Top 71 attractions to explore in Angus Council
Angus is one of the 32 local government council areas of Scotland, a registration county and a lieutenancy area. The council area borders Aberdeenshire, Dundee City and Perth and Kinross. Main industries include agriculture and fishing. Global pharmaceuticals company GSK has a significant presence in Montrose in the north of the county.
The Aberlemno Sculptured Stones are a series of five Class I and II Early Medieval standing stones found in and around the village of Aberlemno, Angus, Scotland.The stones show a range of characteristic Pictish symbols. The stone in the churchyard is an upright cross slab made of red sandstone and is over 2 metres tall. This is one of few Pictish stones which depict a battle scene and has been interpreted as representing the Battle of Dunnichen in 685AD.
A fine exmaple of a late 15th century tower-house on the L-plan. It contains four storeys and a garret; the walls are of coursed rubble. The ashlar corbelled parapet and angle turrets are of 16th c date, as are the crow-stepped gables and chimney stacks. The castle was built on the lands of the Auchenlecks of that Ilk. In the early 18th century it belonged to a family of Reids, who forfeited the castle in 1746 because of their activities as Jacobites. It has not been occupied since 1760, when a
A majestic monument which was erected in memory of the11th Earl of Airlie who was killed in the Boer War on 11th June 1900. The ceremony of laying the memorial stone took place on 2nd September 1901. It is 65 feet high and is 1230 feet above sea level. It is an important landmark and a focal point for the community of Glen Clova, Glen Prosen, Cortachy and the surrounding area – indeed so prominent that it can be seen for many miles around.
Auldbar Castle, was a 16th-century tower house, located 2 miles southwest of Brechin, in Angus, Scotland. IT was owned by the Crammond family since the 13th century before it was sold to John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis in 1575. His son Sir Thomas Lyon served as Treasurer of Scotland from 1585 to 1595, and built the castle in the later 16th century. The property was subsequently owned by the Sinclair family, and then the Young family
Arbroath Abbey, in the Scottish town of Arbroath, was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion for a group of Tironensian Benedictine monks from Kelso Abbey. It was consecrated in 1197 with a dedication to the deceased Saint Thomas Becket, whom the king had met at the English court. It was William's only personal foundation — he was buried before the high altar of the church in 1214. The Abbey is cared for by Historic Environment Scotland and is open to the public throughout the year. The distin
The Arbroath cliffs are made up of river-lain sandstones and conglomerates (petrified gravel) of two different ages – 410 million years old and 370 million years old. It also offers a beautiful walk through the bay and enjoy the sound and smell of the sea and walk off the chips.
Auchintaple Loch also known as Auchenchapel Loch, is a small shallow freshwater loch that is located in Glen Isla in Angus, Scotland. The loch is man-made, created by the Victorians so they could go trout fishing. Hidden in the landscape of Glen Isla, the loch measures 1.59km in length.
Backwater Reservoir is a reservoir in north west Angus, Scotland. The project was initiated by the Dundee Corporation Waterworks in 1964 and absorbed into the newly created East of Scotland Water Board in 1968, before final completion and the official opening by Queen Elizabeth II on 9 October 1969. It links with Lintrathen Reservoir, 2½ miles to the south, and supplies water to almost 300,000 people in Dundee, the towns of Angus as well as Coupar Angus, Blairgowrie and the Carse of Gowrie.
A beautiful loch which was surrounded by reedbeds and willow carr, attracting water rail, great crested grebe and a number of wintering wildfowl, including goldeneye, teal and wigeon. The reserve is also a haven for red squirrel. One of the iconic location for a picnic and also this place will rejuvinatre your mind with its outstanding beauty.
Balintore Castle is an A-listed shooting lodge in a remote highland glen, now undergoing restoration after 50 years of dereliction. This beautiful castle occupies an elevated site in moorland above Balintore village, a few miles north of the Loch of Lintrathen, near Kirriemuir, Angus. A tower house named Balintor existed on the site in the late 16th century, according to Timothy Pont's maps.
Brechin Castle is a castle in Brechin, Angus, Scotland. The castle was constructed in stone during the 13th century. Most of the current building dates to the early 18th century, when extensive reconstruction was carried out by architect Alexander Edward for James Maule, 4th Earl of Panmure, between approximately 1696 and 1709. They have fairy trails, zip slide, maze, go karts, water play and more. They also have a separate yard just off the play area for play tractors and sand pits.
A majestic cathedral,which was the mother church of the provinces of Angus and Mearns, a centre from which the Culdee monks went out to minister to the local communities. It is in the Pointed style, but suffered maltreatment in 1806 at the hands of restorers, whose work was subsequently removed during the restoration completed in 1902. The western gable with its flamboyant window, Gothic door and massive square tower, parts of the choir, and the nave pillars and clerestory are all that is left
Brechin Town House Museum is located within a historic municipal building, constructed around 1789-90, in the centre of the Cathedral City of Brechin.It gives visitors the chance to explore the history of the city and its people, with a rich collection of objects, photographs, archival material and ephemera.
Broad Cairn is a rocky Munro summit above Loch Muick in Royal Deeside. Sitting above undulating grassy plains and amongst other Munro peaks, the descent down Broad Cairn's boulderfield will test tired legs.The summit can be reached from many starting points which will be described later but the route I have chosen is from car park at the end of Glen Muick from Ballater.
Cairngorms National Park is located in northeast Scotland. The park has a large upland plateau, and is categorised as a “protected landscape” which allows for limited development within its borders.The park is home to reindeer, ospreys, eagles, wildcats, red squirrels, and boasts an extensive array of activities that range from hiking, skiing, and traditional villages
An entirely volunteer run, award winning heritage railway that operates historic steam and diesel hauled trains along the 4 mile branch line between the town of Brechin and the countryside stop of Bridge of Dun. The railway runs a variety of weekly and themed events throughout the year. So sit back, relax and watch the world go by from the comfort of their heritage trains hauled by both steam and diesel locomotives.
This is a majestic castle built in 1553 with round towers at the angles, both of which were originally brought out to the square at the top by means of corbelling, but only one retains this feature. It now offers guests a fantastic adventure staying in this historic environment of turrets, towers and vaulted rooms but with the advantage of modern conveniences such as central heating, modern bathrooms and a newly installed eco rustic wooden barrelled hot tub, heated by a wood burning stove.
Corrie Fee is a glacier-carved corrie situated at the head of Glen Clova in the Angus Glens of Scotland. It forms part of Corrie Fee National Nature Reserve, which is managed by NatureScot and lies within the Cairngorms National Park. The adjoining Corrie Sharroch and the slopes of Craig Rennet are also included in the NNR.Corrie Fee is well known for the rare plants growing on its cliffs and in gullies, like Alpine blue-sowthistle. Mountain plants, such as purple saxifrage, yellow mountain saxi
Cortachy Castle consists of a much-altered and extended 15th-century courtyard castle, and is now a large and impressive baronial mansion with whitewashed walls and corbiestepped gables. Three of the round corner towers survive, as well as parts of the curtain wall built into later buildings. The main tower has been engulfed in the extensions. There are many alterations, inside and out, and a large later wing was demolished after World War II.
Map of attractions in Angus Council