Attractions to explore nearby Pont de Berne
The Berne Bridge is a covered wooden bridge over the Sarine, located in the canton of Friborg, Switzerland.Built-in 1250, a century after the founding of the city, it is one of the oldest in Switzerland. Over the centuries, it has been regularly renovated, remaining today the last covered wooden bridge in Friborg. This bridge has been part of the 1995 inventory of the cultural property of national importance in the canton of Friborg.
The Middle Bridge, called in German Mittlere Brücke, is a road bridge over the Sarine, located in the canton of Friborg, Switzerland. It is one of the three bridges in the Lower Town of Friborg. It is preceded upstream by that of the Saint-Jean bridge and followed downstream by that of Bern. This bridge has been a cultural property of national importance 3 at least since the 1995 inventory.
The Zaehringen bridge was built in 1924, replacing the Grand suspension bridge, which stood in the same place since 1834. It has a span of 273 meters It was the pride and joy of the people of Fribourg, and visitors from around the world flocked to see it. The bridge has also been discribe in books and painted by many artists and writers.
Fribourg Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Fribourg, Switzerland, built in the Gothic style, on a rocky outcrop 50 meters above the river Sarine, dominating the medieval town below. It is the episcopal seat of the Diocese of Lausanne, Geneva, and Fribourg. It is one of the notable architecture of the Gothic style.
The Gutenberg Museum of Fribourg aims to help visitors understand the different aspects of letterpress printing and communication in an interesting way. It invites novices and specialists, school classes, young people and adults into the multicoloured world of the art of printing. The museum also has two rooms that can be rented for various occasions. They are equipped with the latest presentation technology - ideal for corporate events.
L'Espace is a magical place that pays tribute to the creativity of two great artists of the 20th century. Erected in 1900, the building originally housed the Fribourg tramway depot. The memory of the place takes on a poetic dimension in dialogue with Tinguely's work. Among other things, the visitor will discover a masterpiece by Jean Tinguely: the "Retable de l'Abondance Occidentale et du Mercantilisme totalitaire" and the 22 reliefs entitled "Remembering" by Niki de Saint Phalle.
Fribourg's Contemporary Art Centre Fri Art, mounts temporary exhibitions with experienced artists. Its artistic influence and avant-garde vision have enabled it to acquire an international reputation. With its coherent and forward-looking programme, Fri Art is a laboratory, a production centre open to the development of current artistic trends.
Spread over three old buildings in the town of Fribourg, the museum has a magnificent garden in front of it adorned with monumental sculptures by Saint Phalle, Luginbühl, Ramseyer, Wiggli and Angéloz. Among the museum's many displays you will find a collection of local archaeology, objects presenting Fribourg's political and cultural life and sculptures and paintings from the 11th to the 20th centuries. The Art and History Museum is located near the Espace Jean Tinguely - Niki de Saint Phalle an
The abbey, founded in 1255, is the first monastery of Fribourg welcoming women. For more than seven and a half centuries, it is home to the nuns of the Cistercian order. The abbey is situated on the Sarine River and lies on the border between French-speaking and German-speaking Switzerland. The community is bilingual. It is one of the famous pilgrimage centers in this area and also a tourist attraction too.
Lac de Pérolles, a reservoir formed by Maigrauge Dam, is a reservoir on the Saane/Sarine river at Fribourg, in western Switzerland. Its surface area is 0.35 square kilometres. The dam was built in 1872, and its height was increased by 2.5 metres in 1910. The watershed is 1,250 square kilometres. The Maigrauge Dam has a gated spillway.
Poya Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge in Fribourg, Switzerland. The bridge is 851.6 meters in overall length with a 196 m main span over the Sarine River, which is the longest main span in Switzerland. The bridge was built to remove traffic from the Zaehringen Bridge and adjacent neighborhoods and upon opening, on 12 October 2014, the Zaehringen Bridge was closed to most motor vehicles.
The cabinet of exhibition of the collection the Bible and Orient Museum offers an outline of the distant world of the ancient east cradle of the biblical texts and three world religions. A collection of Egyptian seals as well as a significant collection of cylindrical seals are to be seen in the cabinet. It was one of the unique museums in Switzerland and also attracts a lot of tourists here.
The Botanical Garden is an institution of the Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg which is scientifically guided and maintained by dedicated gardeners. On a surface area of 1.5 hectares, its living collections total 5,000 plant species, divided into 21 sectors and 3 greenhouses. It was Created in 1937 for the teaching of pharmacy and medicine, it has now become a real open-air museum, which welcomes nearly 200,000 visitors a year.
The Grandfey-Viaduct is on the railway line from Bern to Fribourg and is one of the largest bridges in Switzerland. The viaduct crosses the deep and wide Saane/Sarine valley, which is cut into Molasse rock, in the hamlet of Grandfey in Granges-Paccot, about three kilometres north of Fribourg station on the way to Düdingen. The viaduct crosses the language border between Romandy and German-speaking Switzerland.
The Sensler Museum is the cultural-historical museum of the Sense district in Tafers, Canton of Friborg, Switzerland. It collects and preserves cultural assets and supports contemporary cultural creation. The museum was opened in 1975 in the Sigristenhaus in the village center. The building in which the Sensler Museum has housed dates from the 18th century. It was originally built as a schoolhouse.
The Lake Schiffenen at Düdingen is a popular excursion destination for young and old. The steep sides of the lake offer a wonderful view of nature. Innumerable fish species, such as perch, pike, or pikeperch are at home here. A camping spot with a small bathing area, many opportunities for water sports, and several children’s playgrounds make Lake Schiffenen a perfect excursion destination for warm summer days.
Hauterive Abbey is the oldest working Romanesque abbey. It is possible to visit the Romanesque church with its Gothic choir. Exceptional stalls provide seating for the monks. The abbey's history began in 1131, at an isolated site, when a local nobleman donated his lands to build a monastery. The church, built between 1150 and 1160, is a fine example of medieval architecture. It has a Romanesque structure and a Gothic choir.