20 Attractions to Explore Near Monte Subasio
Top Trips and Tours in Italy
Tours and activities in Italy that might be of interest to you
All attractions near Monte Subasio
Eremo delle Carceri
1.89km from Monte Subasio
The hermitage of the Carceri is the place where St. Francis of Assisi and his followers retired to pray and meditate. Located 4 kilometers from Assisi, at 791 meters above sea level on the slopes of Mount Subasio, the hermitage of the Carceri rises near some natural caves, frequented by hermits already in the early Christian age.
Basilica di Santa Chiara
4.55km from Monte Subasio
The basilica of Santa Chiara is an important place of worship in the historic center of Assisi. The architectural style is Gothic , and closely resembles the almost contemporary upper basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi. The exterior is characterized by three large polygonal buttresses in the shape of large flying buttresses that reinforce the left side of the building.
Cathedral of San Rufino
4.57km from Monte Subasio
The Cathedral of San Rufino is the main place of worship Catholic city of Assisi, the mother church cathedral of the Diocese of Assisi-Nocera Umbra-Gualdo Tadino. The church stands in the homonymous square, originally a terrace created in Roman times, perhaps (but there is no documented evidence) the forum of the Roman city of Asisium. The facade is one of the most significant works of the "Umbrian" Romanesque and is comparable with contemporary examples in Spoleto, such as the Duomo and San Pi
Sanctuary Chiesa Nuova
4.75km from Monte Subasio
The Chiesa Nuova is a church in Assisi, Italy, built-in 1615 on the site of the presumed birthplace of St. Francis, the house of Pietro di Bernardone. It was then called Chiesa Nuova because it was the last church to be built in Assisi at that time. It was erected because, during a visit to Assisi in 1613, Antonio de Trejo, the Spanish Vicar General of the Franciscans, was saddened when he saw the original home of St. Francis becoming dilapidated.
Piazza del Comune
4.83km from Monte Subasio
The Piazza del Comune, located on the site of the ancient Roman Forum, is considered one of the most representative medieval Umbrian urban realizations. It is an amazing shopping spot in Assisi, where you will find such interesting stores as Mondo T-Shirt, Marini Souvenir and Kéramos. Here you will find cool t-shirts, nice souvenirs and gifts, as well as wonderful Umbrian and Italian ceramics, textiles and tapestries.
Church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva in Assisi
4.84km from Monte Subasio
The so-called temple of Minerva, of Augustan art, rises in Assisi, in Piazza del Comune, probably dedicated to Hercules and erected in 30 BC. It was transformed into the church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva in the sixteenth century, with its bell tower, called "Torre del Popolo". It turns out to be among the best-preserved Roman temples of the ancient world. The building belongs to the typology of the Corinthian prostyle temple "in antis", with fluted columns resting on high quadrangular plinths
4.92km from Monte Subasio
The Rocca Maggiore has dominated the citadel of Assisi and the Tescio valley for more than eight hundred years, constituting the most valid fortification for their defense. You can reach the fortress on foot through the Perlici gate, built-in 1316: you can admire the Assisian walls still intact which, in their long journey, connect the two fortresses, Maggiore and Minore. It is one of the iconic attractions in this area and attracts a lot of tourists here.
St. Peter's Abbey
5.29km from Monte Subasio
The abbey of San Pietro, incorporated in the fifteenth-century expansion of the walls, is located in front of the gardens of the Frontone, in Perugia , at the end of Borgo XX Giugno, outside the San Pietro gate. It was once the most powerful Benedictine monastery in Umbria. It was founded in the 10th century and was the first bishopric of Perugia.
Bosco di San Francesco
5.53km from Monte Subasio
The Bosco di San Francesco is located in Assisi, at the foot of the Basilica dedicated to the Saint who lived and preached in these lands in the thirteenth century, together with his companions, giving life to the Franciscan order. In 2008, the FAI - Fondo Ambiente Italiano, thanks to the donation of Intesa Sanpaolo, acquired 64 hectares of the area, then, in 2011, following reorganization and recovery works, the forest was opened.
Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi
5.7km from Monte Subasio
The Basilica Superiore, which was built immediately after the lower church and consecrated in 1253, is home to one of Italy's most famous works of art – a cycle of 28 frescoes depicting the life of St Francis. It is a Papal minor basilica and one of the most important places of Christian pilgrimage in Italy. With its accompanying friary, Sacro Convento, the basilica is a distinctive landmark to those approaching Assisi. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage site since 2000.
6.69km from Monte Subasio
The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore houses a chapel entirely frescoed by Pintoricchio, commissioned by Troilo Baglioni, between the end of the summer of 1500 and the spring of 1501. In the chapel is the self-portrait of the artist, a sort of provocative response to the self-portrait of another great artist of Perugian painting Pietro Vannucci known as Perugino: Bernardino figure with the face of three quarters, the features hollowed out and almost suffering but proud.
6.94km from Monte Subasio
Spello is an Italian town of 8 466 inhabitants in the province of Perugia in Umbria. It is part of the circuit of the most beautiful villages in Italy and boasts the Orange Flag tourist-environmental quality mark, awarded by the Italian Touring Club. The old walled town lies on a regularly NW-SE sloping ridge that eventually meets the plain. From the top of the ridge, Spello commands a good view of the Umbrian plain towards Perugia.
Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli
7.09km from Monte Subasio
The Basilica of Santa Maria Degli Angeli is a church, the Roman Catholic rite, located in Assisi, in the hamlet of the same name, built on project Galeazzo Alessi with speeches by Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola in the second half of the sixteenth century. It has the dignity of a papal basilica and inside there is the Porziuncola, the chapel where Francis of Assisi gathered in prayer, and for this reason the center of Franciscan spirituality.
10.81km from Monte Subasio
The Trinci Palace is a patrician building which is located in the center of Foligno, in Piazza Della Repubblica and is one of the most interesting houses in Late Gothic central Italy. It contains a precious cycle of frescoes from the early fifteenth century, created by Gentile da Fabriano with the collaboration of other artists, and houses the Civic Art Gallery, the Archaeological Museum, and the Multimedia Museum of tournaments, jousting and games.
11.97km from Monte Subasio
The Chiascio is a river dell ' Umbria , 81.8 km long tributary on the left bank of the Tiber. The river is mentioned, without being named, by Dante Alighieri in Canto XI of Paradise when the Supreme Poet begins the description of the Assisi area : "Intra Tupino and the water that descends from the hill chosen by Blessed Ubaldo" ... where for "The water that descends from the chosen hill" means the Chiascio river. Along the river, in the municipality of Assisi , is the Petrignano Castle , datin
17.46km from Monte Subasio
The Umbra Valley, also called Valley Spoletan, is a wide and extensive flood plain, the second dell ' Umbria, formerly occupied by two lakes, the Lacus Clitorius and the Lacus Umber, previously merged into a single basin and drained today, whose the only remaining trace is the Fonti del Clitunno. Elongated in shape, bordered to the east by the Apennine chain and to the west by the chain of the Martani Mountains, it extends in the north-south direction.
Colfiorito Regional Park
18.33km from Monte Subasio
Colfiorito is a mountain hamlet in the municipality of Foligno, belonging to the District n. 7 "Annifo - Colfiorito". Colfiorito rises 760 meters above sea level on a plateau of karst- marshy origin. Of the seven plateaus surrounding Colfiorito, which derive from the drying up of lakes, only one still hosts a swamp where rare species of animals can be encountered.
19.14km from Monte Subasio
The Torgiano Wine Museum is a specialized private museum. It is based in Torgiano, in the center of an established wine-growing area located between Perugia and Assisi and known for its Rosso DOC and Torgiano Rosso Riserva DOCG. Founded in 1974 and housed in the seventeenth-century Palazzo Graziani-Baglioni, in the rooms once used for the storage of agricultural products, it is considered one of the most important museums in the sector in Italy.
Hypogeum of the Volumnus family
20.16km from Monte Subasio
The Hypogeum of the Volumni is an Etruscan hypogeum of uncertain dating but attributable to the second half of the 2nd century BC . The hypogeum is located 5 km southeast from the center of Perugia , in via Assisana, Ponte San Giovanni. It was the tomb of the family of Arunte Volumnio, of the gens Volumnia , an ancient patrician family. According to the oldest sarcophagi, the tomb could be dated to the second half of the second century. It was now one of the main attractions in this area.
22.76km from Monte Subasio
The Monte Nerone is a mountain of Marche belonging to the chain Umbria-Marche Apennines, located in the towns of Apecchio, Cagli, and Piobbico, in the province of Pesaro and Urbino, which reaches the height of 1525 m s.lm with a vertical drop of 1200 m from the valley floor. Located just north of the Monte Catria group which together give their name to the Mountain Community of Catria and Nerone, while to the north begins the territory covered by the Tuscan-Romagnolo Apennines.
Map of attractions near Monte Subasio
Hotels near Monte Subasio
Hotels to stay near Monte Subasio
Know more about Monte Subasio
Monte Subasio, 06081 Assisi, Province of Perugia, Italy
The Subasio is a mountain dell ' Umbria-Marche Apennines, high 1,290 m above sea level, located in Umbria, in the province of Perugia. On its western slopes rise the cities of Assisi and Spello; to the south, one of its borders falls within the territory of Foligno; to the east it is included in the territories of Valtopina and Nocera Umbra; to the north, a system of short ridges dependent on it insists on the territories of Gualdo Tadino, Gubbio and Valfabbrica.