Church and Museum of Orsanmichele
Via dell'Arte della Lana, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy
About Church and Museum of Orsanmichele
This tall structure halfway down Via dei Calzaiuoli looks more like a Gothic warehouse than a church—which is exactly what it was, built as a granary/grain market in 1337. On the ground floor of the square building are the 13th-century arches that originally formed the loggia of the grain market. The second floor was devoted to offices, while the third housed one of the city's municipal grain storehouses, maintained to withstand famine or siege.
Attractions near Church and Museum of Orsanmichele
Piazza della Repubblica is one of the main squares in Florence and marks the center of the city since Roman times. During medieval times the area around the column was densely populated with markets, tabernacles and churches. The square's Giubbe Rosse cafe has long been a meeting place for famous artists and writers, notably those of Futurism.
Piazza Della Signoria is the central square of Florence, the seat of civil power and the heart of the city's social life. L-shaped, it is located in the central part of medieval Florence, south of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore. In the past, it has taken on various names, such as piazza Dei Priori or piazza del Granduca. It is the meeting place of Florentines as well as the numerous tourists, located near Palazzo Vecchio and Piazza del Duomo and gateway to Uffizi Gallery.
The Loggia dei Lanzi is a beautiful arched gallery that was built in the 14th century at the Piazza della Signoria right in front of the Palazzo Vecchio. It consists of wide arches open to the street. The arches rest on clustered pilasters with Corinthian capitals. The wide arches appealed so much to the Florentines that Michelangelo proposed that they should be continued all around the Piazza della Signoria.
The Palazzo Vecchio is the main symbol of the civil power for the city of Florence, whose original project is attributed to Arnolfo di Cambio. Construction on the solid fortress began in 1299 above the ruins of the destroyed Uberti Ghibelline towers, the testimony of the final victory of the Guelph faction. From 1865 to 1871 it housed the Chamber of Deputies of the Kingdom of Italy, and since 1872 it has been the town hall.
The Bargello Museum is located in the impressive Palazzo del Bargello, a fortress with powerful embattlements which surround the austere facade. Begun in 1255, the building was the headquarters of the Capitano del Popolo and later of the Podestà and Council of Justice. In 1574, it became the living quarters for the Captain of Justice (chief of police) and was used as a prison.
Palazzo Strozzi in Florence is one of the most beautiful Italian Renaissance palaces. Of imposing size, it is located between the homonymous via Strozzi and Piazza Strozzi, and via Tornabuoni, with three grandiose identical portals on as many sides. A true masterpiece of Florentine Renaissance civil architecture, it was begun at the behest of Filippo Strozzi, a wealthy merchant belonging to one of the wealthiest families in Florence, traditionally hostile to the Medici faction.
Where is Church and Museum of Orsanmichele
Discover more attractions in Tuscany, where Church and Museum of Orsanmichele is located
Tuscany is known for its landscapes, history, artistic legacy, and its influence on high culture. It is regarded as the birthplace of the Italian Renaissance and has been home to many figures influential in the history of art and science, and contains well-known museums such as the Uffizi and the Pitti Palace. Tuscany is also known for its wines.