39 Churches to explore in Norway
The country has the fourth-highest per capita income in the world. It has the world's largest sovereign wealth fund, with a value of US$1 trillion. Norway has had the highest Human Development Index ranking in the world since 2009, a position also held previously between 2001 and 2006.
Ålesund Church was built in 1909 after the old church from 1854 was destroyed in the Great Town Fire of 1904. The church is built in concrete and Norwegian marble and is beautifully decorated with stained glass windows and frescoes. The church is usually closed on Monday and Saturday,
Bakke Church is a parish church in the municipality of Trondheim in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway. It is located in the Bakklandet area of the city of Trondheim. The octagonal wooden church was built in 1715 and designed by the architect Johan Christopher Hempel. It is the oldest building in the Bakklandet area of Trondheim since it was the only building that was spared during the Swedish siege of 1718.
Borgund Church is situated in the old trading community Borgundkaupangen and is partially built on the remains of the old St. Peter's Church from the 12th century. Most parts of today's church are from 1904, with lovely carvings by Nicolai Mejdel og Hans Johannessen.
It was the church for the Lærdal parish until 1868 when it was closed and turned into a museum. The brown, wooden church was built in a stave church style around the year 1200. The museum now run by the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Norwegian Monuments.
Bragernes Church is a parish church located at the end of Church Street north of Bragernes square in the center of Drammen. The church organ has 38 voices and was built in the romantic style of organ builder Carsten Lund Organ Builders of Copenhagen.
Hamar cathedral is the seat of the Diocese of Hamar, part of the Lutheran Church of Norway. This huge church is built in 1866 and it's interior is characterized by an elevated nave, inspired by the basilica structure. The windows are decorated with fabric-like paintings, possibly based on medieval tapestries. The central feature of the interior is the altar, which is possibly the most unusual feature of the cathedral. Henrik Sørensen's depiction of the resurrected Jesus Christ was inspired by a
This small stave church is located close to West Telemark Museum, location Eidsborg. The Eidsborg Stave Church is believed to be built between 1250 and 1270 and is one of the best-preserved examples of 28 protected stave churches in Norway this is quite a contrast to the Middle Ages when there were more than 1000 stave churches in the country. This unique building form is seen as Norway’s contribution to world architecture.
Fantoft Stave Church is a reconstructed stave church in the Fana borough. The church was originally built around the year 1150 at Fortun in Sogn, later the church was bought by consul Fredrik Georg Gade and moved it in pieces to Fana near Bergen in 1883.
Garmo Stave Church is a stave church situated at the Maihaugen museum at Lillehammer in Innlandet, Norway. Garmo Stave Church at Maihaugen is one of the most visited stave churches in Norway. It was built circa 1150 on the site of a previous church believed to have been built in 1021 by a Viking chieftain. In 1730, it was expanded into a cruciform church in the timber.
Geiranger Church is an octagonal church built-in 1842 in timber, seating 120. The architect was Hans Klipe. It is located in the village of Geiranger, and the end of the famous Geirangerfjorden. The first church was a stave church that was about 6 metres wide and about 17 metres long. That church was torn down in 1742. Two years later, a new cruciform church on the same site was completed.
Grip Stave Church is a historic parish church of the Church of Norway in Kristiansund Municipality in Møre og Romsdal county, Norway. It is located in the now-abandoned fishing village of Grip on the small island of Grip about 14 kilometers northwest of the town of Kristiansund. It was an annex church for the Kristiansund parish which is part of the Ytre Nordmøre prosti in the Diocese of Møre. The white, wooden church was built in a rectangular stave church style in 1470 by an unknown architect.
The ruins of the old Hamar Cathedral are situated on the Domkirkeodden promontory. This is a place which paves light to the medieval Hamar by listening to the beautiful song at the cathedral ruins or by tasting the monks' herbal drink made from medieval herbs from our own garden. We can also tailor your event to meet your wishes.
Norway's largest stave church built in the 1200s and still in use. Rose paintings from the 1600s, "bishop's chair" and incense vessels from medieval times. Guided tours in English, exhibition in the vicarage barn, open parallel with the guided tours. Cafeteria serving hot and cold meals. Church services and "quiet room".
Designed by the architect Odd Østby on the theme "Rock Crystals In Roses " and consecrated in 1964, this is perhaps Norway's most daring church building. When light flows through the 320 color glass windows in all shades of red and yellow, the 30-meter high chancel wall is transformed into a symphony of colors.
A cathedral in Kristiansand municipality in Agder county. The church is the main church for the Kristiansand domkirken parish and it is the seat of the Kristiansand arch-deanery within the Diocese of Agder of Telemark. The cathedral is also the seat of the Bishop of Agder and Telemark. The brick church was completed in 1885 and is one of the largest cathedrals in Norway. This cathedral is the fourth church and third cathedral to be located on this site over the centuries.
A beautiful and special stave church. it was built in the period 1631 – 33, and not in the 13th century! This makes Kvernes unique: Norways only stave church built after the Middle Ages. Inside the church, there is choir screen with a crucifix and royal monogram, baroque pulpit, painted acanthus decorations. The altarpiece is from 1475.
The beautiful church dates back to 1158-59, which was still the main church in Lom. The oldest part was built in Romanesque style. By archeological excavations in 1973 interesting findings were made; more than 2.000 coins and a love message with carved runes on a stick and this church has the largest collection of paintings found in any Norwegian church, most of them done by Eggert Munch.
This is Norway's largest wooden church, consecrated in 1821. The church, built in the Neoclassical Empire style, can seat up to 1300 people. It was designed by the architect Jørgen G. Løser. The painting "Resurrection", by the famous local artist Adolph Tidemand, hangs just inside the entrance to the church.