Rue du Puits-Saint-Pierre 6, 1204 Genève, Switzerland
About Tavel House
Maison Tavel, meaning Tavel House, is the oldest house in Geneva, built in the 12th century by the Maison family. In 1334, the house was reconstructed following a devastating fire. In 1963, the house was purchased by the city of Geneva and remade into the museum of history of Geneva.
Attractions near Tavel House
Passage de Monetier is the former secret passage of Geneva, used as a part of a more complex system of hidden passages for unnoticed soldiers transfers and civilians escape. This monument dating from the 14th century. It is located in the old town, which it crosses right through. This historic passage is about 100 meters long in a zigzag way.
Situated in the heart of Old Town Geneva, the Barbier-Müller Museum preserves, exhibits, and studies a collection that started in 1907. Today the collection contains thousands of artworks from tribal and classical Antiquity as well as sculptures, fabrics, and ornaments from around the world. Many of these items are priceless masterpieces. These “historic” items cannot be found anywhere else today, which makes this private collection the most important of its kind in the world.
St. Peter's Cathedral is over 850 years old Geneva's main church, famous for Jan Kalvin preaching here. St. Peter's Cathedral is located in the center of Geneva's Old Town, slightly on the hill overseeing the city, combining various architectural styles from Gothic to Ancient, as it was being rebuilt over the centuries. Since 16th-century Cathedral belongs to the Reformed Church. Cathedral also hosts numerous concerts, there is an archaeological site and Maccabean Caple located here and open for
The promenade de la Treille is a promenade located in the old town of Geneva in Switzerland . It is spread out between the mansions of rue des Granges, the Hôtel-de-Ville and the ramparts overlooking the Parc des Bastions . At the top of the promenade is the official chestnut tree whose first bud, regularly reported by the press, marks the arrival of spring.
The Calvin Auditorium or Calvin Auditory, originally the Notre-Dame-la-Neuve Chapel, is a chapel in Geneva, Switzerland, which played a significant role in the Protestant Reformation. It is associated with John Calvin, Theodore Beza, and John Knox. The auditorium lies directly adjacent to St. Pierre Cathedral in the Place de la Taconnerie. The austere Gothic-style building was constructed in the 15th century, on the site of earlier 5th-century religious buildings, and was originally dedicated t
The imposing Reformation Wall stands in the Parc des Bastions, portraying the major figures of the Reformation in the form of huge statues and bas-reliefs. At the centre are John Calvin, William Farel, Théodore de Bèze, and John Knox. On the sides are those who spread the Reformation throughout Europe. Engraved in the wall, the motto of Geneva “Post Tenebras Lux” is a core phrase of Calvinist philosophy. At the park’s exit lies the Place de Neuve with its buildings dedicated to art and culture.
Where is Tavel House
Discover more attractions in Geneva, where Tavel House is located