20 Attractions to Explore Near Piazza Marina
Top Trips and Tours in Italy
Tours and activities in Italy that might be of interest to you
All attractions near Piazza Marina
0.23km from Piazza Marina
Palazzo Abatellis is an ancient noble palace located in Palermo via Alloro, the main artery of the Kalsa district. It has been the seat of the Regional Gallery of Sicily since 1954. It was an example of Gothic-Catalan architecture, which was designed in the 15th century by Matteo Carnelivari, at the time working in Palermo at the palazzo Aiutamicristo. It was the residence of Francesco Abatellis, port master of the Kingdom of Sicily.
0.43km from Piazza Marina
La Vucciria is a well-known historical market in Palermo , together with others called Ballarò , Il Capo , Mercato delle Pulci and Lattarini. It extends between via Roma , La Cala , the Cassaro , along via Cassari, piazza del Garraffello, via Argenteria nuova, piazza Caracciolo and via Maccheronai, within the Castellammare district . Within the market area there are noble palaces and works of art such as Palazzo Mazzarino, which belonged to the family of the famous cardinal.
Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio
0.57km from Piazza Marina
Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio is a sacred site in the center of Palermo. The church was commissioned in 1143 by George of Antioch, the admiral of Norman King of Sicily, Roger II. The church is characterized by the multiplicity of styles that meet, because, with the succession of centuries, it was enriched by various other tastes in art, architecture, and culture. Today, it is, in fact, as a church-historical monument, the result of multiple transformations, also subject to protection.
0.6km from Piazza Marina
Piazza Pretoria, also known as Piazza Della Vergogna, is located on the edge of the Kalsa district, near the corner of Cassaro with Via Maqueda, a few meters from the Quattro Canti, the exact center of the historic city of Palermo. At the center of the square is the Pretoria Fountain, the work of Francesco Camilliani built-in 1554, which, occupying a large part of its extension, strongly characterizes the Piano Pretorio. It was one of the iconic places in this area and it attracts a lot of tou
0.6km from Piazza Marina
The Pretoria fountain was built in 1554 by Francesco Camilliani in Florence, but in 1581 it was moved to Piazza Pretoria in Palermo. Initially placed in the garden of the Florentine palace of the brother of the Grand Duchess Eleonora of Toledo, thanks to the intervention of her brother Don Garçia, the first viceroy of Sicily and governor of Palermo, it was put up for sale for the Senate of Palermo. Purchased from the rich city of Palermo, then dismantled and shipped, twenty years later, to Paler
Church of San Cataldo
0.61km from Piazza Marina
The cathedral of San Cataldo is a church of Taranto, precisely the oldest cathedral in Puglia , initially dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene then to St. Cataldo bishop. The proposal to recognize in the succorpo the remains of the early Christian church dedicated to Santa Maria dates back to the Fago, whose existence in the seventh century was confirmed by a letter from Pope Gregory. It was built by the Byzantines in the second half of the 10th century, during the reconstruction of the city commiss
Piazza Quattro Canti - Palermo
0.65km from Piazza Marina
Quattro Canti is the name of an octagonal square at the intersection of the two main roads in Palermo: Via Maqueda and Cassaro, today Via Vittorio Emanuele, about half of their length. The piazza is octagonal, four sides being the streets; the remaining four sides are Baroque buildings, the near-identical facades of which contain fountains with statues of the four seasons, the four Spanish kings of Sicily, and of the patronesses of Palermo.
Regional Archeological Museum Antonio Salinas
0.84km from Piazza Marina
The "Antonino Salinas" Regional Archaeological Museum is a museum based in Palermo. It has one of the richest collections of archaeological d ' Italy and testimonies of Sicilian history in all its stages, ranging from prehistory to the Middle Ages. Inside are preserved the finds and artifacts of the peoples who determined the history of the island: Phoenicians, Punic, Greeks, Romans, and Byzantines, but also artifacts from other peoples such as the Egyptians and the Etruscans.
1.06km from Piazza Marina
Teatro Massimo, in Palermo, is the largest opera house in Italy, one of the largest in Europe and third in terms of architectural magnitude after the Opéra National in Paris and the Staatsoper of Vienna. Representative rooms, halls, galleries, and monumental stairways surround the actual theater, forming an architectural complex of enormous proportions.
Cattedrale di Palermo
1.15km from Piazza Marina
The Primatial Metropolitan Cathedral Basilica of the Holy Virgin Mary of the Assumption , known simply as the Cathedral Church of Palermo , is the main place of Catholic worship in the city of Palermo and the archbishopric of the homonymous metropolitan archdiocese. A feast of geometric patterns, ziggurat crenellations, maiolica cupolas and blind arches, Palermo's cathedral has suffered aesthetically from multiple reworkings over the centuries, but remains a prime example of Sicily's unique Ara
Mercato del Capo
1.32km from Piazza Marina
Il Capo is an ancient and well-known district in the historic center of Palermo ; with the same term the people of Palermo also indicate the market held there and with which the neighborhood identifies itself. The Capo market, together with the other Palermo markets such as Ballarò , La Vucciria , Lattarini and the Flea Market , is an important retail agri-food outlet.
1.47km from Piazza Marina
The Palatine Chapel is the royal chapel of the Norman palace in Palermo, Sicily. This building is a mixture of Byzantine, Norman, and Fatimid architectural styles, showing the tricultural state of Sicily during the 12th century after Roger II's father and uncle conquered the island. Also referred to as a Palace church or Palace chapel, it was commissioned by Roger II of Sicily in 1132 to be built upon an older chapel constructed around 1080.
San Giovanni degli Eremiti
1.48km from Piazza Marina
The church of San Giovanni Degli Eremiti is a national monument located in the historic center of Palermo, near the Norman Palace. The church is built according to the canons of Sicilian-Norman architecture; it is a Romanesque church and externally resembles oriental buildings. This reference to the East is even more emphasized by the bright red domes, restored in the nineteenth century by the architect Giuseppe Patricolo, according to an interpretation of the original color based on ancient tr
1.5km from Piazza Marina
The Norman Palace, also known as the Royal Palace, is located in Palermo and is currently the seat of the Sicilian Regional Assembly. The palace is the oldest royal residence in Europe, home to the kings of the Kingdom of Sicily, the imperial seat with Frederick II and Conrad IV and the historic Sicilian Parliament. On the first floor of the building stands the Palatine Chapel. The west wing is assigned to the Italian Army. It is one of the most visited monuments on the island.
Castello della Zisa
2.42km from Piazza Marina
Zisa Castle was built in the 12th century by Arab craftsmen as a summer retreat for King William I of Sicily. It's now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with handsome windows overlooking the gardens. The Zisa is clearly inspired by Moorish architecture. The name Zisa itself derives from the Arab term al-Azīz, meaning "dear" or "splendid". The same word, in Naskh script, is impressed in the entrance, according to the usual habit for the main Islamic edifices of the time.
Catacombe dei Cappuccini
2.64km from Piazza Marina
The Catacombe dei Cappuccini is a complex of tunnels and shrines in Palermo, Sicily that is decorated entirely with mummified corpses. Today they provide a somewhat macabre tourist attraction as well as an extraordinary historical record. The catacombs contain about 8000 corpses and 1252 mummies that line the walls. It will be a unique experience visiting this place.
6.14km from Piazza Marina
Mount Pellegrino is a 606 meters high hill offering panoramic views of Palermo city, its surrounding mountains and the Tyrrhenian Sea. It is located in Palermo city in Sicily, southern Italy. Mount Pellegrino towers over the western side of the bay of Palermo, isolated from all the other mountains that surround the city.
Cattedrale di Monreale
7.73km from Piazza Marina
The cathedral of Santa Maria Nuova is the main place of Catholic worship in Monreale, in the metropolitan city of Palermo, the archbishopric of the archdiocese of the same name. Built starting from 1174 at the behest of William II of Altavilla, king of Sicily from 1166 to 1189, it is famous for the rich Byzantine mosaics that decorate the interior. In August 1926, Pope Pius XI elevated it to the dignity of a minor basilica.
9.87km from Piazza Marina
Mondello is a district and tourist resort of Palermo which is part of the VII District , enclosed by Monte Pellegrino and Monte Gallo. The area is famous for its beach, which is one of the most coveted beaches of Sicily , for its many villas in the style Art Nouveau , known as the best expression of ' Art Nouveau in Italy, and the historical sites. It is home to the World Festival on the Beach .
Capo Gallo Reserve
12.7km from Piazza Marina
The Capo Gallo nature reserve is a protected natural area located in the municipality of Palermo and was established by the Sicilian Region in 2001 . It is included in the Regional Plan of Parks and Reserves and is managed by the State Forests of the Sicilian Region, which has carried out numerous interventions aimed at recreating the original environmental conditions of the territory and making it accessible to the public.
Map of attractions near Piazza Marina
Hotels near Piazza Marina
Hotels to stay near Piazza Marina
Know more about Piazza Marina
Piazza Marina, 90133 Palermo PA, Italy
Piazza Marina is a square in the historic center of Palermo located in the Kalsa or Mandamento Tribunali district. In the center of the square is the Villa Garibaldi designed by the architect Giovan Battista Filippo Basile in 1863. The square, until the Middle Ages , was a swamp connected with the city port of Cala . In the fourteenth century , during the Angevin domination , reclamation works were carried out. The square is also characterized by the numerous historic buildings that surround it