Metropolitan Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist
Dagupan - Binmaley Rd, Downtown District, Dagupan, Pangasinan, Philippines
About Metropolitan Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lingayen–Dagupan is an archdiocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the Province of Pangasinan, Philippines. Its cathedral is the Metropolitan Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist in Dagupan City with a co-cathedral, the Epiphany of Our Lord Parish Church, in the neighboring municipality of Lingayen.
Attractions near Metropolitan Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist
This Roman Catholic Church has been named National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum of the Philippines as well as the National Commission for Culture and the Arts. The church was built from 17th to 19th centuries by the Dominicans and is famous for its well-preserved bell tower as well as its prized original retablos. Following the architecture of the Baroque design, the church also features intricately painted ceilings, a majestic dome, and a magnificently carved exterior.
Built-in 1587, Epiphany of Our Lord Parish is one of the oldest Roman Catholic churches in Pangasinan. Influenced by the town’s Christianized Chinese inhabitants during the Spanish Colonial Period, the church was made of adobe with an oriental pagoda-like bell tower. Currently, a replica of the original “retablo” is displayed inside, while a number of huge tower bells from the 1800s are displayed outside the church. Earning its distinction as one of the best structures in Pangasinan.
St. Dominic de Guzman Parish Church was the largest existing Catholic Church in the Philippines during the late 18th century. Built by Dominican friars in the 1500’s, the church follows a Baroque style of architecture. It was constructed with ladrillo or bricks while its top level features a painting of Saint Dominic. The church was reconstructed several times after being destroyed by fire, in 1587 and in 1718, and after a number of natural disasters.
Our Lady of Charity is also known locally as Apo Caridad. It is also remarked as the Protectress of Ilocandia's crops and harvests from pestilence and natural calamities, and widely known for "precipitating rain in times of drought". Our Lady of Charity made the town of Agoo a major religious center of the north.
Tapuacan River, also known as Pugo - Cleanest Inland River of the North, is located in Barangay Cares, municipality of Pugo, La Union. In Ilocano terminology, “tapuakan” means "a place where one can jump as high". In the exquisite river, cool and pristine water flows from the town's streams amid huge rock beds or awesome large and quite flat rock formations surrounded by forests and a waterfall.
The national park actually covers a land area of 1,884 hectares and consists of 123 islands during high tide and 124 islands during low tide, however, only 3 islands have been developed for tourists. These are Governor, Quezon and Children’s Island. These islands is famous for its white sand beaches and it is always open for tourists.
Where is Metropolitan Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist
Discover more attractions in Dagupan, where Metropolitan Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist is located