20 Attractions to Explore Near Duomo di Milano
The cathedral took nearly six centuries to complete. It is the largest church in Italy, the third-largest in Europe and the fifth-largest in the world. The roof is open to tourists for a fee, which allows many a close-up view of some spectacular sculpture that would otherwise be unappreciated.
The Palazzo dell'Arengario is a building consisting of two twin buildings located in Piazza del Duomo in Milan. hardly you won't notice this 30's building and its art deco architecture. Several works of art from the 20th century, from futurism to Italian Arte Povera, are marvelously preserved in its rooms. In the 2000s, the palace was restored and adapted by Italo Rota and Fabio Fornasari to house the Museo del Novecento, a museum of twentieth-century art inaugurated in 2010, especially renowne
Piazza del Duomo is the main square of Milan, its real geometric center and commercial for over seven centuries. It is the vital center of the city, a meeting point for the Milanese to celebrate important events and, together with the adjacent Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, an iconic place par excellence of the metropolis and a destination for visitors and tourists from all over the world.
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II is an elegant nineteenth-century shopping arcade which houses some of the most luxurious boutiques in Milan. It is located between two of the main monuments in Milan: il Duomo and the Teatro alla Scala. It also contains some of the nice restaurants, including some of the oldest establishments of Milan. The massive Galleria makes for a stunning sight, and its enormous dimensions have made it an overnight sensation ever since it was opened to the people of Milan.
Palazzo Marino is a 16th-century palace located in Piazza Della Scala, in the center of Milan, Italy. It has been Milan's city hall since 9 September 1861. The palace has been the seat of the administration of the city of Milan since 1861. The building is named after Tommaso Marino, a rich Genoan merchant who commissioned the palace to make it his private home, although he died in bankruptcy. It became public property in 1781 when it was restored.
The church of San Bernardino alle Ossa is a church in Milan, located in Piazza Santo Stefano. Also mentioned in the past as San Bernardino ai Morti, the church is known for its ossuary, whose walls are mostly covered with bones to form real decorations. The ossuary was considered a sinister but popular place, where the interior walls were decorated with human bones and skulls. It is very similar to the church in Rome called Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini.
The Palazzo della Ragione was the ancient seat of city courts and the covered market of Padua. It was built starting from 1218 and raised in 1306 by Giovanni Degli Eremitani who gave it the characteristic roof in the shape of an overturned ship hull. The upper floor is occupied by the largest hanging room in the world, called the "Salone" with a wooden ceiling in the shape of a ship's hull. It is part of the Civic Museums of Padua. The lower floor houses the historic covered market of the city.
Piazza Mercanti is a square in Milan created as the center of city life in medieval times, later transformed into via Mercanti. Piazza Mercanti means, in everyday language, the square circumscribed by the Palazzo Della Ragione, the Casa dei Panigarola, and the Loggia degli Osii. In the 13th century, there were six entry points to the square, each associated to a specific trade, from sword blacksmiths to hat makers.
Piazza della Scala is a pedestrian central square of Milan connected to the main square of Milan, Piazza del Duomo, by the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II passage. The name of the square dates back to the church of Santa Maria della Scala, dating from 1381, which was once located here. The center of the square is marked by the monument of Leonardo da Vinci by sculptor Pietro Magni.
The Museo Teatrale alla Scala is a theatrical museum and library attached to the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. It is also one of the most famous opera houses in the world. Many famous operas have had their first production in La Scala, such as Othello, Nabucco by Verdi or Madame Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini. The Theatre Museum contains a large collection of paintings, busts, costumes and several other objects related to the world of opera and theatre.
The Teatro Alla Scala, colloquially known as La Scala, is the main opera house in Milan. Considered among the most prestigious theaters in the world, for 242 years it has hosted the main artists in the international field of opera and classical music. The building, designed by Giuseppe Piermarini and inaugurated in 1778, was built on the ashes of the previous Ducal Theater. The theater complex is located in the square of the same name, flanked by the Casino Ricordi, home to the La Scala Theater
The Velasca Tower is a skyscraper built in the 1950s by the BBPR architectural partnership, Milan, Italy. The tower is approximately 100 metres tall and has a peculiar and characteristic mushroom-like shape. The building responds to its prominent location near the Milan Cathedral in the city's historic center. It was one of the iconic buildings in this area which was also a famous gathering point too.
The Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana is an ecclesiastical institution comprising a public library, a picture gallery, and an academy of studies, founded in 1607 by Cardinal Federico Borromeo, located in the municipality of Milan inside the Palazzo dell'Ambrosiana. Some major acquisitions of complete libraries were the manuscripts of the Benedictine monastery of Bobbio (1606) and the library of the Paduan Vincenzo Pinelli, whose more than 800 manuscripts filled 70 cases when they were sent to Mila
The Poldi Pezzoli Museum is a house museum located in the central Via Manzoni in Milan; was created by Count Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli who, by means of a testamentary disposition of 1871, had set up a Poldi-Pezzoli artistic foundation that would collect in perpetuity the works of art he himself collected and that was in the home at the time of his death. The autonomous foundation was later erected as a non-profit organization with Royal Decree in 1887.
The beautiful Via Monte Napoleone traces the old city walls built by Roman Emperor Maximian. In the first half of the 19th century, the street was reconstructed almost entirely in a neoclassical style and lined with the palaces of Milan's highest aristocracy. Via Monte Napoleone is particularly famous for its ready-to-wear clothing- and jewelry shops.
The Bagatti Valsecchi Museum is a historic residence located in the Montenapoleone district, in the center of Milan. "Palazzo Bagatti Valsecchi", which houses the museum, was purchased by the Lombardy Region in 1975 and is one of the most important and best-preserved museum houses in Europe. Since October 2008 it has been part of the " Case Museo di Milano " circuit.
The Brera Botanical Garden is located in the centre of Milan, adjacent to the south facade of the historic building from which it takes its name. The garden hosts educational and research activities in the fields of science, history, art, and the promotion of cultural heritage, including through projects and collaborations with other institutions and museums. It offers schools a wide range of educational, scientific, and interdisciplinary itineraries.
Villa Necchi Campiglio is a historic residence which is part of the " Case Museo di Milano " circuit. Located in via Mozart 14, it was built between 1932 and 1935 as an independent single-family house based on a design by Piero Portaluppi, one of the greatest Italian architects of that period, and is surrounded by a large garden with a tennis court and swimming pool.
The Pinacoteca di Brera is a national gallery of ancient and modern art, located in the palace of the same name, one of the largest complexes in Milan with over 24,000 square meters of surface. The museum exhibits one of the most famous collections in Italy of painting, specializing in Venetian and Lombard painting, with important pieces from other schools. Moreover, thanks to donations, it offers an exhibition itinerary that ranges from prehistoric times to contemporary art, with masterpieces
The Basilica of San Lorenzo was established during the fourth century and is the oldest church in Milan which was dedicated to San Lorenzo and is built with enormous blocks that were taken from other Roman sites. One of the church's highlights is the Chapel of Saint Aquilino with its fourth-century Byzantine mosaics, adjoining the main church. In the center of the courtyard, Emporer Constantine stands in bronze, a tribute to his Edict of Milan in 313, which ended Christian persecution within th