Top 73 attractions to explore in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté
Bourgogne-Franche-Comté is a region of east-central France, created in 2016 through administrative reorganisation from Burgundy and Franche-Comté.It is well known for its rich history and diverse scenery, the region stretches from the rolling Burgundy wine country in the west, to the Jura mountains and Swiss border in the east.
The Benedictine Abbey of Cluny was founded in the 10th century. Over the centuries, its vast Abbey church extended its influence over the whole of Europe. The abbey was constructed in the Romanesque architectural style, with three churches built in succession from the 4th to the early 12th centuries. The earliest basilica was the world's largest church until St. Peter's Basilica construction began in Rome.
Founded in 1098 by Robert de Molesmes, the Abbey of Cîteaux is located in the Saône plain, in the heart of Burgundy. It is notable for being the original house of the Cistercian order. Today, it belongs to the Trappists. The abbey has about 35 members. The monks produce a cheese branded under the abbey's name, as well as caramels and honey-based candies.
This monastic complex, located outside the fortifications, was founded by Queen Clotilde in the 5th century. This monument is witness to sixteen centuries of the history of Auxerre. Although composite, it offers an architectural ensemble of great interest. The abbey church is Gothic in style. In the late twentieth century, the abbey's residential and service buildings were remodeled as a museum, presenting prehistoric, Gallo-Roman, and medieval finds from Auxerre.
One of the beautiful botanical gardens which stretching over 5.5 hectares, the Arquebuse serves as a botanical garden, arboretum and park. Founded by the scientist Benigne Legouz de Gerland, the botanical garden houses and cultivates around 3500 indigenous species of plants. A great place to relax, the garden reflects natural charm with flower borders and lawns along with alleys shaded by a variety of tree species.
The Col du Ballon d'Alsace is a mountain pass situated close to the summit of the Ballon d'Alsace in the Vosges Mountains of France. It connects Saint-Maurice-sur-Moselle with Masevaux and Belfort. The Ballon d'Alsace was the first official mountain climb in the Tour de France. One of the nice trekking destination and also it offers a panoramic view of the natural beauty.
Espace Bernadette Soubirous Nevers is a former convent and the motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity of Nevers in Nevers, France, and is where the body of Saint Bernadette reposes. In 1970, it was converted into a sanctuary run by volunteers and a few sisters who administer to pilgrims and manage the building. There is also a museum that highlights the various steps in Bernadette’s life: the cachot, the grotto, Hospice of Lourdes and her time in Nevers. Some photographs and artifacts depict her
The castle of Brancion is located in the town of Martailly-lès-Brancion, Saone-et-Loire, 33 km south of Chalon-sur-Saone. this castle was built from the twelfth century on a hill overlooking a pass that borrows the road from Cluny and heading towards the course of the Saone. It was protected as historical monuments, the castle has recovered part of its fortifications, its imposing square dungeon high of three floors, and even its gardens.
The canal is one of the country’s oldest manmade waterways, built between 1602 and 1642. It connects the valleys of the Seine and the Loire. This canal is renowned as one of the favourite places for a barge cruise as well as being a highly impressive feat of engineering. It is also one of the main water sources of the area and also it is a good place to spend some leisure time in the banks of this canal.
The Tufs waterfall is a waterfall in the Cuisance , remarkable for its tuff massifs, located in the town of Planches-près-Arbois in the Jura. The Tufs waterfall is a waterfall in the Cuisance , remarkable for its tuff massifs, located in the town of Planches-près-Arbois in the Jura . It can be accessed from the nearby villages and also you can have a nice trek to reach the waterfall.
The Castle of Saint-Fargeau is a monument in the municipality of Saint-Fargeau. It is an attraction for holidaymakers staying in the region.The château was originally a hunting residence in 10th century. The château was designated as a monument historique in 1945 and has been open to the public since.
Dijon Cathedral, or at greater length the Cathedral of Saint Benignus of Dijon, is a Roman Catholic church located in the town of Dijon, Burgundy, France, and dedicated to Saint Benignus of Dijon. The Gothic cathedral building, constructed between 1280 and 1325, and dedicated on 9 April 1393, is a listed national monument. it became the seat of the Diocese of Dijon during the French Revolution, replacing the previous cathedral when it was secularised.
Cathedral of Saint-Etienne de Sens is the Catholic cathedral of the archdiocese of Sens. Saint Stephen is considered the first martyr: his cult is associated in Sens with that of Saint John the Baptist and the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is one of the first churches of Gothic architecture in Christendom with the Saint-Denis basilica. The cathedral is at the heart of a complex which also includes the former synodal palace and the former archiepiscopal palace.
The caves of Arcy-sur-Cure are a series of caves located on the commune of Arcy-sur-Cure, Burgundy, France. Some of them contained archaeological artifacts, from the Mousterian to Gallo-Roman times. Some hold remarkable parietal art, the second oldest presently known after those of the Chauvet cave. Another notable characteristic of these caves is the time-long series of pollen, related to determined and consistent archaeological levels. Listed monument Historique in 1992, they are partially op
Château d'Ancy-le-Franc is a Renaissance-style château of the 16th century located in the town of Ancy-le-Franc in the department of Yonne, in France. The site was originally occupied by a 12th-century fort, which survived until the end of the sixteenth century. The château is currently owned by a private company, Société Paris Investir SAS, which undertook its restoration, and recognition as a national historical monument.
Built-in the twelfth century, halfway up a wooded hill. The original castle was built by Jean de Saillenay in 1180, on the site of a Roman outpost guarding the road between Autun and the administrative center of Gallia Lugdunensis, now Sens. Today it is private property, and classified as a listed Historic building.
A simple fortified house built in the twelfth century by Renaudin lord of Bussy in a wooded valley near the archaeological site of Alesia. Historical Monument in 1862, it is owned by the state since 1929 and the building is managed by the National Monuments Center. Further restoration of the building has been carried out since the 1970s.
The Château de Châteauneuf, also known as the Château de Châteauneuf-en-Auxois, is a 15th-century fortress in the commune of Châteauneuf, 43 km from Dijon, in the Côte-d'Or département of France. It is a vast stone building, 75 metres in length and 35 metres broad, situated on a rocky outcrop 475 metres above the surrounding plains. It dominates the valley of Canal de Bourgogne.
Château de Cormatin is surrounded by moats filled with water and a magnificent 12-hectare park featuring flowerbeds, a traditional kitchen garden, a box tree maze, ornamental lakes, and 200-year-old lime trees. The castle was classified as a historical monument in 1862 and 1903 and various parts of the park were inscribed in 2019.
The Chateau de Joux is one of the most impressive and interesting castles to visit in the Franche-Comté region. The chateau is also known as the Fort de Joux. It served as a prison for successive French governments between the 17th and the 19th centuries. In that capacity, the château is best known as the site of imprisonment for so many leaders.
Château de La Rochepot is a 12th-century feudal castle of neo-Gothic-Burgundian style, rebuilt in the 15th century. In the 19th century, it was completely restored and covered with glazed burgundy tiles. It is located in the commune of La Rochepot in the Côte-d'Or department, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, France. The castle was built in 1180 on the ruins of a castle burnt down in the 11th century. It belonged to seigneur de Montagu Alexander of Burgundy. Nowadays, these ruins are located in the nea
Map of attractions in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté