37 Churches to explore in United States
Third largest and third most populous country in the world. Size-wise, it is almost as large as the continent of Europe.
It is the spiritual home of the largest Eastern Orthodox parish in Houston, Texas. The church was the seat of the Bishop of the 8th Diocesan District of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America. Daily a lot of people visits this place and is one of the famous places in Houston.
The Chapel of the Holy Cross was built in 1956. The chapel was inspired and commissioned by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, sculptor Marguerite Brunswig Staude, who worked with project architect Richard Hein and architect August K. Strotz to complete this noteworthy and award-winning chapel.
The Circular Congregational Church is a historic church at 150 Meeting Street in Charleston, South Carolina, United States, used by a congregation established in 1681. Its parish house, the Parish House of the Circular Congregational Church, is a highly significant Greek Revival architectural work by Robert Mills, and is recognized as a U.S. National Historic Landmark.
Faith Chapel is a historic chapel on Old Plantation Road in Jekyll Island, Georgia and was built in 1904. It was used as a non-denominational chapel until 1942. The interior and exterior walls are shingled, with gargoyles that are replicas of the ones at Notre Dame Cathedral. The chapel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and it is open to the public.
The James Petigru Boyce Chapel is a historic church building at 1306 Hampton Street in Columbia, South Carolina. It is a Greek Revival building built in 1859. A convention met here on December 17, 1860, whose delegates voted unanimously for South Carolina to secede from the United States, leading to the American Civil War. It was designated a National Historic Landmark as First Baptist Church, the role it played at the time.
This is a huge church of Christianity. It is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Reno.It was used as a Catholic church as late as 2004 when construction on a larger building was completed and the parish moved to current location. Daily a lot of people visits this place and is a calm and quiet surrounding.
The first Christian church built on Oahu. The is made of 14,000 coral slabs from ocean reefs that were hauled from the sea by native laborers and missionaries. The church and the grounds were named a National Historic Landmark in 1962. Now it is also a popular tourist destination in Honolulu county.
Located on the Main Quad at the center of the Stanford University campus, it was built during the American Renaissance by Jane Stanford as a memorial to her husband Leland. The church has been called "the University's architectural crown jewel". The church's chaplains were instrumental in the founding of Stanford's religious studies department.
Mission San Juan Capistrano originally founded in 1716 in eastern Texas, Mission San Juan was transferred in 1731 to its present location. In 1756, the stone church, a friary, and a granary were completed. A larger church was begun but was abandoned when half complete, the result of population decline.
Mission San Luis de Apalachee was a Spanish Franciscan mission built in 1633 in the Florida Panhandle. The mission was part of Spain's effort to colonize the Florida Peninsula and to convert the Timucuan and Apalachee Indians to Christianity. The mission lasted until 1704 when it was evacuated and destroyed to prevent its use by an approaching militia of Creek Indians and South Carolinians.
Oakland Cemetery is one of the largest cemetery green spaces, in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. Founded as Atlanta Cemetery in 1850 on six acres (2.4 hectares) of land southeast of the city, it was renamed in 1872 to reflect the large number of oak and magnolia trees growing in the area.
It was built by Jesuit priests and its first service was on December 2, 1900, in Augusta, Georgia.The Sacred Heart Cultural Center, known also as Sacred Heart Catholic Church, is an events center and a former Roman Catholic Church. It is also one of the more notable and recognized landmarks in the city.