Top 89 attractions you must visit in Lombardy
Contents in This Page
About 10 million people, forming one-sixth of Italy's population, live in Lombardy and about a fifth of Italy's GDP is produced in the region, making it the most populous and richest region in the country and one of the richest regions in Europe.
Attractions in Lombardy
The Carrara Academy is a picture gallery located in Bergamo. The exhibition itinerary, organized on two floors and developed in 28 rooms, consists of over six hundred works on display that cover a chronological span of five centuries, from the beginning of the fifteenth century to the end of the nineteenth century, touching the main Italian pictorial schools and the French painting of Flanders and Holland. The museum is flanked by the homonymous academy of fine arts.
L ' Acquafraggia or water Fraggia is a river of Lombardy, which flows in the province of Sondrio. It is born on the border with Switzerland, from the slopes of Cima di Lago, on the watershed between the tributaries of the North Sea, the Mediterranean, and the Black Sea, then flowing in a north-east-southwest direction in the territory of the municipality of Piuro . It flows into the Mera from the right in the Borgonuovo area. It is of glacial origin and takes its name from the Latin "Aqua Fracta
The Civic Aquarium of Milan is one of the largest and oldest of its kind in Italy which was established in 1906. it hosts 36 pools filled with more than 100 species of fish, living in recreated environments ranging from Lombardy to Italy, to the Amazon. It also includes also a public library, with one of the most prestigious collections of marine biology publications in Italy.
The Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana is an ecclesiastical institution comprising a public library, a picture gallery, and an academy of studies, founded in 1607 by Cardinal Federico Borromeo, located in the municipality of Milan inside the Palazzo dell'Ambrosiana. Some major acquisitions of complete libraries were the manuscripts of the Benedictine monastery of Bobbio (1606) and the library of the Paduan Vincenzo Pinelli, whose more than 800 manuscripts filled 70 cases when they were sent to Mila
The term " Grotte di Catullo " identifies a Roman villa built between the end of the 1st century BC and the 1st century AD in Sirmione, in the province of Brescia, on the southern shore of Lake Garda. The archaeological complex, part of which, especially in the northern sector, which has always remained insight, has been the subject of scholarly visits and speculations since the 15th century, is today the most important testimony of the Roman period in the territory of Sirmione and is the exampl
“Arch of Peace”, is a triumphant arch located at Porta Sempione, one of Milan's many city gates. This 25m-high triumphal arch was situated at the northwestern edge of Parco Sempione. On the top of the Arch stands a statuary group in bronze depicting the “Chariot of Peace” flanked by the four “Victorias on Horseback”, while the facade shows the embodiments of the rivers Po, Ticino, Adda and Tagliamento.
The Gianni Brera civic arena, even just Arena, is a multipurpose sports facility in Milan. Inaugurated in 1807 as an amphitheater, in 1870 it became the Arena Civica after passing to the Milanese municipality. In 2002 the Arena was dedicated to the memory of Gianni Brera, journalist, and writer, who died ten years earlier. Today it mainly hosts football and rugby union games, concerts, and cultural events. The stadium can hold 18,000–30,000 spectators.
The Autodromo Nazionale Monza is a permanent racing circuit which currently hosts the Italian Grand Prix. Opened in 1922, the Autodromo Nazionale Monza has hosted Italy’s round of the world championship ever since its inauguration with just a single exception
The Bagatti Valsecchi Museum is a historic residence located in the Montenapoleone district, in the center of Milan. "Palazzo Bagatti Valsecchi", which houses the museum, was purchased by the Lombardy Region in 1975 and is one of the most important and best-preserved museum houses in Europe. Since October 2008 it has been part of the " Case Museo di Milano " circuit.
The Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio is a church in the centre of Milan, northern Italy. One of the most ancient churches in Milan, it was built by St. Ambrose in 379–386, in an area where numerous martyrs of the Roman persecutions had been buried. The first name of the church was in fact Basilica Martyrum. The monastery and church became a large landholder in northern Italy and into what is now the Swiss Canton of Ticino.
The Basilica of Sant'Andrea is a Roman Catholic co-cathedral and minor basilica in Mantua, Lombardy. It is one of the major works of 15th-century Renaissance architecture in Northern Italy. . Though later changes and expansions altered Alberti's design, the church is still considered to be one of Alberti's most complete works. It looms over the Piazza Mantegna.
The Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore is an ancient Catholic basilica that is considered to be the largest of the churches dedicated to the Virgin Mary in Rome. It is one of the city’s four major basilicas. An absolute Early Christian masterpiece of art and architecture. You will be taken aback by the beauty of its mosaics, frescoes and sculptures.
The Basilica of Sant'Abbondio is a Romanesque church in Como. Next to it there is a monastery built in the Middle Ages, which today, after being restored, houses the Faculty of Law of the University of Insubria. The church has two notable bell towers rising at the end of the external aisles, in the middle of the nave. The sober façade, once preceded by a portico, has seven windows and a portal. Notable is the external decoration of the choir's windows.
The Basilica of San Lorenzo was established during the fourth century and is the oldest church in Milan which was dedicated to San Lorenzo and is built with enormous blocks that were taken from other Roman sites. One of the church's highlights is the Chapel of Saint Aquilino with its fourth-century Byzantine mosaics, adjoining the main church. In the center of the courtyard, Emporer Constantine stands in bronze, a tribute to his Edict of Milan in 313, which ended Christian persecution within th
Situated on the western side of Lake Maggiore, directly opposite Stresa, the three Borromean Islands lie in a wide gulf surrounded by mountains. The islands take their name from the aristocratic Borromean family, who took ownership of the land in the 16th and 17th centuries. Together totalling just 50 acres in area, they are a major local tourist attraction for their picturesque setting.
The Branca Tower, originally Torre Littoria, is a steel construction built-in 1933 on a project by the architect Giò Ponti and located inside the Sempione Park in Milan. With its 108.60 meters high, it is the tenth highest accessible structure in the city after the Unicredit Tower. The top of the tower is a panoramic point whose view, on a clear day, may encompass the Milan cityline as well as the Alps, the Apennines, and part of the Po Valley.
The Brera Botanical Garden is located in the centre of Milan, adjacent to the south facade of the historic building from which it takes its name. The garden hosts educational and research activities in the fields of science, history, art, and the promotion of cultural heritage, including through projects and collaborations with other institutions and museums. It offers schools a wide range of educational, scientific, and interdisciplinary itineraries.
The Colleoni Chapel, a Renaissance work by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo, is located on the Piazza del Duomo in upper Bergamo, leaning against the basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. it was built between 1472 and 1476 as the personal shrine for the condottiere Bartolomeo Colleoni which was dedicated to the saints Bartholomew, Mark and John the Baptist. One of the main pilgrimage centres in this area and also a nice tourist attraction too.
The Castello del Valentino is an ancient Savoy residence, as well as a historic building in Turin located in the Valentino Park of the same name on the banks of the Po river . Owned by the State since 1850 and later assigned to the Polytechnic of Turin , it houses the headquarters of the Department of Architecture and the related three-year and master's degree courses.
The Vezio castle stands on a promontory at the bottom of the Val d'Esino and overlooks the town of Varenna. The castle is located almost entirely in the territory of Varenna, and for a small portion in the territory of Perledo. The hamlet of Vezio belongs to Perledo in the province of Lecco . Dating back to the 11th century, the castle was remodeled several times over the centuries.