20 Attractions to Explore Near Maria Laach Abbey
Maria Laach Abbey is a Benedictine abbey situated on the southwestern shore of Lake Laach, near Andernach, in the state of Rhineland-Palatinate in Germany. The abbey was built in the 11th-12th century and was originally known as "Abtei Laach" meaning the "Lake Abbey" until 1862. The abbey church is considered a masterpiece of German Romanesque architecture, with its multiple towers, large westwork with arcaded gallery, and unique west porch.
Andernach Geyser is the highest cold-water geyser in the world, reaching heights of 30 to 60 metres. It is one of the sights in the volcano park and part of the Geopark Vulkanland Eifel. The geyser is fed from a 350-metre-deep artesian well and it is closed with a valve for safety reasons art night.
Hohe Acht, the tallest peak of the Eifel mountains is a volcano that existed between 2.6 to 66 million years ago. The summit has an observation tower erected by Emporer William II in 1908. The tower offers a great view of the Eifel Mountains and nearby towns.
A ruined castle standing on a hilltop slopped with vine gardens. The archbishops of Cologne and Trier were joined owners of the castle from the 13th century, resulting in each half of the castle having its own towers, buildings, and entrances. The castle fell into despair in the early 16th century and was partly restored in 19th century. It is open to the public in certain months of the year, for an entry fee.
Eltz Castle is a medieval castle nestled in the hills above the Moselle River between Koblenz and Trier, Germany. It is still owned by a branch of the Eltz family that lived there in the 12th century, 33 generations ago. The castle is one of the only three castles on the left bank of the Rhine in Rhineland-Palatinate which has never been destroyed. The castle sits on a 70-metre (230 ft) rock spur.
The museum is a remote site of the Nuremberg Transport Museum and exhibits over 20 locomotives and agons. The focus of the museum is electric trains and travelling by train, and the experiance is enhanced by its collections of photographs and models.
The Schloss Koblenz or Electoral Palace was the residence of the last Archbishop and Elector of Trier, Clemens Wenceslaus of Saxony, who commissioned the building in the late 18th century. It now houses various offices of the federal government. The building's interior is not accessible to the public. The Palace is one of the most important examples of the early French neoclassical house in Southwestern Germany.
Deutsches Eck is the name of a headland in Koblenz, Germany, where the Mosel river joins the Rhine. It is known for a monumental equestrian statue of William I, first German Emperor, erected in 1897 in appreciation for his role in the unification of Germany.
Stolzenfels Castle is a medieval fortress castle turned into a palace, near Koblenz on the left bank of the Rhine. Stolzenfels was gifted to the Prussian Crownprince, Frederick William in 1823. He had it rebuilt as a 19th-century palace in Gothic Revival style. The original castle at Stolzenfels was built as a fortification, used to protect the toll station on the Rhine, where the ships had to stop and pay toll.
Lahneck Castle is a medieval fortress located in the city of Lahnstein in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. The 13th-century castle stands on a steep rock salient above the confluence of the Lahn River with the Rhine. Lahneck Castle was built in 1226 by the Archbishop of Mainz Siegfried III of Eppstein to protect his territory at the mouth of the Lahn, where the town of Oberlahnstein and a silver mine had come into his possession in 1220.
The Reichsburg Cochem (Cochem Castle) had its first documented mention in 1130. In 1151, it was occupied by King Konrad III, who declared it an Imperial castle. In 1688, the castle was overrun by French King Louis XIV's troops in the course of the Nine Years' War or War of the Palatine Succession, and the following year, they destroyed it. The castle complex long lay in ruins and in 1868 it was bought by the Berlin businessman Louis Fréderic Jacques Ravené and then reconstructed in the Gothic Re
It is a private villa designed like a palace. It was constructed in the late 19th century and located 200 m above sea level. It was completed in 1884 on the Drachenfels hill in Königswinter, a German town on the Rhine near Bonn. It was built for Baron Stephan von Sarter (1833–1902), a banker and broker.
The Marksburg is a castle above the town of Braubach in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. The fortress was used for protection rather than as a residence for royal families. A stone keep was built on the spot in 1100 by the Eppstein family and expanded into a castle around 1117 to protect the town of Braubach and to reinforce the customs facilities. In 1283, Count Eberhard of Katzenelnbogen bought it and throughout the 14th and 15th century the high noble counts rebuilt the castle constantly. In 14
Calmont is a steep hill above the Moselle river at a height of 380.6 m above sea level. It lies within the Moselle wine region and is home to the vineyards of Bremmer Calmont and Ellerer Calmont. Wth gradients of up to over 65º, it is among the steepest vineyards in the world. The area is popular for its hiking routes through the vineyards.
The Geierlay is a suspension bridge in the low mountain range of the Hunsrück in western Germany. It has a span range of 360 metres (1,180 ft) and is up to 100 metres (330 ft) above ground. A stream named Mörsdorfer Bach runs through the valley below the bridge.
The House of the History of the Federal Republic of Germany was opened in 1994. It is a modern history museum in Bonn, Germany, and one of the most famous museums in the country. The place exhibits German history since 1945, and it has over 75,000 political cartoons and caricatures.
A volcanic crater lake(Maar) formed around 10,500 years ago from an explosion occured from interaction between magma and water. It is a part of a double maar which includes another eastern dry maar. The crater lake is about 500 meters in diameters and 21 meters in depth.
Maus Castle is a castle above Wellmich in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It rests on Rhine's eastside, north Katz Castle in Sankt Goarshausen, opposing Rheinfels Castle at Sankt Goar across the river. Construction of the castle was begun in 1356 by Archbishop-Elector of Trier Bohemond II and was continued for the next 30 years by successive Electors of Trier. The construction was to enforce Trier's recently acquired Rhine River toll rights and to secure Trier's borders against the Counts of Katz
Rheinfels Castle is a castle ruin located above the left bank of the Rhine River in Sankt Goar, Germany. It was founded in 1245 by Count Diether V of Katzenelnbogen. The castle was damaged by French Revolutionary Army troops in 1797. It is the largest castle overlooking the Rhine, and historically covered five times its current area. While much of the castle is a ruin, some of the outer buildings now housed a luxury hotel, "wellness" centre, restaurant. and a museum.
It is a castle above the town of St. Goarshausen and was first built around 1371 by Count William II. The castle stands on a ledge looking downstream from the riverside at St. Goar. It was bombarded in 1806 by Napoleon and rebuilt in 1898. It is privately owned and not open to visitors.