113 Museums to explore in Italy
Located in Southern Europe consisting of a peninsula delimited by the Alps and surrounded by several islands.
The Accademia Gallery is Florence’s most visited museum right after the Uffizi Gallery. The original statue of Michelangelo’s famous David actually has made the Accademia the most popular museum in Florence. It also has other sculptures by Michelangelo and a large collection of paintings by Florentine artists, mostly from the period 1300–1600, the Trecento to the Late Renaissance. In 2016, it had 1.46 million visitors, making it the second most visited art museum in Italy, after the Uffizi.
The archaeological park of Urbs Salvia is a state archaeological area located in the municipality of Urbisaglia. It is the largest archaeological park in the Marche. The excavation area owned by the Italian State, since 1998 has been granted under management to the Municipality of Urbisaglia, which is also the site of museum, musical and artistic events. In 2015 it registered 8 239 visitors.
The term " Grotte di Catullo " identifies a Roman villa built between the end of the 1st century BC and the 1st century AD in Sirmione, in the province of Brescia, on the southern shore of Lake Garda. The archaeological complex, part of which, especially in the northern sector, which has always remained insight, has been the subject of scholarly visits and speculations since the 15th century, is today the most important testimony of the Roman period in the territory of Sirmione and is the exampl
The Bagatti Valsecchi Museum is a historic residence located in the Montenapoleone district, in the center of Milan. "Palazzo Bagatti Valsecchi", which houses the museum, was purchased by the Lombardy Region in 1975 and is one of the most important and best-preserved museum houses in Europe. Since October 2008 it has been part of the " Case Museo di Milano " circuit.
The Bargello Museum is located in the impressive Palazzo del Bargello, a fortress with powerful embattlements which surround the austere facade. Begun in 1255, the building was the headquarters of the Capitano del Popolo and later of the Podestà and Council of Justice. In 1574, it became the living quarters for the Captain of Justice (chief of police) and was used as a prison.
The renowned state museum in Rome distinguished for its collection of Italian Baroque paintings and ancient sculptures. It is located in the Borghese Gardens on the Pincian Hill and is housed in the Villa Borghese, a building designed by the Dutch architect Jan van Santen (Giovanni Vasanzio) and built between 1613 and 1616. It houses a substantial part of the Borghese collection of paintings, sculpture, and antiquities, begun by Cardinal Scipione Borghese, the nephew of Pope Paul.
Ca' Rezzonico is a palazzo on the Grand Canal in the Dorsoduro sestiere of Venice, Italy. It is a particularly notable example of the 18th century Venetian baroque and rococo architecture and interior decoration, and displays paintings by the leading Venetian painters of the period, including Francesco Guardi and Giambattista Tiepolo. It is a public museum dedicated to 18th-century Venice and one of the 11 venues managed by the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia.
The Capitoline Museums are the main civic museum of the city of Rome. The historical seat is constituted by the Palazzo dei Conservatori and the Palazzo Nuovo. The two buildings are located on the Campidoglio Square remodeled following the design of Michelangelo and are linked by the Galleria Lapidaria, an underground passage that crosses the Campidoglio Square without having to go outside the museums.
Casa Santi or Rafael's Birthplace is a museum in the city of Urbino. It belongs to the Historic Center of Urbino, declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1998. The house where Raphael was born in 1483 was built in the 14th century and, since 1460, Giovanni Santi, father of the famous painter, who was himself a painter and poet, lived there. In 1637 the building was acquired by Muzio Oddi, a local architect; and in 1837 it became the headquarters of the Rafael Academy.
Castel Nuovo, also called Maschio Angioino or Mastio Angioino, is a historic medieval and Renaissance castle, as well as one of the symbols of the city of Naples. The castle dominates the scenic Piazza Municipio and is the seat of the Neapolitan Society of Homeland History and of the Naples Committee of the Institute for the history of the Italian Risorgimento, housed in the premises of the SNSP. The civic museum is also located in the complex.
The castle of Gradara is the complex that stands on the top of a hill in the municipality of Gradara, in the province of Pesaro and Urbino, in the Marche region, consisting of a medieval castle - fortress and the adjacent historic village, protected by a outer wall that extends for almost 800 meters, making the entire structure imposing. Over time, the castle has progressively become one of the most visited monuments in the region and is the scene of museum, musical and artistic events.
The Castello di Rivoli Museum of Contemporary Art is home to the Museum of Contemporary Art housed in a building of historical interest located, a Unesco World Heritage Site in Rivoli, about 15 km west of Turin, in Piedmont. It was the former Residence of the Royal House of Savoy in Rivoli. which was built in the 9th–10th centuries.
The Fantiscritti quarries are white marble quarries located in the municipality of Carrara . The whole, now a museum, was created forty years ago by Walter Danesi. There is a railway station built for the line of the Carrara Private Marble Railway . It houses a "Museum of the quarries" and is often a stage and scenery for artists' exhibitions.
The house of Christopher Columbus in Genoa is the reconstruction of the building in which Christopher Columbus lived in his youth. Today used as a historic museum of the Municipality, the house is located a short distance from the Porta Soprana, just outside the ancient medieval walls. Historical documents have made it possible to ascertain that the navigator lived there in the lapse of time included - indicatively - between 1455 and 1470.
This tall structure halfway down Via dei Calzaiuoli looks more like a Gothic warehouse than a church—which is exactly what it was, built as a granary/grain market in 1337. On the ground floor of the square building are the 13th-century arches that originally formed the loggia of the grain market. The second floor was devoted to offices, while the third housed one of the city's municipal grain storehouses, maintained to withstand famine or siege.
One of the oldest museums in Italy, and it is devoted to art produced in the last two centuries. It was opened to the public in 1863, and it keeps over 40.000 pieces, among paintings, sculptures, installations, drawings, and engravings. Particularly important is the film and artistic videos collection, one of the most famous in Europe.
The Civic Museums have been housed since 1936 in the headquarters of Palazzo Mosca, former residence of one of the most important families of the Pesaro nobility. The displays occupy five halls in the first floor, and include works from diverse centuries. Among the Renaissance works is the large altarpiece, called the Pesaro Altarpiece or Pala di Pesaro, depicting the Coronation of the Virgin (1475) by Giovanni Bellini. It was originally located in the church of San Francesco, Pesaro.
The Correale Museum of Terranova is an archaeological museum, art gallery, and art gallery in Sorrento: in its interior furniture of the XVII century, paintings ranging from the fifteenth to the nineteenth century, archaeological and porcelain, especially of the Capodimonte school. The museum exhibits collections of Neapolitan painters dating from the 17th and 18th century. It contains valuable Capodimonte and Sèvres ceramics, Murano glassware, Bohemia crystals, and a collection of watches.
D'Albertis Castle is a historical residence in Genoa, north-western Italy. It was the home of sea captain Enrico Alberto d'Albertis and was donated to the city of Genoa on his death in 1932. It currently houses the Museo Delle Culture del Mondo. IT was built in the gothic revival style and The Museum displays furniture, décor, ethnographic, and archaeological finds collected by Enrico and Luigi Maria d'albertis during their trips to Africa, America, New Guinea, and Oceania.
A dazzling pink and white marble design and has been described - fairly accurately - as an oversized wedding cake. Much of the present building dates from the 15th century – although an earlier building on the spot may date back to the 9th century - and has been rebuilt and added on to several times. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former Republic. It was built in 1340, and extended and modified in the following centuries. It became a museum in 19