Königsfelden Monastery - 4 Things to Know Before Visiting
About Königsfelden Monastery
Königsfelden Monastery is a former Franciscan double monastery, which housed both a community of Poor Clare nuns and one of the Franciscan friars, living in separate wings, in the municipality of Windisch in the canton of Aargau in Switzerland. It was founded in 1308 by the Habsburgs. In the course of the Protestant Reformation in Switzerland in 1528, it was secularized, and the complex was then the residence of the bailiffs of Bern.
Hotels near Königsfelden Monastery
Hotels to stay near Königsfelden Monastery
Top Trips and Tours in Switzerland
Tours and activities in Switzerland that might be of interest to you
Attractions Near Königsfelden Monastery
Amphitheater of Vindonissa
0.53km from Königsfelden Monastery
The amphitheatre of Vindonissa is the oldest in Switzerland. It was erected by the 13th legion, initially being made of wood. After a fire, the 21st legion replaced it with the stone structure that survives today. The seating area had a capacity of some 11,000 spectators while the oval arena in the centre measured 64x52 metres - the largest of the seven known amphitheatres on Swiss territory.
1km from Königsfelden Monastery
The Vindonissa Museum in Brugg shows the most important finds from Vindonissa, the only Roman legionary camp on the territory of present-day Switzerland. The permanent and special exhibitions show the most important finds and findings from more than a hundred years of excavations in Vindonissa.
Stiftung Bahnpark Region Brugg
1.2km from Königsfelden Monastery
The Foundation BahnPark Region Brugg or BahnPark Brugg in the Aargau Brugg maintains the locomotive station in the former depot. The Heritage Foundation SBB, the club Mikado 1244, and other private owners have stationed their locomotives here. This created the largest collection of operational standard-gauge steam locomotives in Switzerland.
1.82km from Königsfelden Monastery
The Bruggerberg is a Jura mountain in the Swiss canton of Aargau. It takes its name from the town of Brugg, which lies south of the mountain on the Aare. The Bruggerberg extends from the Umiken district of Bruges in the south-west to the Rein district of Rüfenach in the north-east. The easternmost section is called Reinerberg. The mountain is forested and has rugged rock walls on the southeast side, where caves can also be found.
3.4km from Königsfelden Monastery
An 11th-century fortress home to one of the most influential royal houses in medieval Europe. It was the originating seat of the House of Habsburg, one of the most influential royal houses in Europe during the Middle Ages. The castle was originally built around 1020 and extended to a double castle in the later 11th century.