22 Palaces to explore in Italy
Located in Southern Europe consisting of a peninsula delimited by the Alps and surrounded by several islands.
A dazzling pink and white marble design and has been described - fairly accurately - as an oversized wedding cake. Much of the present building dates from the 15th century – although an earlier building on the spot may date back to the 9th century - and has been rebuilt and added on to several times. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former Republic. It was built in 1340, and extended and modified in the following centuries. It became a museum in 19
The Palazzo Fortuny is a palazzo gothic of Venice located in the district of San Marco. It takes its name from the last owner, the artist Mariano Fortuny y Madrazo, and is home to the homonymous museum. Today the museum is part of the Venice Civic Museums Foundation. Previously, the building was known as Palazzo Pesaro degli Orfei. The palace became for a time the seat of the Orfei Philharmonic Academy, hence the name Palazzo Pesaro degli Orfei, with which it was later known.
One of the most prestigious late Gothic palaces in Venice gathers up the important art collection of the Baron Giorgio Franchetti (1865-1927), who in 1916 donated his collections and the building itself to the Italian State, after having made it magnificent as in the past with some restorations. The inner courtyard mosaic was designed by the Baron himself. His grandson helped further his wish, stated in 1916, to make the house and his collection a museum.
The Giusti palace and garden are located in the homonymous street in Verona, near the center and a few tens of meters from Piazza Isolo. The palace was built in the 16th century with a classic U-shaped layout, together with the garden, considered one of the most beautiful examples of an Italian garden. The garden has been modified several times during its long life and was particularly well cared for after the Second World War.
Palazzo Mocenigo is a stately building in Venice, located at number 1992 in the Santa Croce district, along the salizada of San Stae. It is the seat of the Museum of Palazzo Mocenigo - Study Center of the History of Textiles, Costume and Perfume. The building consists of five levels: ground floor, mezzanine, two noble floors, and a mezzanine with an attic. The building also houses the Library of the Cinema Circuit.
Palazzo Barberini is one of the most overlooked art museums in Rome. The 17th-century palace is incredibly centrally located – just around the corner from the quattro fontane and a few streets over from the Trevi Fountain. The sloping site had formerly been occupied by a garden-vineyard of the Sforza family, in which a palazzetto had been built in 1549. The sloping site passed from one cardinal to another during the sixteenth century, with no project fully getting off the ground.
The Palazzo Colonna is a block of palatial buildings in the center of the city of Rome, located at the base of the Quirinal Hill, and adjacent to the Basilica of the Holy Apostles. This majestic Palace was built on the ruins of an ancient Roman Serapeum and it has belonged to the prominent Colonna family for over twenty generations. One of the beautiful buildings which was a favourite spot for tourists.
Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo is a building late Gothic of Venice , located in the district of San Marco , near Campo Manin , and overlooking the Rio di San Luca. It has a simple, linear and elegant appearance. The palazzo was designed and built in its current form in the 15th century by the architect Giovanni Candi as one of the city residences of the Contarini family. It is now one of the tourist attractions in this area.
The Palazzo del Podestà in Bologna overlooks Piazza Maggiore, in the heart of the city, together with the Palazzo Comunale and the Basilica of San Petronio. It was built around 1200, together with Piazza Maggiore as a building to carry out public functions and therefore the seat of the podestà and his officials. The current layout is very different from the original one also because the Palazzo Re Enzo was built later, between 1244 and 1246.
The Palazzo dell'Arengario is a building consisting of two twin buildings located in Piazza del Duomo in Milan. hardly you won't notice this 30's building and its art deco architecture. Several works of art from the 20th century, from futurism to Italian Arte Povera, are marvelously preserved in its rooms. In the 2000s, the palace was restored and adapted by Italo Rota and Fabio Fornasari to house the Museo del Novecento, a museum of twentieth-century art inaugurated in 2010, especially renowne
It is the Pisa’s second-largest square is one of the city’s most notable works of architecture. The palace is a stunning example of Renaissance architecture. Today, the building remains a center for education, but of a very different kind. Since the mid-19th century, the palace has been the premises of the Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, one of the most highly regarded universities in Italy. Designed by the famous Giorgio Vasari and built between 1562 and 1564.
The Palazzo Della Pilotta, also called simply la Pilotta, is a vast complex of buildings located in the historic center of Parma, located between Piazzale della Pace and the Lungoparma. The name derives from the game of Basque pelota, played by Spanish soldiers in the courtyard of the Guazzatoio, originally called the pelota. It currently houses the National Archaeological Museum, the National Gallery, the Palatine Library, and the Bodonian Museum. In 2016, the complex attracted 89,478 visitors
A majestic roman palace that serves as an important example of High Renaissance architecture. It was designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger and built between 1517 and 1589. The 56 m façade, occupying the longer side of a spacious piazza, is three storeys tall and thirteen bays wide. It is built of brick with strong stone quoins and has a heavily rusticated portal.
The Re Enzo Palace is a historic building in Bologna dating from the thirteenth century. It was built between 1244 and 1246 at the behest of the podestà Filippo Ugoni as an extension of the municipal buildings of the Palazzo del Podestà and for this reason, called Palatium Novum, but its historical events have made it always linked to the figure of King Enzo of Sardinia.
The museum of Palazzo Schifanoia is housed in an Estense Delight in via Scandiana 23, in Ferrara. The palace was built in 1385 and the name was chosen was intended to underline its function at the Este court, that is, a building intended for rest and recreation. The palace was built for Alberto V d'Este in 1385. Borso d'Este transformed it and had it enlarged. Built on a quadrangular base, without the side wings, it was designed as a small place to rest and relax.
Tuscan city of Siena. It is located in the heart of Piazza del Campo. It was built after the order of its construction was given by the Nine; a council consisting of merchants and bankers whose sole purpose was to govern Siena, in the late 13th century. The outside of the structure is an example of Italian medieval architecture with Gothic influences. The lower story is stone while the upper crenellated stories are made of brick. Nearly every major room in the palace contains frescoes.
The Quirinale is one of the primary places in the life of the Italian Republic. It is one of the great examples of heritage of art, history and culture of inestimable value and of testaments to the hard work, creativity and genius of the Italian people. The palace is on the Quirinal Hill, the tallest of the seven hills of Rome. It housed thirty popes, four kings and eleven presidents of the Italian Republic. The palace extends for an area of 110,500 square metres and is the eleventh-largest pal
The palace was built at the beginning of the 13th century and originally served as a court building in Padua. Along the open loggia on both sides are many dealers and around both squares you can experience daily market activity. All day on Saturdays and during the week in the morning, merchants cry their wares here. The palace separates the two market squares of Piazza delle Erbe from Piazza dei Frutti. It is popularly called "il Salone".
The Royal Palace of Caserta is a historic royal palace, with an adjoining park, located in Caserta. Commissioned in the 18th century by Charles of Bourbon, King of Naples and Sicily, based on a project by Luigi Vanvitelli, it occupies an area of 47,000 m² and, with over 1,000,000 m³, is the largest royal residence in the world by volume. In 1997 it was declared by UNESCO, together with the Carolino Aqueduct and the San Leucio complex, a World Heritage Site.
The Royal Palace of Naples is a historic building located in Piazza del Plebiscito, in the historic center of Naples, where the main entrance is located: the whole complex, including the gardens and the San Carlo theater, also overlooks Piazza Trieste and Trento, Piazza del Municipio and via Acton. It was the historical residence of the Spanish viceroys for over one hundred and fifty years, of the Bourbon dynasty from 1734 to 1861.