Cattedrale di San Lorenzo
Piazza S. Lorenzo, 16123 Genova GE, Italy
About Cattedrale di San Lorenzo
The cathedral of San Lorenzo is the most important place of Catholic worship in the city of Genoa, the metropolitan cathedral of the homonymous archdiocese. It was consecrated to the saint on 10 October 1118 by Pope Gelasius II when only the altar and a surrounding area existed, reserved for prayer, but no elevated structure. During the twelfth century it was built, but still, in the third quarter of the century, it remained unfinished and without a proper facade.
Attractions near Cattedrale di San Lorenzo
Piazza De Ferrari is the main square in Genoa. Located in the heart of the city - and particularly in the ancient district of Portoria - it is the commercial hub, financial and economic, as well as being the main point of reference on the occasion of the most important events of the city life. It has an irregular shape, due to subsequent urban interventions, which resulted in the unification of two contiguous areas, urbanistically differentiated, as also highlighted by the different architectura
Palazzo San Giorgio, or Palazzo delle Compere di San Giorgio, is one of the most important and well-known historical buildings in Genoa. It currently houses the headquarters of the Port Authority of Genoa. The building, included in the Molo district, consists of two distinct parts: an older part, a typical example of medieval civil architecture, with the façade facing the Sottoripa portico, and a Renaissance one.
The Porta Soprana was one of the gateways to the city of Genoa. Among the main architectures, the medieval stone of Genoa is situated on the top of the Plan of Sant'Andrea, from which it takes its name. It was already one of the access gates to the city at the time of the second Genoese city walls; however, the current building - following the extensive restorations carried out under the direction of Alfredo D'Andrade - reproduces the appearance that the door must have had at the time of its re
The Palazzo Spinola di Pellicceria, also known as Palazzo Francesco Grimaldi, is a palace in Piazza di Pellicceria, Genoa, Italy. It currently houses an art gallery known as the National Gallery of Palazzo Spinola, and it is one of the 42 Palazzi dei Rolli listed by UNESCO as World Heritage Sites. It is a gallery with many frescos and painting collections, and it shows how the rooms were furnished and decorated back in the 16th century
The Bigo is an architectural structure present in the ancient port of Genoa. Designed by Renzo Piano for the Colombiadi in 1992, the name and design are inspired by the bigo , that is the crane used for loading and unloading in the naval environment. The Bigo has, in addition to an image function, also a structural function and a tourist one.
The house of Christopher Columbus in Genoa is the reconstruction of the building in which Christopher Columbus lived in his youth. Today used as a historic museum of the Municipality, the house is located a short distance from the Porta Soprana, just outside the ancient medieval walls. Historical documents have made it possible to ascertain that the navigator lived there in the lapse of time included - indicatively - between 1455 and 1470.
Where is Cattedrale di San Lorenzo
Discover more attractions in Liguria, where Cattedrale di San Lorenzo is located
The Liguria region is a destination recommended both for those who like relaxation and for dynamic people: with its jagged land, its hills, peaks and cliff-hanging villages, is the ideal spot for hiking or bicycling, diving or paragliding, as well as visiting villages rich in history.