53 Man-made Structures- Other to explore in Switzerland
Switzerland is one of the most developed countries in the world, with the highest nominal wealth per adult and the eighth-highest per capita GDP. It ranks at or near the top in several international metrics, including economic competitiveness and human development.
The Abbey Library of Saint Gall is a significant medieval monastic library located in St. Gallen, Switzerland. In 1983, the library, as well as the Abbey of St. Gall, were designated a World Heritage Site, as “an outstanding example of a large Carolingian monastery and was, since the 8th century until its secularisation in 1805, one of the most important cultural centers in Europe”.
Alp Grüm railway station is a railway station in the municipality of Poschiavo, in the Swiss canton of Graubünden. It is located on the south side of Bernina Pass, on the Bernina line of the Rhaetian Railway. It serves the hamlet of Alp Grüm, which, except in summer, is accessible only from the railway. From the station, thanks mainly to the 180° curve immediately to the south, there are far-reaching views of the Palü Glacier, Lago Palu and the Puschlav.
The Andermatt-Sedrun Sports AG, a subsidiary of Andermatt Swiss Alps AG, operates the ski areas Gemsstock, Nätschen-Gütsch-Schneehüenerstock and Sedrun-Oberalp under the name SkiArena Andermatt-Sedrun. With 120 kilometers of slopes, this is the largest ski area in Central Switzerland.
The Altberg observation tower is a 30 meter high observation tower on the Altberg in the municipality of Dänikon in the canton of Zurich in Switzerland. It is one of the youngest observation towers in the Canton of Zurich. A display next to the tower lists all donors from 100 francs. There is also a small plaque above every step of the stairs to mention all donations of CHF 500.
The Klingental exhibition space creates a platform for engaging with the current work of the artists living in Basel. We present, question and comment on your artistic research for the attention of the interested public. We understand the Klingental exhibition space as a place of encounter and hospitality between contemporary art and the public. Experimental handling of different communication formats is an important part of cross-city projects such as the Museum Night and the Regional.
The Bains des Pâquis are a public bathhouse located on the pier on the right bank of Lake Geneva and protecting the harbor of Geneva, at the level of the Pâquis district. They house the headquarters of the Association of Users of Bains des Pâquis and Sauvetage de Genève. They are open all year round. It an artificial peninsula surrounded by a lively beach that jets into the lake near Pâquis district. Its scenery is unmistakable due to the lighthouse at the end.
The Bernina railway is a single-track 1,000 mm metre gauge railway line forming part of the Rhaetian Railway. It links the spa resort of St. Moritz, in the Canton of Graubünden, Switzerland, with the town of Tirano, in the Province of Sondrio, Italy, via the Bernina Pass. Reaching a height of 2,253 metres above sea level, it is the highest railway crossing in Europe and the third highest railway in Switzerland.
The Beznau nuclear power plant (NPP) in Döttingen, Aargau, Switzerland, is Europe’s oldest operating NPP. It is also one of the three nuclear power facilities in the world that completed 50 years of commercial operations in 2019. Owned and operated by Swiss public utility Axpo Holdings.
Broken Chair is the work of sculptor Daniel Berset. It was made in 1997 for the NGO Handicap International. Made out of 5.5 tonnes of wood and standing at a height of 12 meters, this impressive work of art has been dominating the Place des Nations since 1997. Its message is simple: remember the victims of landmines, urge your government to promote a ban on landmines. It is one of the famous attractions in this area.
The Bürgenstock Funicular is a funicular railway in the canton of Nidwalden, Switzerland. The line links the landing stage at Kehrsiten-Bürgenstock, served by the regular passenger boats of the Schifffahrtsgesellschaft des Vierwaldstättersees, with the Bürgenstock resort and its famous hotels. The funicular was opened in 1888 and was originally a water-ballast funicular with an Abt rack braking rail. The funicular is electric and automatic, but until the closure in 2011, it still used the origin
Bürkliplatz is a town square in Zürich, Switzerland. It is named after Arnold Bürkli and is one of the nodal points of the road and public transportation, and of the lakeshore promenades that were built between 1881 and 1887. The tree-shaded square between Bahnhofstrasse and Fraumünsterstrasse is called Stadthausanlage.
The Cimetière des Rois is a cemetery in Geneva, Switzerland, where John Calvin (the Protestant reformer), Jorge Luis Borges (the Argentine author), Sérgio Vieira de Mello (the former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights), Ernest Ansermet (renowned Swiss conductor), and Jean Piaget (the noted developmental psychologist and epistemologist) are buried. There are also so many famous persons are buried here.
Diavolezza is famous for its beautiful views of the eternal ice and the highest peaks of the Eastern Alps. The Diavolezza is a mountain viewpoint above the Val Bernina in Graubünden. It has an altitude of 2,973 metres and is located between Munt Pers and Piz Trovat. At the top station, there is a restaurant with a panoramic terrace, as well as a hotel offering both hotel-class and bunk-style accommodations.
The Weissenstein Planet Trail is an educational trail in the canton of Solothurn in Switzerland. It leads on the southeastern mountain range of the Jura from the Weissenstein to the Stallflue belonging to the Grenchenberg . The planet route is an experience for the entire family. Each kilometre of the hike corresponds to one billion kilometres in the solar system, providing a glimpse of the infinitely vast cosmic dimensions. Information sign posts convey the most important characteristics for th
The Monte Generoso railway or Ferrovia Monte Generoso is a mountain railway line in the Italian-speaking canton of Ticino, in south-east Switzerland. The line runs from Capolago, on Lake Lugano, to a terminus near the summit of Monte Generoso. It is the highest railway in Ticino. The summit offers extensive views over the Lombardy Plain, part of the Po Valley, and towards the Alps. Whilst the railway lies entirely within Switzerland, the summit station is only a few metres from the international
The base Furka Tunnel goes from Realp in Canton Uri to Oberwald in Canton Valais. The car train is convenient, and the trip through the 15.4 km tunnel takes 15 minutes. In the middle of the base tunnel, is a 5,221-meter long access tunnel to Bedretto in the canton of Ticino. some proponents of the project hoped to eventually build a Y-shaped tunnel connecting all 3 locations.
Located at the famous CERN nuclear research center near Geneva, the Globe of Science and Innovation is a very peculiar science museum. The Globe is aimed to be “a gateway between science, culture, education, and society, promoting the dissemination of scientific information among all types of the audience”.
The Gornergrat Railway is a mountain rack railway, located in the Swiss canton of Valais. It links the resort village of Zermatt, situated at 1,604 m above mean sea level, to the summit of the Gornergrat. The Gornergrat railway station is situated at an altitude of 3,089 m, which makes the Gornergrat Railway the second highest railway in Europe after the Jungfrau, and the highest open-air railway on the continent. The line opened in 1898 and was the first electric rack railway to be built in Swi
The Gotthard Road Tunnel in Switzerland runs from Göschenen in the canton of Uri at its northern portal, to Airolo in Ticino to the south, and is 16.9 kilometers in length below the St Gotthard Pass, a major pass of the Alps. At the time of construction, in 1980, it was the longest road tunnel in the world. It is currently the ninth longest one.
Hauterive Abbey is the oldest working Romanesque abbey. It is possible to visit the Romanesque church with its Gothic choir. Exceptional stalls provide seating for the monks. The abbey's history began in 1131, at an isolated site, when a local nobleman donated his lands to build a monastery. The church, built between 1150 and 1160, is a fine example of medieval architecture. It has a Romanesque structure and a Gothic choir.