Top 35 attractions to explore in Agder
Agder is a county and historical district of Norway in the southernmost region of Norway. The name Agder is older than the Norwegian language. Its meaning is not known.
Attractions in Agder
A beautiful suspension bridge that was located over the river Sira in the municipality of Flekkefjord in Agder, Norway. It was built in 1844 and listed as a historical monument in 1959. It was renovated several times to gain the shape of what now we see. It was one of the key attractions in this area and a look over to history.
Blindleia is a 20-kilometer long inland waterway in the municipality of Lillesand in Aust-Agder county, Norway. The strait starts in the Gamle Hellesund or Ulvøysund areas in southern Høvåg in the southwest and it continues northeast past the city of Lillesand. It is a saltwater fjord passage that is protected from the open sea by an elongated archipelago of skerries and larger islands. There are several narrow gaps as part of the waterway, some of them only 10 meters wide.
Bragdøya is an island in Kristiansand municipality in Agder county, Norway. The 0.7-square-kilometer island is in the archipelago in the Kristiansandsfjorden, just south of the city of Kristiansand. The island is surrounded by the smaller islands of Svensholmen and Langøya to the north and the island of Hestehaue to the southeast. The heavily populated island of Andøya lies to the southwest.
A beautiful lake which was located in the heart of Agder which was very vast in area. It is home for so many species of fishes and It is also one of the main water resources for the area and also it is one of the good picnic spots. Daily a lot of people visit this place and spends some leisure time in the banks of this lake.
A beautiful beach located in the heart of Agder and which is famous among the tourists. there are seating areas, bathrobes stairs, sand volleyball court, skate ramp, playground, and restrooms and so more. Close to Bystranda is the indoor water park Aquarama.
A theme park inspired by the famous children's novel Fri. "Thief of Cardamom" by Thorbjøn Egner. 33 houses have been set up here, which look exactly like the illustrations in the book. Families known to readers stroll around the town, and a tram rides.
Dømmesmoen is a farm in the Grimstad municipality. The farm has in the 20th century been used as a horticultural school, and today belongs to the University of Agder and is used for a number of purposes in addition to being a hiking and recreation area. Dømmesmoen is located on Raet, the large end moraine from the last ice age, but is located a little southwest of Raet National Park. The farm has now been taken over by the Grimstad municipality, which is also responsible for the park.
Grønningen Lighthouse is located about 8 km south-east of Kristiansand. The lighthouse came into service on 1. September 1878, and was manned until 1980, when it became automatic. The lighthouse became a heritage building in 1994. Bragdøya Kystlag keeps the lighthouse open for visitors and as overnight accommodation during the school summer holidays.
A very good camp sute which was located near to Kristianland and it is famous for the sandy beach and There have been archaeological excavations on Hamresanden, where ancient discoveries have been made. Hamresanden Camping is a family camp and waterpark located at Hamresanden.
Homborsund lighthouse is a coastal lighthouse located on the island Store Grønningen at the entrance to Homborsund outside Grimstad. The lighthouse is an example of a multi-family station as the lighthouse keeper lived together with his family on the island. The coastal strait is very busy during the summer, and the lighthouse has a great value of experience as part of the local environment.
A vast and beautiful island located in the Lillesand municipality in Agder county, Norway. There are about 360 residents on the island located in scattered settlements across the island. The old outport, Brekkestø, lies on the south side of the island. The outport is one of the remains from the time of sailing ships in the Skagerrak coast. The island is largely characterized by summer tourism.
Kilden Performing Arts Centre is a theater and concert hall on Odderøya in Kristiansand, Norway. It houses Kilden Teater, Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra, and Opera Sør in a joint project never previously embarked upon. There is room for a variety of concerts and other forms of cultural expression.
Kristiansand Kanonmuseum Møvik Fortress outside Kristiansand was built by the Germans during World War II. The museum houses the only remaining 380mm Krupp gun in the world. You can also take a ride with the ammunition railway train. This is an 1800 meter long railway track that used to carry ammunition for the guns at Møvik Fortress.
A cathedral in Kristiansand municipality in Agder county. The church is the main church for the Kristiansand domkirken parish and it is the seat of the Kristiansand arch-deanery within the Diocese of Agder of Telemark. The cathedral is also the seat of the Bishop of Agder and Telemark. The brick church was completed in 1885 and is one of the largest cathedrals in Norway. This cathedral is the fourth church and third cathedral to be located on this site over the centuries.
The museum is located at Kongsgård and consists of the Open Air Museum, Miniby (miniature houses) and a main building with a toy exhibition. The open-air museum at Kongsgård consists of 34 old houses in three areas: Bygade, Setesdal yard, and Vest-Agder yard. There is also so many interesting features in and around this museum and a lot of tourists visits this place every day,
Since the year 1966, this zoological garden has been offering great memories to the tourists. At this 60-hectare zoo, you can go through many wild animals such as chimpanzees, tigers, zebras, wolves, orangutans, lions, cheetahs, wolverines, and lynxes. The zoo keeps the animals in a very careful manner. There are many shops and stores in this zoo garden along with restaurants that serve hot and freshly cooked food and drinks at a truly reasonable price.
Lillesand Town and Shipping Museum is located in Carl Knudsen-garden in Agder. The main building is in Empire style from 1827 and is once again in its original colors. It contains a large collection of tools, kitchen utensils, and furniture which give a detailed picture of what our ancestors’ lives were like in a seaport. It is one of the key attractions in this area.
The lighthouse has been designated a national lighthouse museum and hosts various exhibitions relating to the development and history of lighthouses, maritime culture, etc. The mountain hall below the lighthouse houses a cinema, exhibitions, and a café. The complex also comprises a museum shop, a restaurant, and a gallery. You can see the remains of a German WW2 fort, and there are marked paths in the area.
The Lista Lighthouse is a 34 meter tall stone tower which was lit for the first time on the 10th of November 1836. During the Second World War, a bunker system was built around the lighthouse to protect it from Allied Forces. Follow the 134 steps to the top and enjoy the fantastic view of the Lista peninsula and the sea. Adjacent to the lighthouse is an art gallary, an information centre and an ornithological station.
This is Norway's largest wooden church, consecrated in 1821. The church, built in the Neoclassical Empire style, can seat up to 1300 people. It was designed by the architect Jørgen G. Løser. The painting "Resurrection", by the famous local artist Adolph Tidemand, hangs just inside the entrance to the church.
Merdø is an island in Arendal municipality in Agder county, Norway. The 0.3-square-kilometre island lies along the Skagerrak coast, near the entrance to the Galtesundet, the main shipping channel leading to the town of Arendal on the mainland. The islands of Tromøy and Hisøya lie to the north and northwest. The small islands of Ærøya and Havsøya lie to the southwest. A part of the island is included in Raet National Park.
At the Natural History Museum and Botanical Garden you will get to experience natural history from the ice age to the present, and how it developed from the coast to the mountains. There' s a colorful mineral exhibition at the museum. Botanical garden with a historical rose garden dating from 1850. You will also find Norway's largest collection of cactus, as well as flowers and trees from all over the world.
It is one of the oldest church in the area built approx. 1100-1150. Stone church in the Roman style, with a Baroque altarpiece and pulpit from 1704. Runic stone on the porch. There are organ concerts in the summer season. The church is open Monday- Friday, July and August and the rest of the year by appointment.
Odderøya is an island and neighbourhood in Kristiansand municipality in Agder county, Norway. The 170-acre island lies immediately to the south of the city centre of Kristiansand and it is connected to the mainland by four bridges. The island creates a natural division between the eastern and western parts of the port of Kristiansand.
Oksøy Lighthouse is a coastal lighthouse located off Kristiansand, Norway. It was first lit in 1832. The lighthouse, along with Grønningen Lighthouse, marks the approach to Kristiansand. The lighthouse marks the western side of the main shipping channel that leads inland to the port of the city of Kristiansand.
A beautiful valley which has been praised for its beautiful outdoor scene, its wide range of artists in the summer, plenty of wildlife and not least Café Generalen which has recipes 100 years back in time. The park was constructed as a romantic garden, in a valley with dramatic cliffs and waterfalls. A dam fointaine was built with natural pressure support from the nearby lake Baanetjønn.
Ryvingen lighthouse is located on an island 7 km southeast of Mandal. In addition to being the visible landmark for ship traffic that passes the southern tip of Norway, Ryvingen lighthouse together with Hatholmen lighthouse and lantern "Bestemor" on Sjøsanden, is the entry lighthouse to the ports of Mandal.
Saltholmen Lighthouse is a lighthouse that is on a small island off the coast about 2 kilometers southeast of the town of Lillesand in Agder county, Norway. There has been a lighthouse here since 1882. The island and lighthouse are named Saltholmen. This name comes from the salt extraction industry established by Hans Nielsen Hauge that once was located there. The lighthouse is only accessible by boat and the site is open, but the building is not open to the public.
The Setesdalsbanen is a narrow gauge (1,067 mm gauge) preserved railway line which follows an 8 km route between Grovane and Røyknes stations in Vennesla, 20 km outside Kristiansand. Norway’s first preserved railway line opened just two years after the line’s official closure in 1962. Since then, visitors have been able to experience a living museum.
Sjøsanden is located in the Furulunden nature park, which includes several great beaches and rocky outcrops. It has an extensive network of walking paths, and there are public toilets near the beaches. At Store Banken, there is also a wheelchair ramp. It is one of the great place to spend some leisure time.
Skjernøy is Norway's most possessed island. It is arranged in Mandal district and is related to the region by a thin framework, Skjernøysundbrua, which was worked in 1964. The island has around 390 occupants and is the greatest in the district 5.65 square kilometers. The masses are isolated into a couple of edges: Dyrstad, Skjernøysund, Valvik, Farestad, and Rossnes.
The Spangereid Canal runs across the Lindesnes Peninsula in Lindesnes municipality through Spangereid from Store Båly to Lenesfjorden. The purpose of the canal is to give small boat traffic an opportunity to pass Lindesnes without going out to sea. With a sailing height of 4.5 m, however, most sailboats are barred from crossing the canal and must still round Lindesnes at sea. It was now one of the tourist attractions in this area.
Store Torungen Lighthouse is a coastal lighthouse on the island of Store Torungen in the municipality of Arendal in Agder county, Norway. This lighthouse, together with the nearby Lille Torungen Lighthouse, mark the entrance from the Skaggerak through the outlying islands to the mainland town of Arendal. Both lighthouses were built in 1844 with the same specifications, making "twin" lighthouses marking the way to Arendal. The site of the Store Torungen Lighthouse is accessible only by boat. The
The trinity church is the third church on this site. The first church, a Y-shaped wooden structure, was erected in 1670. A desire to assert the town's status over Kristiansand was probably the motive behind its construction. In the 1830s, the town's shipping industry flourished, the population grew and the church became too small and was therefore demolished in 1832.
Map of attractions in Agder