19 Attractions to Explore Near Abhayagiri Dagaba
Abhayagiri Vihāra was a primary religious site in Mahayana, Theravada and Vajrayana Buddhism located in Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka and it is one of the most extensive ruins in the world. It is one of the holiest Buddhist pilgrimage cities in the country.
It is also known as Puravidu Bhavana, one of the archaeological museums in North Central Province. The museum was established in 1947 under the prime effort of Dr. Senarath Paranavithana. It is one of the oldest museums.
Wilpattu National Park is located 26 km north of Puttalam. With an area of 131,693 hectares Wilpattu National Park is the largest and oldest wildlife sanctuary in Sri Lanka. The park features more than 50 wetlands, 31 species of mammals, and countless species of birds.
Hurulu Forest Reserve of Sri Lanka designated in January 1977 as a biosphere reserve. The forest reserve is an essential habitat of the Sri Lankan elephant. Hurulu forest reserve represents Sri Lanka dry-zone dry evergreen forests. Carved out at the Hurulu Forest Reserve edge is the Hurulu Eco Park, which offers jeep safaris.
It is a national park located 197 km away from Colombo city. In April 2002, it was designated as a national park to become the 15th such in the country. Historically it was one of the 16 irrigation tanks built by King Mahasen and was reconstructed in 1959, now attracting and supporting a variety of plant and animal life, including large mammals, fish and reptiles.
It is also known as St Peter's Kerk, located between the Dutch fort and the village of Kalpitiya. The church was built in 1706 by the Dutch and is a smaller version of the church in Matara fort. It is one of the earliest protestant churches in the country.
It is also known as Gal Viharaya and formerly as the Uttararama.It is a rock temple of the Buddha located in North Central Province, Sri Lanka and was created in the 12th century by Parakramabahu I, the king of the old Kingdom of Polonnaruwa. The temple's central feature is four rock relief statues of the Buddha, which are carved into the face of a granite rock.
It is a hemispherical structure located in the old city of Polonnaruwa. Nissanka Malla of Polonnaruwa built the stupa who used to be the country ruler from 1187 to 1196. The currently used name Rankoth Vehera means in English Gold Pinnacled.
Nissanka Latha Mandapaya is a unique structure in the old city of Polonnaruwa in North Central Province, Sri Lanka. Built by King Nissanka Malla and named after him, it is located near the western entrance of the Dalada Maluva, the area that has the oldest and the holiest monuments in the city.
It is an old site belonging back to the Kingdom of Polonnaruwa in Sri Lanka. It believed to be built either through the reign of "Parakramabahu I", to hold the Relic of the tooth of the Buddha, or while the reign of Nissanka Malla of Polonnaruwa to hold the alms bowl used by the Buddha.
It is a Buddhist Stupa located in the old city of Polonnaruwa and situated in the Somawathiya National Park on the Mahaweli River's left edge. It is believed to built to enshrine the right canine relic of the tooth of the Buddha. It is named after Princess Somawathi, the sister of King Kavantissa, and the wife of regional ruler Prince Abhaya.
It is a natural park in Sri Lanka located 225 km away from Colombo in Matale and Polonnaruwa. It is also one of the protected areas where you can see Sri Lankan Elephants in large crowds. It is also one of the important birds areas in the country.
Marble Beach or Marble Bay Beach, is a beautiful golden beach located in the north of Sri Lanka at the Marble Bay within the Trincomalee’s natural harbor area. It is best to go on weekdays to avoid crowdedness. When the day is bright and the sea is calm, you can see the surface shining like marble and that’s how the name was derived.
A British military graveyard in Trincomalee for British Empire soldiers from World War II. The place is located on Trincomalee–Nilaveli Road, around 6 km north Trincomalee. It is one of six Commonwealth war graveyards in Sri Lanka and managed by the Ministry of Defense in Sri Lankan on behalf of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Fort Fredrick is located in Trincomalee, Eastern Province, Sri Lanka and built by the Portuguese in 1624 on Swami Rock-Konamamalai near Koneswaram temple. The Fort named Triquillimale was dismantled and rebuilt by the Dutch in 1665 and renamed as Fort Fredrick.
The Hindu temple complex from medieval time in Trincomalee, a Hindu religious pilgrimage destination in Eastern Province, Sri Lanka. The Earliest records say it was constructed back in 6th century BC. However, it underwent restorations, and the last one was in the 1950s due to the destruction from colonial religious attacks between 1622 and 1624.
Pigeon Island National Park lies 1 km off the coast of Nilaveli in Eastern Province, containing a total area of 471.429 hectares. The island's name came from the rock pigeon which colonized it. The park includes some of the best remaining coral reefs of Sri Lanka. This place in the 17th century used as a shooting range during the colonial era. Pigeon Island was one of the several protected areas affected by the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004.
Pitawala Pathana also known as “Mini World’s end” it is a magnificent grassland located in the Knuckles Mountain Range, Matale district. Pitawala Pathana offers lovely views of green landscapes and valleys which made it famous for camping and hiking. An easy nature trail of about 0.75 km takes the visitor to Mini World's End, a deep escarpment situated at Pitawala Pathana. It resembles a small version of the famous World's End in Horton Plains.