Piazza Caracciolo, 90133 Palermo PA, Italy
La Vucciria is a well-known historical market in Palermo , together with others called Ballarò , Il Capo , Mercato delle Pulci and Lattarini. It extends between via Roma , La Cala , the Cassaro , along via Cassari, piazza del Garraffello, via Argenteria nuova, piazza Caracciolo and via Maccheronai, within the Castellammare district . Within the market area there are noble palaces and works of art such as Palazzo Mazzarino, which belonged to the family of the famous cardinal.
Attractions near Vucciria
Piazza Pretoria, also known as Piazza Della Vergogna, is located on the edge of the Kalsa district, near the corner of Cassaro with Via Maqueda, a few meters from the Quattro Canti, the exact center of the historic city of Palermo. At the center of the square is the Pretoria Fountain, the work of Francesco Camilliani built-in 1554, which, occupying a large part of its extension, strongly characterizes the Piano Pretorio. It was one of the iconic places in this area and it attracts a lot of tou
The Pretoria fountain was built in 1554 by Francesco Camilliani in Florence, but in 1581 it was moved to Piazza Pretoria in Palermo. Initially placed in the garden of the Florentine palace of the brother of the Grand Duchess Eleonora of Toledo, thanks to the intervention of her brother Don Garçia, the first viceroy of Sicily and governor of Palermo, it was put up for sale for the Senate of Palermo. Purchased from the rich city of Palermo, then dismantled and shipped, twenty years later, to Paler
Quattro Canti is the name of an octagonal square at the intersection of the two main roads in Palermo: Via Maqueda and Cassaro, today Via Vittorio Emanuele, about half of their length. The piazza is octagonal, four sides being the streets; the remaining four sides are Baroque buildings, the near-identical facades of which contain fountains with statues of the four seasons, the four Spanish kings of Sicily, and of the patronesses of Palermo.
Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio is a sacred site in the center of Palermo. The church was commissioned in 1143 by George of Antioch, the admiral of Norman King of Sicily, Roger II. The church is characterized by the multiplicity of styles that meet, because, with the succession of centuries, it was enriched by various other tastes in art, architecture, and culture. Today, it is, in fact, as a church-historical monument, the result of multiple transformations, also subject to protection.
The cathedral of San Cataldo is a church of Taranto, precisely the oldest cathedral in Puglia , initially dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene then to St. Cataldo bishop. The proposal to recognize in the succorpo the remains of the early Christian church dedicated to Santa Maria dates back to the Fago, whose existence in the seventh century was confirmed by a letter from Pope Gregory. It was built by the Byzantines in the second half of the 10th century, during the reconstruction of the city commiss
Piazza Marina is a square in the historic center of Palermo located in the Kalsa or Mandamento Tribunali district. In the center of the square is the Villa Garibaldi designed by the architect Giovan Battista Filippo Basile in 1863. The square, until the Middle Ages , was a swamp connected with the city port of Cala . In the fourteenth century , during the Angevin domination , reclamation works were carried out. The square is also characterized by the numerous historic buildings that surround it
Where is Vucciria
Discover more attractions in Sicily, where Vucciria is located
Sicily is the biggest island in Italy and in the Mediterranean Sea, an amazing land rich in history and traditions, where art and culture intertwine with wonderful natural beauties. From the sea to the mountains and countryside, from the volcanos to the fishing villages, there are really many reasons why to visit Sicily. As Frederick II, King of Sicily, once said: “I don't envy God's paradise, because I'm well satisfied to live in Sicily”.