Romagna city to the capital of the empire, then merging into today's Corso d'Augusto, the decumano massimo, which led to the entrance to another road, the Via Emilia.
The Arch of Trajan or Trajan's Arch of Benevento is a celebratory arch dedicated to Emperor Trajan on the occasion of the opening of the Via Traiana, a variant of the Via Appia that shortened the path between Benevento and Brindisi. The monument, which has reached us substantially intact, including the numerous sculptural reliefs that decorate the surfaces, appears to be the best-preserved Roman triumphal arch with reliefs.
The Arco Castle is a castle located at Arco in the province of Trento. The castle consists of a system of buildings and fortifications that in total covers an area of over 23,000 square meters. The building embraces the top of a steep rocky cliff in a dominant position above the Sarca plain. The historic center of Arco rises at the base of this rock formation and it seems that the complex of walls of the castle once constituted a single defensive system with those of the village below.
“Arch of Peace”, is a triumphant arch located at Porta Sempione, one of Milan's many city gates. This 25m-high triumphal arch was situated at the northwestern edge of Parco Sempione. On the top of the Arch stands a statuary group in bronze depicting the “Chariot of Peace” flanked by the four “Victorias on Horseback”, while the facade shows the embodiments of the rivers Po, Ticino, Adda and Tagliamento.
The Basilica of San Bernardino is a religious building of the Aquila, located in the quarter of Santa Maria. It was built, with the adjacent convent, between 1454 and 1472 in honor of St. Bernardino of Siena, whose remains are kept inside the mausoleum of the Saint built by Silvestro dell'Aquila. The facade, erected in the following century by Cola dell'Amatrice with Michelangelo's influences, is considered the highest expression of Renaissance architecture in Abruzzo.
The Castello del Buonconsiglio is the most important secular building in Trentino and stands on a rocky promontory in the northeast of the old town of Trento. The Castello is a multi-wing, listed building in Trento in the autonomous region of Trentino-South Tyrol. It was the bishop's residence of the prince- bishops of Trent until 1796. Today the limestone complex houses an art history museum, rooms for temporary exhibitions, a memorial for Italian irredentists, a museum shop, and a restaurant.
The Norman castle of Santa Severina also called Carafa or of Roberto il Guiscardo, the Norman king who ordered its construction in the eleventh century is a castle in the town of Santa Severina. The structure covers approximately 10,000 m² and overlooks the wide valley of the Neto river and the hills of the Marquisate of Crotone, near Crotone. It is composed of a square keep and four cylindrical towers that are located on the sides of the castle; it is also flanked by four protruding bastions a
Runkelstein Castle is a castle medieval dell ' Alto Adige. It is known for its extensive cycle of frescoes depicting aspects of courtly life and culture, which earned it the nickname "Illustrated Manor". The castle is located not far from Bolzano on a spur of rock overlooking the Talvera torrent at the mouth of the Val Sarentino, on the edge of the municipal area of Renon. Unlike many other castles in South Tyrol which have been heavily renovated in modern times, Castel Roncolo has essentially
The castle Brown , formerly the castle of St. George , is a defensive and noble house building situated uphill to the castle in Portofino , the Tigullio. During excavations in the area where now stands the military fortress were discovered traces of an ancient tower of sighting the Roman era that historians have established between II and III century, its dating. The castle, located in a strategic position since it was possible to have a wide view over the village and the area.
The Malconsiglio castle is the castle of Miglionico ( Matera ), built on a hill in the city starting from the VIII - IX century , in a strategic position, known for having hosted the conspiracy of the barons in 1485 . It had two successive extensions, the first in 1110 and the second in 1400 . It has the shape of a parallelogram , flanked by seven towers , some squares (the oldest), two towers and others circular, placed at the top of the building.
Zisa Castle was built in the 12th century by Arab craftsmen as a summer retreat for King William I of Sicily. It's now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with handsome windows overlooking the gardens. The Zisa is clearly inspired by Moorish architecture. The name Zisa itself derives from the Arab term al-Azīz, meaning "dear" or "splendid". The same word, in Naskh script, is impressed in the entrance, according to the usual habit for the main Islamic edifices of the time.
The Castello di Maniace is a manor house built on the site of a former ancient monastery 1 km east of the centre of the small village of Maniace. Originally, one could only enter the castle over a bridge spanning a moat. A feature of the castle is the decorated portal. Today the castle is open to the public and is a local tourist attraction in Syracuse.
The Ursino Castle in Catania was built by Frederick II of Swabia in the XIII century. The manor had certain visibility during the Sicilian Vespers, as the seat of the parliament and, later, the residence of the Aragonese kings including Frederick III. Today it houses the Civic Museum of the Etnean city, formed mainly by the Biscari and Benedictine collections.
The castle of Agliè is one of the Residences of the royal house of Savoy declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997. 1 It has the code 823-019 and is located in Piazza Castello, 2 in Agliè. This ducal castle of Agliè is an elegant and imposing construction. The construction of the central nucleus, of which the traces are still identifiable today, began in the 12th century on behalf of the San Martino family, originally from Canavese.
The castle in Grinzane Cavour is one of the best examples of the medieval architecture in the Langhe. Its present shape is the result of a complete restoring made in 1961, that has reshaped it in its original features after the many reworkings. dramatic hilltop perch and imposing watchtowers make this 13th-century fortress one of the most remarkable sights in the UNESCO-listed Le Langhe-Roero countryside.
The Sarriod de La Tour castle is a medieval Aosta Valley manor located in the municipality of Saint-Pierre, in the flat area planted with orchards that run along the Dora Baltea and the SS26, on the opposite side of the village from the more famous castle of Saint-Pierre. Looking at it from the top of the Saint-Pierre castle, the Sarriod de La Tour castle appears as an irregular set of buildings surrounded by walls, located in a flat area a little outside the town and close to the Dora Baltea.
The Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore is an ancient Catholic basilica that is considered to be the largest of the churches dedicated to the Virgin Mary in Rome. It is one of the city’s four major basilicas. Built on a pagan temple dedicated to the goddess Cybele. The basilica displays varied architectural styles, from early Christian to Baroque. The entire building was restored and renovated during the eighteenth century.
The Teatro Della Concordia in Monte Castello di Vibio, in the province of Perugia, is the smallest Italian theater and one of the smallest historical theaters. It is defined with the slogan "the smallest in the world" as it is the faithful and successful miniature reproduction of the great Italian and European theaters.
The cathedral took nearly six centuries to complete. It is the largest church in Italy, the third-largest in Europe and the fifth-largest in the world. The roof is open to tourists for a fee, which allows many a close-up view of some spectacular sculpture that would otherwise be unappreciated.