Top 19 attractions to explore in Richland County
Richland County is located in the U.S. state of South Carolina. It is the second-most populous county in South Carolina which was founded in 1785.
The Chappelle Administration Building, on the campus of Allen University in Columbia, South Carolina, was designed by John Anderson Lankford, known as the "dean of black architects. The building name has been spelled Chapelle Administration Building in HABS and NPS reports. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976, cited as one Lankford's most important works.
The Columbia Canal is the surviving canal of a series of canals built by the State of South Carolina in 1824 using the labor of indentured Irishmen to provide direct water routes between the upstate settlements and the towns on the Fall Line and the Riverfront Park is a nice place to unwind and get away, being only a short distance from Columbia's business district and the University.
The Columbia Museum of Art is South Carolina's premier international art museum established in 1950 with extraordinary collections of European, American, Asian, and modern and contemporary fine and decorative art that span millennia. It is one of the main attractions in Richland county.
American national park in central South Carolina which preserves the largest tract of old growth bottomland hardwood forest left in the United States. The lush trees growing in its floodplain forest are some of the tallest in the eastern United States, forming one of the highest temperate deciduous forest canopies remaining in the world.
It is the largest and most visited park in downtown Columbia, South Carolina opened in 1991. the prime attraction in the park is a beautiful waterfall along with cascading mountain type stream falling to the park lake along with so many attractions.
The James Petigru Boyce Chapel is a historic church building at 1306 Hampton Street in Columbia, South Carolina. It is a Greek Revival building built in 1859. A convention met here on December 17, 1860, whose delegates voted unanimously for South Carolina to secede from the United States, leading to the American Civil War. It was designated a National Historic Landmark as First Baptist Church, the role it played at the time.
Fort Jackson is a United States Army installation and is located within the city of Columbia, South Carolina. It is the largest and most active initial entry training center in the U.S. Army, training 50 percent of all soldiers and 60 percent of the women entering the Army each year.
Fort Jackson National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located northeast of Columbia, South Carolina. It encompasses 585 acres acquired from Fort Jackson, a United States Army Basic Training facility, and was dedicated on October 26, 2008.
Gervais Street Bridge is a historic bridge in South Carolina in the United States and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is an arch bridge constructed from reinforced concrete. Construction began in 1926 and the bridge was completed in 1928. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
This is a historic mansion that was the home of members of the prominent Hampton family. The house is of a post-Colonial, Classical Revival style which was constructed in 1818. Now the house was restored and reopened to the public in 1970 as a museum that epitomizes the lives of the planter elite in antebellum South Carolina and is operated by the Historic Columbia Foundation.
Harbison State Forest is a South Carolina State Forest in Richland County, South Carolina. The forest is found in the Midlands region of central South Carolina and comprises 2,177 acres of woodland, meadowland, and bottomland located alongside the Broad River in Richland County, South Carolina.
The Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is a 170-acre zoo, aquarium, and botanical garden located along the Saluda River in Columbia, South Carolina. The zoo is home to over 2,000 animals, with collections of mammals, birds, reptiles, and fish. It is one of the main tourist attractions in Richland county
This is a historic house museum at 1616 Blanding Street in Columbia, South Carolina which was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973 for its architectural significance. It has been furnished with decorative arts of the early 19th century, including American Federal, English Regency, and French Empire pieces.
A 1,419-acre park, situated in the middle of the sandhills region, features a beautiful 30-acre lake surrounded by trails, playgrounds, splash pad, dog park, picnic areas, and over 80 RV/tent site campground. It was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression and was given to the City of Columbia to mark 150 years following its incorporation, giving rise to the state park’s name.
The South Carolina State House is the building housing the government of the U.S. state of South Carolina, which includes the South Carolina General Assembly and the offices of the Governor and Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina. Located in the capital city of Columbia near the corner of Gervais and Assembly Streets, the building also housed the Supreme Court until 1971.
The Basilica of St. Peter, also known as St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, is located at 1529 Assembly St. in Columbia, South Carolina. This is the second building of the oldest Catholic parish in Columbia and the Midlands of South Carolina. On June 24, 2018, it was announced that the Vatican's Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments issued a decree granting Saint Peter's Catholic Church in Columbia the title ‘Minor Basilica.
Map of attractions in Richland County