Top 74 attractions to explore in Liguria
The Liguria region is a destination recommended both for those who like relaxation and for dynamic people: with its jagged land, its hills, peaks and cliff-hanging villages, is the ideal spot for hiking or bicycling, diving or paragliding, as well as visiting villages rich in history.
The Abbey of San Fruttuoso is located on the Italian Riviera between Camogli and Portofino. It is the seat of the Catholic parish with the same name of the Vicariate of Recco-Uscio-Camogli, Archdiocese of Genoa. The abbey is located in a small bay under a steep wooded hill. It can only be reached by sea or by footpaths, there is no road access.
The Alta Via dei Monti Liguri is an excursion itinerary about 440 km long that develops on the watershed delimiting the Ligurian coast. It was officially born in 1983 from a joint project of the Unioncamere Liguri Study Center, the Italian Alpine Club, and the Italian Hiking Federation. The Alta Via is protected by the regional law of 25 January 1993, n. 5 which has entrusted its management to a specially formed association of the same name.
The Aquarium of Genoa is an aquarium located in Ponte Spinola, in the sixteenth-century ancient port of Genoa. At the time of its inauguration, it was the largest in Europe and the second in the world. Owned by Porto Antico di Genova SpA and managed by Costa Edutainment SpA, it was inaugurated in 1992 on the occasion of the Colombiadi , the Expo celebrating the 500th anniversary of the discovery of America.
The Arroscia is a large stream in Liguria, about 36 km long, which flows in the provinces of Imperia and Savona. It was born in the Ligurian Alps in the province of Imperia from the Guardia Pass at over 2,000 meters above sea level, flowing very impetuously and encased, also forming a beautiful waterfall near Mendatica.
The Basilica Della Santissima Annunziata del Vastato is a Catholic cathedral in Genoa, northern Italy; its decoration employed the major Baroque studios and artists in Genoa in the 17th century. The facade of the church is its newest feature, dating from the mid-1800s. The clean white exterior gives no indication of the explosion of color and ornamentation you'll find when you walk inside. It was one of the main attractions in this area and also a tourist attraction too.
Bergeggi is an Italian town of 1 078 inhabitants in the province of Savona in Liguria. The historic village of Bergeggi is located near the coast of the Riviera delle Palme , at about 110 m above sea level, on the slopes of Mount Sant'Elena (347 m asl) where paths allow you to descend towards the promenade and then the coast.
The Bigo is an architectural structure present in the ancient port of Genoa. Designed by Renzo Piano for the Colombiadi in 1992, the name and design are inspired by the bigo , that is the crane used for loading and unloading in the naval environment. The Bigo has, in addition to an image function, also a structural function and a tourist one.
The Municipal Casino is one of the three Italian gambling houses. It is based in the city of Sanremo , in an Art Nouveau building designed by the French architect Eugène Ferret. The Casino was first born as a Kursaal, and initially its building held theatre programmes, concerts and eateries as well as serving as a meeting place for foreigners. From 1927 to 1934 the Casino was managed by Luigi De Santis who proved to be, among other things, a first-rate gamester for its knowledge of the game and
The castle Brown , formerly the castle of St. George , is a defensive and noble house building situated uphill to the castle in Portofino , the Tigullio. During excavations in the area where now stands the military fortress were discovered traces of an ancient tower of sighting the Roman era that historians have established between II and III century, its dating. The castle, located in a strategic position since it was possible to have a wide view over the village and the area.
The castle of Punta Pagana is located in the extreme point of the same name inside the private park of Villa Spinola, the latter residence of the Grand Master of the Order of Malta since 1959. The ancient seventeenth-century fortress is located in the administrative territory of Rapallo, west of San Michele di Pagana, along the geographical border with Santa Margherita Ligure.
The Castle of San Giorgio is an ancient Genoese fortification on the high ground of the city of La Spezia called "Colle del Poggio". The castle can be reached via XXVII Marzo which crosses what today remains of the belt of walls erected in the 14th century to defend the city. The castle retained its medieval structure until the mid-fifteenth century when the introduction of artillery imposed the construction of new thick walls, even if of lesser constructive accuracy, with a shoe profile and ch
The cathedral of San Lorenzo is the most important place of Catholic worship in the city of Genoa, the metropolitan cathedral of the homonymous archdiocese. It was consecrated to the saint on 10 October 1118 by Pope Gelasius II when only the altar and a surrounding area existed, reserved for prayer, but no elevated structure. During the twelfth century it was built, but still, in the third quarter of the century, it remained unfinished and without a proper facade.
The Fantiscritti quarries are white marble quarries located in the municipality of Carrara . The whole, now a museum, was created forty years ago by Walter Danesi. There is a railway station built for the line of the Carrara Private Marble Railway . It houses a "Museum of the quarries" and is often a stage and scenery for artists' exhibitions.
The Christ of the Abyss is a bronze statue placed in 1954 on the bottom of the bay of San Fruttuoso, between Camogli and Portofino within the Portofino Marine Protected Natural Area, at a depth of 17 meters. The dive to observe the statue is one of the most famous excursions of the Ligurian coast, and the Christ has become over the years the symbol of the passion for diving and the sea.
The house of Christopher Columbus in Genoa is the reconstruction of the building in which Christopher Columbus lived in his youth. Today used as a historic museum of the Municipality, the house is located a short distance from the Porta Soprana, just outside the ancient medieval walls. Historical documents have made it possible to ascertain that the navigator lived there in the lapse of time included - indicatively - between 1455 and 1470.
The Church of San Pietro is an ancient church dedicated to Saint Peter, built on a rocky edge in Portovenere, facing the beautiful Gulf of Poets. The original church was founded on the ancient remains of a pagan temple dedicated to the goddess Venus Erycina, and was consecrated in 1198. The black and white bands on the walls were added by the Genoese in the 13th century, presumably between 1256 and 1277.
Cinque Terre, which means Five Lands, comprises the five small coastal villages of Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso located in the Italian region of Liguria. They are listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The Cinque Terre area is a popular tourist destination. Over the centuries, people have built terraces on the rugged, steep landscape right up to the cliffs that overlook the Ligurian Sea.
The Cinque Terre National Park is a national park established in 1999 which is located in Liguria, in the province of La Spezia. It is the only institution in Italy aimed at the protection of an anthropized environment and provides, among other things, the safeguarding of the system of dry stone walls that support the cultivated terraces overlooking the sea and protects a coastal area where man has created a stable life of mutual coexistence between himself and nature.
The Melogno hill is a crossing of the Ligurian Alps located in the Province of Savona. It connects the city of Finale Ligure, in the western Ligurian Riviera, to the municipality of Calizzano in the Bormida valley, and then to Piedmont through the Val Tanaro. The pass is located on the main Alpine chain. On its north side, there are extensive beech woods, including the Barbottina state-owned forest, with centuries-old beech trees over 50 meters high. Beside the beech grow the birch, the Scots p
The Colle di Nava - simply said with Nava - is a crossing of the Ligurian Alps, located in the municipal territory Pornassio, province of Imperia, which connects the valley Arroscia and the Tanaro Valley. On the pass there is an inhabited center, Nava, divided into two hamlets, almost joined together: Colle di Nava - on the summit - and Case di Nava, 500 meters from the summit on the side of the Tanaro valley . 4 km from the summit, on the side of the Tanaro valley in Ponte di Nava, is the bord
Map of attractions in Liguria