Get Travalour for free on Google Play

Attractions to explore nearby Sanssouci Palace

Sanssouci PalaceMaulbeerallee, 14469 Potsdam, Germany

Sanssouci was the summer palace of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia. The palace's name emphasizes this; it is a French phrase (sans Souci), which translates as "without concerns", meaning "without worries" or "carefree", symbolizing that the palace was a place for relaxation rather than a seat of power.

Nearby Attractions

Nauener Tor1.32 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Nauener Gate or Nauener Tor is one of three preserved gates built in 1755 in Potsdam, Germany. It is the first example of the influence of English Gothic Revival architecture in Continental Europe. The first Nauener Tor was built around 1720 about 400 metres away from the current site. The second gate was built in 1733 at the current site. In 1755 the gate was rebuilt in its current form. Today the three gates are connected by a promenade.

Katholische Pfarrkirche St. Peter und Paul1.48 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

The Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter is located in the center of Potsdam. The current church building was built in 1870 and served both the Potsdam parishioners and the Catholic soldiers stationed in the city.

Dutch Quarter1.54 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Holländisches Viertel or the Dutch Quarter is a neighborhood in Potsdam that includes 134 of red Dutch brick buildings; unplastered, with white seams, shuttered windows, and sometimes, sweeping gables. It was built in 1740 for Dutch craftsmen who were invited to come to Potsdam by King Frederick Wilhelm I.

New Palace1.56 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

The New Palace is situated on the Sanssouci park's western side in Potsdam, Germany. It was built in 1769 and considered to be the last grand Prussian baroque palace. The palace was built in varying forms of Baroque architecture and decoration. The building of the palace commenced in 1763, at the end of the Seven Years' War, to celebrate Prussia’s success.

Museum Barberini1.88 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Museum Barberini, located in Potsdam, Germany, exhibits a wide range of works from the Old Masters to contemporary art, emphasizing impressionist painting. The museum was founded in 2017 by Hasso Plattner, and the exhibition is centered around works from his collection.

Belvedere Castle on the Pfingstberg2.14 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

The Belvedere on the Pfingstberg is a large building north from the New Garden, Potsdam. It was built in 1863 as a viewing platform, on the summit of Pfingstberg hill.

New Garden2.18 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

The New Garden is a park in Potsdam with 102.5 hectares located south-west Berlin, Germany. Starting in 1787, Frederick William II arranged to have a new garden in this location and later, and it came to be known by this rather prosaic name. The New Garden is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1990. Cecilienhof Palace is located in the northern part of the New Garden.

Cecilienhof Palace2.76 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Cecilienhof Palace is located in Potsdam, Germany, built in 1917 in an English Tudor manor house's layout. Cecilienhof was the last palace established by the House of Hohenzollern that ruled the Prussia Kingdom and the German Empire until World War I. Cecilienhof Palace was the location of the Potsdam Conference in 1945, in which the leaders of the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom and the United States made important decisions affecting the shape of post World War II Europe and Asia.

Glienicke Bridge3.69 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

The Glienicke Bridge stands across the Havel River in Germany, connecting Berlin with Potsdam. It is named after nearby Glienicke Palace. The current bridge, the fourth on the site, was completed in 1907. During the Cold War, this portion of the Havel River formed the border between West Berlin and East Germany. The bridge was used several times for the exchange of captured spies and thus became known as the Bridge of Spies.

Babelsberg Park3.74 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

This 114-hectare park is located in the north-east of Potsdam, bordering on the Tiefen See lake on the River Havel. It was declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1990. The park was created in rolling terrain sloping down towards the lake.

Babelsberg Palace3.74 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Babelsberg Palace is located in the eponymous park in Potsdam. For more than 50 years, it was the summer residence for royals. It was placed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1990. The building, designed in the English Gothic revival style, was built in two phases over the period 1835–1849.

Studio Babelsberg5.86 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Babelsberg Film Studio is located in Potsdam-Babelsberg. It is the oldest large-scale film studio in the world, producing films since 1912. It is Europe's largest film studio and has around 460,000 square meters of total area and about 25,000 square meters of studio area. At present, Studio Babelsberg operates mainly for feature film productions. Furthermore, it acts as a co-producer on international high budget productions.

Museum Village Düppel13.52 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Museum Village Düppel (Museumsdorf Düppel) is an open air museum presenting a reconstruction of an 800 year old village. The site of the formal settlement where the museum stands is now reconstructed with residences, storehouses, workshops, wells, fields and gardens. Uncoverd in 1967, it is estimated that the former settlement dates back to 1200 and was in use for 30 years.

Olympisches Dorf14.86 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

The Olympics Dorf was built to house all participating athletes, officials, trainers, and other workers in the 1936 Summer Olympics, officially known as the XI Olympiad Games. It was held in Berlin, about 4000 people from 50 nationalities lived in this Olympic Village during the games.

Brücke Museum17.45 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Brücke Museum houses the world's largest collection of works by memberso the "Die Brücke(The Bridge)", an early 20th century German expressionist movement. The museum features paitings, sculptures, several thousand drawings, watercolors and prints.

Beelitz-Heilstätten17.76 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Beelitz-Heilstätten is home to a large hospital complex of about 60 buildings, including a cogeneration plant built-in 1898. The place served as a military hospital of the Imperial German Army in World War I. Today, a few small sections of the enormous hospital are used for neurological rehabilitation and Parkinson’s research. The majority of the complex, including the surgery ward, the psychiatric ward, and a rifle range, have all been abandoned and left to decay back into the surrounding fores

Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum18.95 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

The complex consists of several buildings and glass-houses which features a collection of orchids, carnivorous plants and giant white water lily. The best-known part of the garden is the Great Pavilion (Großes Tropenhaus). The temperature inside is maintained at 30 °C and air humidity is kept high. Among the many tropical plants it hosts a giant bamboo.

Charlottenburg Palace21.72 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

The palace was built at the end of the 17th century and was greatly expanded during the 18th century. It includes much lavish internal decoration in baroque and rococo styles.

Zoo Berlin23.33 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Oldest and best-known zoo in Germany. It covers 35 hectares (86.5 acres) and has about 1,380 different species and over 20,200 animals, presenting one of the most comprehensive collections of species in the world. It is the most-visited zoo in Europe and one of the most popular worldwide. Regular animal feedings are among its most famous attractions.

Victory Column24.42 KMs away from Sanssouci Palace

Designed after 1864 to commemorate the Prussian victory in the Danish-Prussian War. When it was inaugurated on 2 September 1873, Prussia had also defeated Austria and its German allies in the Austro-Prussian War (1866) and France in the Franco-Prussian War (1870–71), giving the statue a new purpose. These later victories inspired the addition of the bronze sculpture of Victoria, 8.3 metres (27 ft) high and weighing 35 tonnes.